Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Order in which to spray?  (Read 2278 times)

Norman Castle

• Full Mayhemer
Order in which to spray?
« on: July 26, 2016, 02:17:12 pm »

I'm about to move on to the next step in my first attempts to spray a model with rattle cans rather than brushes and am not sure how to proceed.

Topsides has got the top coats on (this being the lightest colour), and right now the rest of the hull is rubbed down after primers ready for topcoat.  I want red below the waterline and black above it, so was going to mask off topsides, spray the hull red all over, wait for all coats to dry, then mask below the waterline and spray the black above it.

Am I going to be OK leaving the masking tape (which is Tamiya) on the topsides for as long as it takes me to do the rest, which may well be over 24 hours?  Deck is Halfords car paint which has been on the hull for a couple of weeks.

If that should be OK, am I right in thinking that I just do as above and remove the tape from both waterline and topsides as soon as the final coat of black is more or less dry? 
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but with any luck it will annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile.

chipmonk

• Full Mayhemer
  • while you are here, can you just!
Re: Order in which to spray?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 07:11:48 pm »

Hi Norman, I think you have answered your own question with your spraying program. I have lost count with the number of boats I have sprayed in that manor. The masking tape should be ok for at least 48 hrs. Just don't forget the job like I did. Went off on holiday and forgot to de-mask my project. Came back a week later and it was a little tougher than usual but the Tamiya tape came off.  Go for It.
Cheers Chris M

Norman Castle

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 09:37:16 am »

Cheers Chris  :-)
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but with any luck it will annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile.

Norman Castle

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2016, 09:45:11 am »

OK, last remaining question about this spraying lark.  Using Halfords car paints outside on a dry day with low humidity, how soon after spraying the final colour coat can I safely apply Tamiya masking tape, which will be on until three or four coats of the second colour have gone on over it?

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2016, 09:48:57 am »

Couple of days would do no harm.  You can always remove the tape with application of a warm air blower.

Hope this helps

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Norman Castle

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2016, 01:05:42 pm »

Cheers Ken.  But how soon after spraying the last coat of the below-waterline colour on a warm dry day could I safely mask that with Tamiya tape so I can put the black on above the waterline?

Glyn Roberts

• Full Mayhemer
  • Creativity is contagious, pass it on.
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2016, 02:59:24 pm »

At least leave for 24 hours.

Regards Glyn

Norman Castle

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2016, 05:41:58 pm »

Ah, OK.  Thanks for that Glyn.

Right-ho - now all I need is some more warm dry weather!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.