Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Broad Ambition (Star Supreme 1) Evolution of a Model  (Read 15227 times)

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
Broad Ambition (Star Supreme 1) Evolution of a Model
« on: August 06, 2016, 07:10:33 pm »

Well the build is finally here, its taken 4 years to organise a trip on my friends boat, to get some measurements and detailed photos. so now armed with everything I need I am about to proceed with making 2 models of her at 1/12 scale.
She is 40 foot long and 11'6 or 12' on the beam, (11'6" officially, but measures out in total at 12' over the rubbing strakes.
after measuring 2 weeks ago and getting intimate with the keel / hog and other parts, a workbench has been cleared and building board prepared, and the first sheet of thin ply purchases to build the frames / bulkheads. I dont expect the build to be quick, as it will be constructed in the same manner as the original, with ribs and stringers and planks.
The original Hull was the only wooden hull built, and was used to cast the mould for the remaining 5 star supreme hulls, the mould was then sold on and went on to make every Bourne 40 broads cruiser hull produced.
I am still not sure whether I will take a mould from one of my finished hulls, or not yet, if I did then it would open up a market for construction of models of all the hulls and cruisers made from the original mould, but I wonder if there is a market out there for them?
Grendel

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Broad Ambition (Star Supreme 1) Evolution of a Model
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2016, 06:26:40 pm »

a bit of progress, building board obtained (£7 with some other ply from the scrap bin of a local timber merchant) paper frame templates made and laid out on some 5mm ply, supports cut out (some have to span the doorways in the frames).
I have assistants who look after things when I am busy.
I have bought a new blade for my table saw, so that I can cut my own planking, and dug out my powered fretsaw to cut out frames.

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2016, 04:56:55 pm »

with the frames marked onto the ply and cut out, my attention turned to the keel / hog, after an unsuccessful attemt to route the curve into the hog, I made a wide fence for the router, and today managed to do a much better job, after that I used my table saw with a new blade to cut some 6mm square strip and ascertain I can cut a 2.5mm x12mm plank for the hull.

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 09:07:55 pm »

well progress has been made, the frames have been mounted on the build board, and some bending has begun.

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2016, 06:00:55 pm »

todays tasks, more strips cut on the table saw, plus the hogs were cut out and cleaned up.

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2016, 09:43:12 pm »

Ok so with the keel / hog done its time to start checking everything fits properly, frames were notched, stringers temporarily fitted.

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2016, 09:49:08 pm »

2 frames were recut to get the fit just right, and stringers refit. after this it was on to bending the thick sections for the transom, at 1 a day, this has taken over a week on its own.
once 4 were done I started doing the wood joints to make up the transom. the first mistake, starting with the worst joint.

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2016, 09:52:02 pm »

so more joints and the first transom started taking shape, and what a shape to try and make.

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2016, 10:01:27 pm »

the inner bottom corners will receive fillets before the curves are cut at the bottom corners, there is no chine, the curve bends from the side to the bottom.
Todays work was on the second transom, having learned somewhat from the first attempt, the second went a lot smoother, though I wasnt happy with one of the bent sections, so will have to wait for the replacement to dry out before doing the joints on it. a test fit on the test set up was done with the first transom, yet to be glued and it looks good.
the final picture shows both the transoms side by side.

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2016, 08:02:49 pm »

Well the transoms are finished, time to start putting things together, bulkheads joined, keel fixed and the build proper starts

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2016, 06:39:02 pm »

Well work has progressed, stringers have been glued, ribs started to be steamed and bent up, and ribs being fixed in place. a work crew have been obtained, and 1" G clamps purchased (99p each at wilko's) and the bottoms thinned slightly to fit between ribs.
using the wifes steam cleaner to provide steam for bending wasnt working out, so a wallpaper steamer was bought from B&Q for £25

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2016, 08:00:11 pm »

I have just realised that nowhere have I shown a picture of the original boat, well here we are:-

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2016, 12:31:46 pm »

more ribbing has been done, some long drill bits obtained, and the prop shaft has been drilled, I did have a block inside the hull to support the prop shaft inside, but on the transition the drill bent upward, and ended up on line but 4mm off height, so the inner block has been abandoned for now, it or a similar functioning part may go back in later.

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2016, 10:12:18 pm »

note to self, when getting wood out of the steam pipe for bending, wait until the steam stops coming out before sticking your thumb in to get the wood, or it will scald you......ouch

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2016, 10:21:59 pm »

grendel....those double length extension twist drills are marketed as "Aircraft Drills"  O0

However for the life of me I cannot understand 

1. why you would drill a long hole in an aircraft [wing, fuselage?] as the fuel would leak out
2. why you be in an aircraft with a long drill in the first place?
3. if you were in an aircraft at considerable height [above ground] and drilled a hole through the floor ...would not all of the air fall out?

Derek  :embarrassed:
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2016, 08:44:54 pm »

progress is still happening slowly, a little every day. once the ribs reached the middle the model turned around.
the solid oak for the prow arrived. Once I managed to find my big vice the skeg was bent up from 0.5mm brass sheet, using a bending jig to get to about 75 degrees each side, then using a 1/4" thick steel bar to form the corners to 90 degrees.
then I found a wooden slatted Venetian blind, this was immediately disassembled, and the plan was made to use this for the ribs, a second was found at a charity shop for £2, then they were ripped into rib sizes on the table saw, the wood is basswood (lime / linden), and this wood is a very good one for ribs, so I have changed over to using these.
some of the offcuts from these blinds have been temporarily clamped on the hull to get the shape for the front section, here it changes from convex at one bulkhead, to concave further forward, each rib is markedly different to each other, so they need to be formed in place., so faux planks were clamped in place to act as the formers, now I just need to form 2 ribs for each position.

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2016, 12:57:43 pm »

work has been progressing a little every day, so today the last of the ribs were fitted, planking next.

Stavros

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2016, 08:54:36 pm »

sorry cant resist this one................grendel you NEED to cut your toe nails  :-))

Dave

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2016, 09:52:29 pm »

what toe nails, when I was a teen I had ingrowing toenails so both big toes had the nails removed at the root, I dont have any big toe nails :-)

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2016, 12:27:01 pm »

planking has started, though I have to admit to a few problems getting the first couple of planks clamped in place at the front.
I ended up attaching extra pieces to clamp to at the front, this has helped with clamping the front of the planks..

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2016, 06:58:41 am »

planking is progressing at the rate of 1 plank a day.

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2016, 08:48:22 pm »

planking has progressed a bit, I am around the sharp curve of the hull (with 2 narrow planks to get round).
I have been researching the font for the boats name, and have had a first practice attempt of reproducing it - this is to scale with 12mm high letters

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2016, 09:14:39 pm »

Nice sign writing.    :-))

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2016, 08:54:34 am »

nearly there with the planking, top plank on one side steamed and shaped, and last but one fixed on the other side this morning.

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2016, 06:55:55 pm »

So today the last plank was glued, s now the model could come off the building board, one little area was a little low, you could just feel it when you ran your hand along  the hull, so some stopping paste was used to build it up, and sanded back.
The stand was made, the profile was taken using a bag of bamboo skewers and some corrugated cardboard. there needs to be some interior cleaning up, but its looking good.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.