Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Build Reference - Assurance Tug 1:43 scale  (Read 7976 times)

Phil Ciborowski

• Full Mayhemer
  • Live Long and Build Em All
New Build Reference - Assurance Tug 1:43 scale
« on: July 20, 2016, 01:10:40 am »

So my new winter project came - the delightful Model Slipway Assurance tug!  Ordered directly from Model Slipway too.

Now I have done a lot of digging around - and on a small level wish I had picked up the Envoy, but i like the fact that I am doing a build that I havent seen a ton of information on. Which leads me to my question..

REFERENCES! I am planning on doing a post war version - but dont know where to begin looking. Particularly for funnel and paint scheme diagrams, and an idea of where to get names, draft markings and flags for the build.

I do plan on lighting this one as well, but not really sure of what size lights to get (7mm? 10mm?) and I was looking for a basic, simple smoke unit.

IF anyone has any suggestions or tips please feel free! I have spent the last few days reading old threads, and reading the master class threads and just getting ideas, which has been great information.

Thanks in advance!
http://philciborowski.weebly.com/

Stop by my site! It's always growing!

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
Re: New Build Reference - Assurance Tug 1:43 scale
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2016, 02:52:29 pm »

Hi, probably one of the more useful Admiralty designed and built tugs, most carried on into different departments, some into P A S service some into various C D departments  and were painted buff upper works and black hulls with the usual blue funnel band and a bulwark colour band depending on what port. A good book for their history is "Fifty Years of Naval Tugs" by Bill Hannan, ISBN 0 90777i 25 4, it was a £5 new. Bill was a famous all ship \admiralty ships Pilot at Devonport.

Phil Ciborowski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2016, 06:39:58 pm »

Awesome - thanks for that tip. I will pick that book up asap! :-))

Phil Ciborowski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 02:31:48 am »

Yikes - been a while since I posted.. This was slow going at first but since Thanksgiving I have been able to get a lot done with it.

Spent a few weekends doing the interior work on the boat, creating bulkheads for ballast boxes and mounts for the motor and servo.  I finally gave it a rough paint coat to give it a finished look (something I wasnt happy with on my Tsekoa II build).

I also smoothed out the sides of the hull, and marked locations for the openings.

I made a magnetic build plate from parts picked up at the local Home Depot (10 bucks for a piece of sheet metal, and a few magnets). Keeps things square while drying.

Once the decks were fitted and the seams smoothed out (I am still working on this as it never seems to be how I want)... I began working on the supports, around the sides.

Then it was on to the superstructure, which was a bit of a challenge due to the curve. But it wasnt too bad.  The edge around the upper bridge had a weird overlap, and  I didnt have any 1/4 round to fill it, so I made a smooth curve using a technique I saw on a home improvement show that is used when adding the spackle to drywall corners... It looks way nicer in person.

Then I worked on a lot of the smaller parts, like the winch, storage lockers, pump fittings, etc.

With this build I tried my hand at creating the railings by soldering instead of superglue. While they werent perfect, they are much stronger than the glued ones used on my previous build, and with some clean up they arent half bad. I will try and see if I can improve them more before painting. Not bad for the first time soldering in 18 years!

The capping strip was done all around with stock styrene strips, and I rounded the deck edges and cap edges.  I figured I wanted to give this boat some of my own personal flair and flavor so I started small...

And rebuilt the entire steering gear hatch to something I liked better. I have to add some inspection hatches and the like to make it more than a smooth box. I will also be adding a wood deck to the fantail.

I have also worked on the towing bows, and some other smaller details this past weekend, and pictures will follow. But for now, a simple dry fit of how she looks.

Super impressed with this one, and after the experience my Tsekoa II had and provided me, I am completely hooked on these kits.. I will have to get another one for the next winter project!

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 03:22:17 am »

Phil......

This is a very tidy dry fit assembly :-)) ...I have no knowledge of the build, however wonder if the scale rudder will provide adequate steerage [for a tug vessel]

Do WEB searches reveal any feedback from other builders with respect to steerage?......or does the manufacturer 'Model Slipway' offer any comment?

I realise the FWD anchor winch & windlass is just sitting and not positioned, however the anchor chains should lay as a parallel line off the anchor drums, then in line through the chain stoppers & entering the deck hawser mouthes.......

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Phil Ciborowski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 11:54:36 am »

Derek - Thanks for clearing up the anchor winch for me. I always thought the chains lined up to the outer portion not the inside. Ill have to make a note of that, because I know it will be a mistake I will make if I am not careful.

In terms of the rudder, from what I have seen and read the size isnt an issue for this boat. I also am lucky to be able to sail on a good sized lake so I have a lot of space to maneuver.  There are a few youtube videos of an Envoy in action (same hull and rudder setup) and it seems to be pretty nimble for its size.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 09:00:03 am »

The thin drums that Derek points out are known as chain gypsy's. They have an inner profile that matches the llinks of the chain thereby adding a pulling action on the links. Photo 1

The outer drums are known as warping drums and are for looping rope around and adding a pulling action to the rope. These can usually be seen when tied up to a dock or jetty. Photo 2

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2017, 10:41:55 am »

Name correction acknowledged thanks Brian60 :-)) ...................

[I could show a Japanese translation for the Norwegian IHI Hydro-Winches  made under Licence in Japan for the first 100,000 tonner [Sig Silver], that termed the anchor winch heaving/lowering wheels as  O0 chain drums]

Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

Phil Ciborowski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 01:57:18 pm »

Thanks for the clarification - this will come in handy when I get to the finishing stages! :-))

Phil Ciborowski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2017, 02:53:27 pm »

Would adding a plate under the winch be too outside the realm of possibility? On the ferries and large ships I have been on, all the anchor winches have had been mounted on some sort of thick plate on top of the deck.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2017, 09:12:44 pm »

No Phil.......adding a doubling plate or low mounting pintel base would be prototypical of many machinery builds designed for deck mounting for a huge range of vessels......just remember to compensate for any fall of deck.............

Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

Phil Ciborowski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2017, 03:04:33 am »

Sweet - thanks! I think I will look into doing this for my build.

Heres where I stand now  - some fittings held in place with double sided tape, but theres only small things left then paint!

Super excited about this one. Looks really impressive even in filler, and white!

Phil Ciborowski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2017, 01:21:39 am »

<*< This past week was spent looking at things that I wasnt pleased with - like the railings, and some of the smaller fittings. So I swapped out the 3 rail railings on the bow to 2 rail, and It looks better to me. I also changed the taller section of railing on the deck to a slightly shorter one, and again it looks better. I added the rest of the ladders to the forward mast,  and figured I would make some more small lockers (from wood) to add to the bridge.  I also added the anchors (not shown) in a less than glamorous way -  drilling the smallest possible hole in the hull and super gluing from one side, and epoxying from the other to ensure water tightness. This was done because I have every intention of sailing in moderate to rough seas, and dont want any extra points of entry for water to sneak in.

And I also added the bit or bracing for underside detail on the mast platform. No one will ever see it, but I enjoyed adding this minor detail.

Phil Ciborowski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2017, 01:52:46 am »

It has been a while on this one, and I forgot where I had left it on here, but hopefully this update will answer some questions ... mainly "what ever happened to....?"

So I had to figure out a color scheme for my tug, and being as how I took artistic liberties with some of the configuration, I figured I would do the same with the paint... the goal was what you see in the first picture...

Then it was just time to get it done... starting small and working from there.

The lights proved a bit more tricky than my Tsekoa II build because of their size  (and I somehow forgot the stern facing light too ...)but I got them wired up and working off an independent power supply and switch.

The lifeboats were covered with grip tape and painted gray, then rigged up to the davits.

Once all the decks were painted up it was time to mask and paint the black and white for the hull.

Once the red was done I stood back and said holy this looks like a tug!

All the kit details added (boxes, railings, and the like) and it was time to ballast it out and try it in the lake - on a calm day first.

Then a night sail for the lights, and finally in a bit more choppy conditions.

That said, its not close to being done. I need to add a name (I have one in mind already) draft markings, and boot topping as well as the flag. Once that is done,  I can call it done, and be on to the next Model Slipway winter build (which I have in mind and am stocking parts for already).

Phil Ciborowski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2017, 11:50:29 pm »

Well here she is... all done.

I have an entire page dedicated to the build on my website  (thanks Photobucket  <*< )

If you want to see how we ended up here, swing over and take a look. 

http://philciborowski.weebly.com/hmrt-assurance-class-tug.html

I can't wait to build another of these Model Slipways kits. They are a true joy to work on, and the completed model is nothing short of spectacular!

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2017, 01:15:36 am »

Thanks for sharing the detailed photo build suite Phil.......this will certainly help any future builders of the kit  :-))

You may find the manufacturers would like to a reference copy  %) of your build to add to their WEB site.....Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 21 queries.