The Shipyard ( Dry Dock ): Builds & Questions > Working Vessels

Linkspan Models : MV Spirit of Free Enterprise - Development of a kit

(1/17) > >>

carlmt:
Good evening all  :-))

Now that the development of the MV Norland is well under way, the stocks have been cleared to make room for the development of the MV Spirit of Free Enterprise.
Launched in Bremerhaven in 1979, she was owned and operated by Townsend Thoresen through much of the 80s along with her sisters; Herald and Pride, before the  company was bought by P&O. Following the tragic loss of her sister ship, the Herald of Free Enterprise in March  1987, P&O modified the appearance of the Spirit. Her colours changed to P&O's blue and white livery and she was  renamed Pride of Kent.
Her hull was extended  by 31m in 1991. In 2003 she was bought by  GA Ferries and renamed the Anthi Marina to operate on routes  between Piraeus, Kos and Rhodes. She was laid up in Elefsis Bay in 2011 and finally  scrapped in Aliaga, Turkey in 2012.

Naturally, the first job was to loft out the hull form to enable the profiles to be cut and the plug to be built:

And this is a graphical representation of what the fibreglass hull shape will be in the kit:

At nearly 1.4m long and 250mm in the beam, I think she will make quite an impressive sight on the pond!!!!

:-))

Stavros:
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
Now this has got my FULL attention

Dave

Capt Podge:
Ok Carl - you have my interest piqued also. :-)

Regards,

Ray.

derekwarner:
Certainly a unique bow propulsion system Carl...... :o

Would you contemplate the FWD propeller drive in addition to the two athwart thrusters?

It is however interesting to see the size of her main engine axis and the flatness of the propeller shaft line

Derek

carlmt:

--- Quote from: Capt Podge on August 03, 2016, 10:56:46 pm ---Ok Carl - you have my interest piqued also. :-)

Regards,

Ray.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: Stavros on August 03, 2016, 10:34:01 pm ---MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
Now this has got my FULL attention

Dave

--- End quote ---
Thank you Gents!  :-))
I will update as I go along - I am designing this one in between workshop work on the Norland model.
I had an 'interesting' communication from a chap in Germany about the hull for this model - apparently, he produces a fibreglass hull at 1:100 scale and 'offered' to supply them for the kit.............at a price of close to 500 Euro each!!!  :o   I think we will produce our own........

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version