Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ignoring 'good' advice?!  (Read 7920 times)

inertia

Re: Why is it (Ignoring 'good' advice?!)
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2016, 07:46:47 pm »

Just to put the other side of the coin!
Perhaps some contributors albeit well intentioned come across as opinionated or condecending.
Some of us know we're not experts even though I've been dabbling for the last 50 years on & off. So when you do get feed back/advise, it is gratefully recieved but perhaps not acknowledged because of the way it's put.
I've asked straight forward guestions from posters before, only to to have a so called expert butt in with a critical post that has nothing whatsover to do with the question originally asked.
Sorry guys if you're offended, but that's how it is for me. :((
Misog

Please excuse me if I'm considered a guilty party here, but I always try to read the original post and keep my reply relevant to the question which was asked. I have seen others use broad questions as an opportunity to wax lyrical and demonstrate everything they know - or think they know - about the subject without any regard to the question asked. There are also those who join in without having read anything but the immediately preceding post; I frequently see my own words quoted in such replies.

There used to be a wonderful guy who posted on here by the name of Pete Keirle (PMK). His forum avatar was a picture of a transmitter, underneath which was the phrase "Facts, not opinion". Pete died four years ago but I've tried to hold true to his maxim.

If my replies are now to be assessed by those asking the questions on such criteria as artistic interpretation, degree of condescension, incidence of being rubbished on another forum etc then I'll have to think seriously about whether or not to give a monkey's.

....and it's "tongue"...just like this one  :P

DM

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2016, 09:35:09 pm »

Jim, perhaps I didn't express myself as well as I should have. The people who do annoy me a bit are those who expect forum members to spend their time giving advice when they themselves cannot be bothered to do a bit of elementary research first. This forum is a treasure house of information and the subject headings are clearly laid out so I would expect a newcomer to spend a bit of time looking around before simply jumping in with enquiries which are often easily answered, sometimes many times over. There is a tendency on the part of some people to treat internet forums as a bespoke solution service taking other people's time and trouble for granted. Personally I think this is lazy. Sometimes I will ask for help myself and am grateful for it but I do make every effort to solve the problem myself first.
Colin

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2016, 05:01:47 am »

Please excuse me if I'm considered a guilty party here, but I always try to read the original post and keep my reply relevant to the question which was asked. I have seen others use broad questions as an opportunity to wax lyrical and demonstrate everything they know - or think they know - about the subject without any regard to the question asked. There are also those who join in without having read anything but the immediately preceding post; I frequently see my own words quoted in such replies.

There used to be a wonderful guy who posted on here by the name of Pete Keirle (PMK). His forum avatar was a picture of a transmitter, underneath which was the phrase "Facts, not opinion". Pete died four years ago but I've tried to hold true to his maxim.
   O0 O0 :-)) :-))
If my replies are now to be assessed by those asking the questions on such criteria as artistic interpretation, degree of condescension, incidence of being rubbished on another forum etc then I'll have to think seriously about whether or not to give a monkey's.

....and it's "tongue"...just like this one  :P

DM

Couldn't agree more  O0  O0  O0
Gunna build those other boats one day.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2016, 07:51:40 am »

Then there are others.......pontificating with opening remarks...."well in my opinion"...or "from my experience" 

Yes these postings do appear on our MBM.... page after page in certain sections O0

I do feel sorry for persons who need the importance of their thoughts to be shown as pre-clipsing the subject  >>:-(

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

inertia

« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2016, 08:53:01 am »

Then there are others.......pontificating with opening remarks...."well in my opinion"...or "from my experience" 
Yes these postings do appear on our MBM.... page after page in certain sections O0
I do feel sorry for persons who need the importance of their thoughts to be shown as pre-clipsing the subject  >>:-(
Derek

Derek
You just can't win, can you?
Both of these could be intended as qualifying remarks; the first intended to indicate that the writer doesn't have any direct experience of the problem but believes he might have something valid to add, while the second means that he has done something similar etc etc.
Leave either of them out and you're open to accusations of being arrogant i.e. "My way or the highway".
And WTH does "pre-clipsing" mean?

Like I said, my contributions are free and intended to assist other people but if they're not appreciated then I'll stop posting them. If anyone really does want my advice then please send me a PM.

Suit yourselves.

DM

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2016, 11:15:46 am »

As Dave says, ' In/from my experience' can simply mean 'Works for me'.

Dave's contributions are always clear, helpful, relevant and to the point and backed up by real experience and not half baked opinion. Be grateful for them.

Colin

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2016, 01:13:08 pm »

There could also be the fact that the enquirer does not possess the "skills" to carry out a particular recommendation.

One example, the number who find "electricity" baffling. However this is no longer an issue, as we can now point them to the excellent article that spells it out simply.

With regards to looking it up, which I do, either on the forum or the web, it doesn't always work.
Example, I looked for the article on electrical referred to above but could not find it, fortunately I knew who authored it and found it that way.

I am often astounded by links that others put up in the forum and am at a loss as to how they are found. Obviously my searching skills need more work.

I used to work on the principle to never ask anyone to do what I couldn't do.
Over the years, with experience, I have learnt that, that is flawed logic. There are some who can't do it and others that can.
Which may translate to, works for me but does it work for him???

At the end of the day, let us not cut them off, even if they are lazy and that does certainly come across, this forum has good repute and needs all our support to carry it on.

So guys, keep it up I appreciate the commentary and advice.
Gunna build those other boats one day.

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
  • I spend far too much time on Model Boats Mayhem!
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2016, 03:07:12 pm »

Changing the topic slightly, if i may, i have never understood the non-members who send an email in to Martin, asking for advice about something or other. If they can send an email, they must have access to a computer, therefore why not register on the forum and post the question that way? >>:-(

chas

• Full Mayhemer
  • now in los montesinos Spain.
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2016, 03:25:41 pm »

Dave, I'm in the mood to cut through this. You know you are an expert, we know you are an expert. If you stop posting we will all badger you until you start again. If someone hacks you off and does something daft you will know they have learned an important lesson when they put it right.
 Pre- clipsing means to swipe an idiot on the ear before the rest of us get a chance😂
 No offence meant Derek.
Chas

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2016, 03:36:11 pm »

Definition of the word 'expert':

'Ex' equals past it...
'Spurt' equals a drip under pressure...
Rich

K-157 Vepr. Akula-II (project 971U)
---------------------------------------------------------------

~~~~~~~  "Motorflotes need love too...."  ~~~~~~~

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2016, 03:38:34 pm »

Yup, that's me too :}
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2016, 11:10:34 pm »

Come on Guys.....DM knows only too well my words were not for him .....and whilst I am not involved with the Black Arts, I read with interest every word he posts in these [his] helpful answers

Just for interest, I have looked the last ten [10] subject post threads from DM....and guess what?.....he did not use either of the terms that I mentioned

So from this, I am sorry Colin that you presumed my remarks were intended for DM..........

Remember Convict stock from OZ have tough skin, not thick skin

Derek

Oh...BTW..... "pre-clipsing" is a newish word for people who are abnormally interested in 'TWIT type or twitter postings'...I do not subscribe to such faceless media............
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2016, 01:11:05 am »

I wasn't referring to you Derek, just commenting generally. But never assume that people always understand what you mean unless you are explicit. That is how many misunderstandings arise on forums.

Colin

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2016, 08:16:26 am »

I am one to research the heck out of something, look at what others have done, and
then come up with some course of action or solution. A lot of times things work well.
However, one of my mentors had a phrase he used a lot. It was,

"You can't do that..."

What he really meant was, yes, builder one did it that way, real ones might do it another...
But "you" don't have those motors, you don't have his gears, so you are grabbing at straws.
"You" can copy what he did in some fashion, but... "You can't do 'THAT'."

So while good advice is abundant, it isn't always because your advice is being ignored.
It might be that someone doesn't have access to the same resources you have, and
is working with the resources that are available.

ok2

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Ignoring 'good' advice?!
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2016, 08:34:37 am »

That is true to an extent.  The type of problem originally referred to was not where resources were lacking, but where a choice of parts had been made and the poster was looking for someone to affirm that, for instance, putting a large prop on a small high revving motor would work in a tug.  Very often they are unable to accept that while unconventional ideas might occasionally work because of a fluke, conventional ideas only became conventional because they were found to work reliably.
And, of course, there are some who are utterly convinced that the rest of the world has been doing it wrong all along, especially people who have been doing it wring successfully for many years.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

misog

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2016, 05:50:53 pm »

I was determined not to get embroiled in an argument, but Stavros asked the question and I answered.

I don't know why for the hell of me, DM thinks I'm picking him out because I've never even crossed swords with him.

And I don't want to be the one that stopped him posting.

PM me if you want DM, I'd love to know why I'm The devil in disguise?

Big ego's on here!

Misog

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2016, 06:46:38 pm »

Having been model boating since 1982 and with the Display Team since just before it formed in 1986 and having been in retail, selling model boat related stuff for almost thirty years, I hope I can bring some knowledge to the party.
 This is also a long time to be dealing with enquiries from modellers of all capabilities,. Most well intentioned and answered with honest answers, based on the above (earned) knowledge base..the problem comes with those, as described in the first post, who don't seem to appreciate that someone has to take time out to explain, in great detail sometimes, the way to solve a problem, with no 'cheers, thanks for that..' at the end. This can bring out the worst in people, ( not me, you have yet to see my worst :-)) ) so just try to understand our feelings too, we are, after all only human!
 And if in the process of the above posts, I have offended anybody, don't forget, this is Model Boat Mayhem, not Model boat Po Faced, develop a sense of humour, its only little boats :-)
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 22 queries.