Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Running a vintage Taycol Meteor  (Read 1665 times)

kiwimodeller

• Full Mayhemer
Running a vintage Taycol Meteor
« on: July 17, 2016, 06:41:46 am »

Way back there was lots of discussion about running the large series of Taycols such as Supermarine and Double Specials with modern radios and being able to reverse them. Thanks to Dodgy and others I was able to get my Sea Queen up and running with a Double Special and a 2.4G radio. It has performed well for some time. Now I want to make use of a smaller Meteor which does not have all the terminals of the large series motor but it does have a mechanical reversing switch which I think could be operated by a servo. I was thinking that I might run a speed controller in the feed to the engine and then a servo on the lever as I have plenty of channels on a modern radio. Any thoughts welcome. Thanks, Ian.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Running a vintage Taycol Meteor
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 11:31:43 am »

It beats the notion of doing major surgery on the motor hands down - go for it. 
You could use a forward only ESC plus a servo on another channel for reverse or it might be possible to use a "normal" ESC with the servo for reverse on a Y lead if it could be mechanically arranged to work the switch satisfactorily.
I think it was DG had the idea of fitting the transmitter with a U slotted guide plate so that the throttle stick had two tracks to follow, one for forward, the other for reverse, the reversing device being operated by the sideways motion of the throttle stick, but only at minimum throttle.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

chas

• Full Mayhemer
  • now in los montesinos Spain.
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2016, 02:59:09 pm »

I've tried this with the same motor, it works very well. The only downside is that in a tricky situation, your instinct is to pull the stick back for reverse. You then remember to operate the reverse switch.
 Plan manoeuvres carefully.
Chas

kiwimodeller

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 10:22:22 am »

Thanks for the encouragement. I have just found plans for the Vosper Royal Barge at 30.5" which might well be a candidate for this motor. Cheers, Ian.

knoby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 06:25:34 pm »

If you want to run it off a single stick, you could use one of these.
http://www.componentshop.co.uk/p105-single-stick-steam-engine-waterjet-reverser.html
Just replace the throttle servo with a forward only esc.
 :-))
The path of excess leads to the tower of knowledge

kiwimodeller

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2016, 06:44:52 am »

Not too worried about using just one stick as several of my other (steam) boats have separate controls for throttle and forward/reverse so I am used to that setup. Cheers, Ian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 22 queries.