Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Beware the Great Crested Newt  (Read 11740 times)

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Beware the Great Crested Newt
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2016, 08:12:38 pm »

Because without a licence I believe it's illegal and would probably cost him his job.

Plus a hefty fine and the possibility of a term in jail for contempt of the original court ruling.....just as any member of the public doing the same would face.

JIM.
life is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic!

bj

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2016, 08:17:11 am »

The problem is weeds, not algae, and there seems to be no way of tackling the weeds which is acceptable to Natural England  %)

Have you read http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,3150.msg38852.html#msg38852 or seen http://www.dyofix.co.uk/ which is mentioned in http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,55030.msg570721/topicseen.html#msg570721 ?
One litre of Dyofix for use in 500,000 litres cost £36 inc VAT and is allegedly plant and animal friendly (per their blurb).

Norman Castle

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2016, 09:33:16 am »

Have you read http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,3150.msg38852.html#msg38852 or seen http://www.dyofix.co.uk/ which is mentioned in http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,55030.msg570721/topicseen.html#msg570721 ?
One litre of Dyofix for use in 500,000 litres cost £36 inc VAT and is allegedly plant and animal friendly (per their blurb).

Unfortunately I understand that the Council's environmentalist has been unable to obtain from Messrs Dyofix sufficient evidence of its safety to satisfy Natural England.  Apparently there is evidence to support its use where salt water critters (shrimps?) are concerned, but not when it comes to newts ...
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but with any luck it will annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile.

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2016, 11:14:47 am »

Unfortunately I understand that the Council's environmentalist has been unable to obtain from Messrs Dyofix sufficient evidence of its safety to satisfy Natural England.  Apparently there is evidence to support its use where salt water critters (shrimps?) are concerned, but not when it comes to newts ...

In my negotiations with Natural Resources Wales ( the equivalent of Natural England ) there are no Regulations controlling the use of Dyofix because it is totally harmless to organisms.  Ask what relevant legislation makes Dyofix  a controlled product. After all, there are no warnings on cans of peas banning disposal of the dyed liquid used in the can.

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2016, 12:08:46 pm »

Took the WMBS club two years of negotiation for permission to use DYOFIX at the New Brighton lake , this time last year we were taking a lorry load of weed out every two weeks, there's nothing down there now . . .
It's got no affect on micro algae that just dies out when all the nutrients are gone , rain dilutes it , sun bleaches it , and needs to be topped up monthly x 10% plus a complete charge every three - four months , in our case that's 300g full charge, you could dose it heavier,  but that's just wasting the dye , it's not needed , you need to manage the lake by clearing out anything organic that's in there before it sinks to the bottom, weed is adaptable and can survive on almost any nutrient source.
All the relevant COSHE /data / usage charts are provided by Dyofix , so what's the objection?
Any sailing pool / lake etc will just become an eyesore when it's completely overgrown & useless .
Bill

Norman Castle

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2016, 12:57:49 pm »

Ask what relevant legislation makes Dyofix  a controlled product. After all, there are no warnings on cans of peas banning disposal of the dyed liquid used in the can.

Quite.  Apparently Kew Gardens use it at 6x or more the recommended dosage in some of their ponds, but ...

All the relevant COSHE /data / usage charts are provided by Dyofix , so what's the objection?

I have no idea.  As far as I'm concerned the fundamental problem is that common sense has gone out the window here (if indeed it ever applied).  The feeling I get is that everybody involved is preoccupied with covering their backs and trying to find some sort of compromise whereby both newts and boaters can live in harmony - in a purpose-built boating pond of less than 750 square meters!
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but with any luck it will annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile.

bj

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2016, 04:08:15 pm »

Use https://www.freemaptools.com/area-calculator.htm to work out the area of your water

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2016, 04:19:13 pm »

Natural England dont need to bother about legislation.
If they decide they are not satisfied there is no appeal
They are a law unto themselves and we employ them  >>:-( >>:-(

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2016, 02:30:30 am »

Unfortunately I understand that the Council's environmentalist has been unable to obtain from Messrs Dyofix sufficient evidence of its safety to satisfy Natural England.  ...

I have worked with councils and environmental officers before, they are grossly overworked and underfunded, and a boat pond will be very low on their list of priorities. It is possible that you are being given a line and that nobody from the council has contacted Dyofix. They have not lied to you, but read the words carefully.
I would independently contact Dyofix to if they have in fact been contacted by the council, and if there is any note or letter of approval from Natural England already.
It might also be worth contacting Natural England to see if Dyofix on any list of theirs, approved or otherwise.
You can then provide the council with the evidence it has been unable to obtain thus far. What you won't get is funding, possibly the main thing the council officers are trying to avoid. Councils usually don't have the money for all essential services, let alone supporting amenities.

Once you have this information you may have the evidence you need to get this moved up the priorities list. Visit your local Councillor. Only threaten to go to the press as a last resort, as this is the nuclear option, it is better to try to build a relationship with these people for the future.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2016, 03:05:26 am »

I would second the comments as suggested by TT........the Council staff we deal with are information collectors.......they prepare Reports to be reviewed by more senior staff....then this level of management will if they believe the Report to be technically/environmentally/commercially/legally acceptable and not place Council in any position where legal action could be considered or taken against Council...., then forward the Report to a level of decision makers within Council, who if they can see no loop holes will forward the same Report on to a Councils Councillor's meeting for debate

These independently appointed Councillor's [voted in] as members of the community are quite possibly so remote from the subject matter in question that they didn't actually realise that Council had a 'pool of water' within the confines of the Borough

So besides this.......time is getting close to the afternoon tea adjournment [so a expedient decision must be made]  ...........and this is how our Councils function

Now I am not suggesting anything here, but if you belong to a religious group, a sporting body, or any society where your local Councillor shares the same interests.......why not just pop the question over a quiet cup of tea or whatever  O0

Derek

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Norman Castle

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2016, 05:26:34 pm »

tigertiger and Derek

My local councillor's been involved for 6 weeks now and he's a decent sort of a cove, but he only knows what their environmentalist chappie tells him.  It really does seem that it's all being left to the environmentalist and a bloke from the local model boat club to sort out between them.  I'm not a member, so I'm resisting my natural instinct to shake things up a bit lest I complicate matters. 

Anyhow, the main reason I started this thread was simply to suggest that it might be as well for folks to bear in mind that this sort of nonsense can scupper their fun bigtime, so maybe have some sort of contingency plan just in case ...

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2016, 05:46:05 pm »

Well good news for our club.

The lake we are restoring is now teeming with sticklebacks and according to the experts, having sticklebacks present is a clear sign there are no newts.

Apparently sticklebacks love newt larvae  :-))

Norman Castle

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2016, 05:49:05 pm »

Apparently sticklebacks love newt larvae  :-))

Oooooooooooooooooooooh ... nice one, kinmel.

Do you reckon Amazon do sticklebacks? :}

Norman Castle

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2016, 03:07:15 pm »

Gosh, never thought of Ebay.  The only problem now is that if in due course sticklebacks, piranhas or whatever do appear in the pond, the finger will undoubtedly point fair square at muggins here ...

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2016, 04:42:05 pm »

Gosh, never thought of Ebay.  The only problem now is that if in due course sticklebacks, piranhas or whatever do appear in the pond, the finger will undoubtedly point fair square at muggins here ...

we have found our hero !  When she learned we were about to dredge the lake bed, a lady collected a lot of the fish etc and kept them in aquariums. Once the lake had settled down again she released them back into the lake.

We bought her a bunch of flowers when we discovered the value of sticklebacks.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2016, 03:54:39 am »

You can trawl the estuaries for stickleback.  ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6xLq4oYyTs

nivapilot

• Full Mayhemer
  • re-invented rc boater
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2016, 07:24:52 am »

I don't think this is live fish, only books, lures, pictures etc.

At least four "live" fish sellers on the first page....... :-))

Onetenor

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2016, 08:14:22 pm »

What about a non professional ?

Onetenor

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2016, 09:06:39 pm »

TAkE 1 or 2 Grandkids .2 holiday shop fishing nets, and two big jam jars on string. Go to your nearest natural pond or stream and  fill your boots. I mean jars . Then let the kids slip the Jackies into the boating pond. Noone  could object to kids letting their catch go surely. What a charming picture they would say Or  catch 2/3 1lb Perch and slip them in Who could object to an angler releasing his catch.?

Norman Castle

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2016, 07:22:48 am »

That would be nice.

Present situation is no change after nearly three months.   No sign of any change either until maybe November, when as far as I know the plan is for the Town Council's ranger to clear the weed if allowed to do so by Natural England. 

What happens after that, I have no idea.

lakesidebob

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2016, 09:32:22 am »

Also Beware of the Great Crested Moron,our club has just had our jetty set on fire.......
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.