Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New work bench  (Read 2032 times)

spearfish99

• Full Mayhemer
New work bench
« on: July 11, 2016, 10:56:57 pm »

I have just bought a new shed to use as a workshop, as opposed to using the garage which is a little dark and gloomy.  My current workbench has seen better days so I have decided to replace this.  I am looking for something between 5 and 6 feet long .  Have been looking on the web and Ebay, and while there is lots of choice I still haven't decided on what to go for.

Does anyone have any suggestions, basically for building/ renovating model yachts.

inertia

Re: New work bench
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 11:15:34 pm »

Unless you have other much heavier duties for it then why not use a length of kitchen worktop? The 38mm-thick type is very durable. My workshop is 5m x 3.5m and has kitchen units and worktops on three walls. One of the DIY chains usually has an offer on for this stuff - mine came from Wickes.
DM

spearfish99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 11:50:10 pm »

Hi DM,   that is certainly worth a thought. Thank you for that

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 12:56:56 am »

I agree with Dave, I use kitchen worktop too but I also bought a solid and reasonably priced office desk which you can get from Staples or online suppliers in flat pack form. It has useful drawers and a cupboard and I have covered the top with white faced hardboard as a sacrificial work surface which can be replaced when it gets worn.
Colin

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2016, 04:37:07 am »

Second hand kitchen cabinets are cheap and sometimes free.   Cupboards and drawers all ready to use!
I just use a piece of 18 mm. chipboard (MDF if you want a very smooth surface) on top.   Your local DIY store should have it in convenient 2' width and sizes.   Easy to replace when it gets too worn.

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2016, 10:00:10 am »

I also used worktop and old kitchen units ,new flat pack are not that dear . Also what I have done is have a lower work bench ,the reason when the model gets further on in the build I can still sit down to fit the internals , at normal work top height it is to high to see in so you have to stand up . The normal height is at one side ,swivel the chair the lower at the other side .
David
Two heads are better than one sheep head  as my old plant manager used to say
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 21 queries.