Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Has anyone had this happen on eBay?  (Read 2469 times)

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
Has anyone had this happen on eBay?
« on: July 28, 2016, 06:40:10 am »

Just had the weirdest experience on eBay and not sure what has happened.
I bought two fleetscale 1/128 turrets from the seller, paid the money straight away and awaited delivery. Now remember I'm not in the UK at the moment but every thing gets sent to my home address. I get a message from the seller essentially demanding positive feedback on Tuesday evening when I only bought the items on Thursday last week. I explained that it's a bit presumptuous to expect feedback when I haven't seen the item yet and it's been less than a week since the transaction. I contacted home and they said it arrived Saturday afternoon and it was everything I described it as. So I gave the feedback yesterday evening only to get a message today stating: that my money had been refunded because I hadn't given any feedback.
Nothing else mentioned, I've checked my PayPal and the money has been refunded and I checked the sellers feedback and my positive feedback is there!?!? Has anyone got ideas what on earth is happening?
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
Re: Has anyone had this happen on eBay?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 07:28:57 am »

There are a lot of Chinese sellers posing as english sellers at the moment. There only concern is to build up positive feedback. I don't know if this is because they are chinese government sponsored (more feedback more financial support) or something else. But I had a similar experience, my parts hadn't arrived after the postal date, contacted the seller who refunded cash even though I said I didn't want it I wanted the parts. The parts arrived 4 days later.

It seems they are willing to give stuff away in pursuit of positive feedback.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 08:21:59 am »

There are a lot of Chinese sellers posing as english sellers at the moment. There only concern is to build up positive feedback. I don't know if this is because they are chinese government sponsored (more feedback more financial support) or something else. But I had a similar experience, my parts hadn't arrived after the postal date, contacted the seller who refunded cash even though I said I didn't want it I wanted the parts. The parts arrived 4 days later.

It seems they are willing to give stuff away in pursuit of positive feedback.

I have had the same thing recently, for a not insubstantial amount of money
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 08:29:56 am »

I'll see what happens, could explain some of the poor grammar in the messages {:-{
Nick B

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 08:32:01 am »

Yes, similar but going back a year or more as well. Only cheapish electronic stuff but ordered from uk suppliers to get them quickly. They never arrive but the 'supplier' promises they are in the post and begs for good feedback now, even to the extent of saying I don't need to pay for the item (this was after getting a refund) when it arrives - which it never does.

I couldn't see the scam but the point above about getting grants looks plausible. They don't actually send anything at all but can point to your feedback as evidence they did and then get the grant money.

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 08:58:41 am »

It's an odd scam by giving away stuff I want if that's the case- very strange
I was expecting a message asking for the items back as I didn't receive a full 100% refund- it was the price of my winning bid minus the postage.
What would you guys recommend me to do? Do I report this to eBay or not as I've never seen such an odd transaction?
Nick B

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2016, 09:07:07 am »

It's an odd scam by giving away stuff I want if that's the case- very strange
I was expecting a message asking for the items back as I didn't receive a full 100% refund- it was the price of my winning bid minus the postage.
What would you guys recommend me to do? Do I report this to eBay or not as I've never seen such an odd transaction?

If you're ultimately happy with the end result, why bother reporting them? Why upset the apple cart if they can afford to do business this way?

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2016, 09:11:14 am »

Have a look and see if they are running an eBay store/shop.

If so forget it, as eBay will always favour stores/shops over buyers.
Gunna build those other boats one day.

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2016, 09:20:19 am »

From what I can gather the seller is an individual, standard spiel-no returns PayPal only uk buyers only, got sent the refund message at 23:31 last night UK time.
Nick B

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2016, 01:00:51 pm »

Just had a reply from the seller when I questioned why they had refunded me and their reply?
We thought we had offended you and disappointed you so the fairest thing would be to refund you and give you the items!
Well needless to say that I'm happy for only paying postage on the items and two turrets that I've been after for ages for free but what odd thing to do, definitely Chinese but got someone in the UK to operate things by the sounds of it.
Nick B

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2016, 02:25:52 pm »

I am very suspicious as to the motives involved. Perhaps I have been living in China too long.
If this has happened to you, there is no risk that I can see.
My suspicions are about the long term strategy being played out. I do know that Chinese sellers on Amazon, and perhaps Ebay have come under scrutiny for dodging VAT laws and payments.
It could be the Ch internet regulators have told vendors to clean up their act or suffer the consequences. Alibaba has come under the cudgel in the international arena for selling fake goods and getting the Ch a bad name. Baidu has also been in the news here for illegal activities in the last week.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2016, 10:41:55 pm »

Does this sound familiar?.......

I purchased a AUD$3.00 USB powered keyboard vacuum cleaner delivered free to Australia............

e-Bay asked me for an appraisal......my comment was Goods were as advertised, delivery was as advertised.......but I would not purchase another

This now is the 3rd e-mail from  sale4women.......I have advised them that I do not want a credit, but will not change my comment......

I hope there are no TRIADS  <*< living around the corner or at my local purveyor  %) of Fried Rice.......Derek

New message from: sale4women  (165,281 )

"Good morning,dear friend

I am so sorry to make you have an unhappy shopping experience, I feel sad as well, pls give me chance make you feel better,

Your feedback really harm to our seller account,could you help me revise it into POSITIVE,,you are also a good buyer I can see,wish we may keep a comfortable business relations all the way !

If we resend,it will cost more shipping fee and time waiting

So we suggest refund you ,wish you feel better, okay?
Best wishes to your families
Kind regards
Sam"

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 23 queries.