Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fairey Marine Huntsman 31  (Read 3532 times)

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
Fairey Marine Huntsman 31
« on: July 12, 2016, 08:27:23 pm »

As promised here's a photo of my acquisition, taken by the previous owner as I haven't had time to give it a go yet.

This will be delayed for a little longer as I've noticed a small area of bare timber on the hull which I need to touch in before it sees water.

The chap I bought it off says he bought it 15 years ago, it having been built as a display model, and he's added the electric motor etc. and has only used it a couple of times.

It's been really nicely built (in my inexperienced opinion) but I think it needs a little work in the cockpit area as it's rather bare with just one seat. I shall do some research to see what is typical.

Before using I also need to fabricate a launching trolley of some kind, because at 46", as said in my introduction post, it's a bit of a handful. Well for a beginner (second time around!) it is.

Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

inertia

Re: Fairey Marine Huntsman 31
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 08:58:54 pm »

Chris
I've seen a lot worse than that one and not many better. Shame about the vertical supports on the pulpit rail but there's nothing else obviously wrong. Hooray for the windscreen, too!
There's a wealth of photos of Huntsmen 31 on the Fairey Owners website gallery here https://picasaweb.google.com/116493500049865636778
Note that there's two pages - the H31 albums extend to the second page. It's possible to get quite lost in there and become obsessive about the detail......ask me how I know!
Dave M

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 09:24:41 pm »

Thanks for that Dave and the link - I shall peruse with interest!

See what you mean about the pulpit rail - surprised the builder did that given his pretty good eye for everything else?

I can be a little OCD about things but I must try and resist!  {-)

Nice looking boats - do you still have them?

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 09:35:13 pm »

they make fantastic models , my first IC boat was a 46" wooden 31 , powered by a hp61 glow engine , sadly sold on many years ago , however i now have 5 huntsman 31 hulls with various derivitive superstructures fitted along with an old aerokits swordsman 33

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2016, 09:55:09 pm »

Blimey, five Huntsmen! I'd be interested in seeing some pictures.

I mustn't get obsessed though, as I often do! I could quite easily start collecting the whole Fairey lineup!

I've currently got 5 motorbikes (4 Triumphs) and a scooter which I must reduce sometime in the near future.

inertia

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2016, 08:33:11 am »

Nice looking boats - do you still have them?

Yep, although one is destined to be sold in aid of the Parkinson's Disease charity. I'm building two more for various reasons and I also have two Huntresses. I guess I am obsessed....  http://www.modelboats.co.uk/albums/member_album.asp?a=38200

Triumphjohn
If you fancy building another 46" version I have a digital copy of the plans (in PDF) for the original plywood Modav kit, along with JPGs of all of the pages in the Instructions. All you gotta do is ask.

Dave M

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2016, 11:35:48 am »

Slightly off tack...here you go, Mr Milbourn sir, Swordsman has all her decals fitted, flag and burgee are en route, as are half a dozen cleats for the deck.
New radio being installed later today (Turnigy 9)

Crew will be signing on during the week ready for shakedown cruise at the weekend, then she's off to the IOW in a fortnights time.
Rich

K-157 Vepr. Akula-II (project 971U)
---------------------------------------------------------------

~~~~~~~  "Motorflotes need love too...."  ~~~~~~~

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2016, 11:45:57 am »

Six rears it's ugly head I see O0

Very nice Rich, is it all your own work?
Should look stunning in the water :-))

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2016, 11:55:28 am »

Not my work, Ned...Mr Action made the boat, I'm just adding the detailing bits to make it look like more of a Torquay/Cowes/Torquay offshore race boat.

Rich

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

inertia

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2016, 12:14:42 pm »

Very nice, Rich. I'm relieved that she survived the trip down there. Take the corners nice and wide, now - she'll bite you if you don't.
Dave M

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2016, 12:43:39 pm »

Thank you, kind sir...I well remember her predecessor's  cornering habits. It was normally "turn right now...c'mon, turn right...will you 'kin turn 'kin right...oh heck as like...rescue boat, please"

To say she was a handful was an understatement...
Rich

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2016, 12:45:15 pm »

Dave
What size are your boats, can't quite judge? If smaller i.e. the 34" versions (if I'm correct on that) I'd be interested when you come to sell one of them.
And I want one of the non-rear cabin jobbies!
Oh no, it's started!!  {-)

inertia

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2016, 02:02:54 pm »

(This conversation has been continued via Private Message).

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2016, 07:09:54 am »

ill see if i can get some pictures over the weekend , i thought i had some of all the hulls laid out on the floor but cant seem to find it . thanks for the offer of plans of the large version dave , think ill stick with the smaller versions , dont take up quite as much storage space , ive already got boats all around the bedroom walls in our one bed flat !  the next biuld will be a huntress

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2016, 04:52:59 pm »

Thanks Jon

I'll  look forward to seeing them.

I think sticking with smaller is the way to go!

Chris

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2016, 06:10:15 pm »

That's why I like my 20" Swordsman...
Rich

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2016, 07:46:49 am »

at 20" rich you should have made a huntress 23 in 1/12th scale ! the development of brushless motors and much lighter batteries is making the performance of our models much more scale like too . ive only got my 31 aft cabin running on a pair of 777 brushed motors and it just wont get up and plane unless i run on 20 plus volt lipo packs . the spear shown in my avatar is currently running a pair of 28mm 1000kv brushless motors and 11.1v lipos and flat out with almost half thhe hull clear of the water

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2016, 09:44:26 am »

I didn't build 006 Jon, I bought it ready to go, just adding a few details to it. I like to see boats running at a scale speed...006 would look silly tearing across the lake like a fast electric race boat, so I keep the throttle stick down. Same as my Akula...that's almost as quick as 006, but it looks ridiculous, so it's three clicks up on the power stick and there it stays.

I don't build any longer...nowhere to build, no room to build.
Rich

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2016, 07:12:22 pm »

I know the problem rich , I live in a one bedroom flat , building has to be in the corner of our bedroom so can't use anything too smelly or I might be floating to work the following shift !
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 21 queries.