Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Priceless Olympic Moments  (Read 3137 times)

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Priceless Olympic Moments
« on: August 12, 2016, 01:09:52 am »

I have just finished watching the Gold Medal match in the Olympic Men's Rugby 7s tournament. Fiji won the match beating GB 43-7 to win their first ever Olympic medal of any colour. The Fiji team is made up of part timers who all work at other jobs, whereas the GB team and, indeed, most of the major Rugby countries' teams, consist of full time professional players. The Fijians can sing too, as evidenced by their performance at the end of the match. Well done Fiji, a wonderful story. :-))

Meanwhile, the last I heard Australia was playing France to determine 7th and 8th places - not our finest moment in Rugby <:(  At least GB won silver.

Peter.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Priceless Olympic Moments
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2016, 01:48:06 am »

I think the Team GB Womens Synchronised swimming team would have done better!

Fiji did beat some pretty good teams to get to the Finals as well.

All I can say is well done to Fiji! A well deserved Gold Medal!
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2016, 02:29:15 am »

Well!  Our womens team did a lot better.     :-)) :-))

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2016, 02:37:16 am »

I think it was the Los Angeles Olympics, where they first allowed pro sportsmen/women. This was because the Olympics had got so expensive, they argued that you needed the pro athletes to attract the sponsorship deals from the big corporations.

That was the end of an era for me. The spirit of the amateur was no longer a key aspect of the Olympics. It was also a springboard for many athletes to start as pro or semi pro athletes. As athletes moved up to pro, it gave more exposure the fresh talent coming through.
I even remember the AAA (Amateur Athletics Association) events being televised on Grandstand, and World of Sport (what ever happened to them).

Well done Fiji.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2016, 02:45:00 am »

Well!  Our womens team did a lot better.     :-)) :-))

Absolutely, they won the Gold Medal O0

Peter.

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2016, 07:20:36 am »

This surely fits the bill of Priceless Olympic Moments

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=irish+olympics+spike+milligan&view=detail&mid=8D4CFFA45BC57545890E8D4CFFA45BC57545890E&FORM=VIRE

Sorry guys about hijacking the thread, don't know what came over me.

Please move it to Humour.
Gunna build those other boats one day.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2016, 11:42:44 am »

Quick question? If it's summer here in UK, how come the "Summer" Olympics are on in Rio?

Hellboy Paul

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2016, 11:49:56 am »

Also, why do a lot of the medal winning competitors insist on trying to eat their medals?

Are they that Hungry, is the food in Rio that bad??

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2016, 12:20:01 pm »

They are checking if the medals are real gold, just like in the Hollywood movies.  %) %) %)

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2016, 12:22:17 pm »

Quick question? If it's summer here in UK, how come the "Summer" Olympics are on in Rio?

They are closer to the equator and get the sun earlier and for longer than UK. %% %%

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2016, 12:38:48 pm »

If it's summer in uk it's winter in Rio. We get at least 5 hrs more daylight than Rio.
Jerry.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2016, 12:51:44 pm »

Well done to Fiji for conforming to the original Olympic ideal as part timers.

I think some of the sports are something of a charade really. Doping is reprehensible of course but it is perfectly OK to buy an advantage if your pockets are deep enough. The cyclists have their hi tech bikes made of exotic materials and aerodynamic skin suits. The archers have bows festooned with gadgetry that would make Robin Hood boggle, the shooters have what appear to be sniperscopes no doubt fitted with costly optics etc. This morning on TV they showed one of the rowing clubs which supports Olympic swimmers. Their shed was just stuffed with racing shells that they proudly confirmed cost around £40,000 each. I don't like to think what they do to the horses...

Give the cyclists Boris Bikes, T shirts and shorts and a standard cycle helmet. The record times would come down but all competitors would be on an equal basis. Likewise give the archers longbows and the shooters Colt 45s and Winchester rifles. Fun all round!

Colin

petermun

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2016, 02:28:00 pm »

Colin,  heartily agree, how can real amateurs compete with people earning millions?

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2016, 02:36:53 pm »

Well done to Fiji for conforming to the original Olympic ideal as part timers.

I think some of the sports are something of a charade really. Doping is reprehensible of course but it is perfectly OK to buy an advantage if your pockets are deep enough. The cyclists have their hi tech bikes made of exotic materials and aerodynamic skin suits. The archers have bows festooned with gadgetry that would make Robin Hood boggle, the shooters have what appear to be sniperscopes no doubt fitted with costly optics etc. This morning on TV they showed one of the rowing clubs which supports Olympic swimmers. Their shed was just stuffed with racing shells that they proudly confirmed cost around £40,000 each. I don't like to think what they do to the horses...

Give the cyclists Boris Bikes, T shirts and shorts and a standard cycle helmet. The record times would come down but all competitors would be on an equal basis. Likewise give the archers longbows and the shooters Colt 45s and Winchester rifles. Fun all round!

Colin

A Fair point
Maybe they should give them all the same equipment, which is handed out at random.... like school sports day when you were a kid
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Shiver me timbers...I've spilt me glue!
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2016, 02:54:24 pm »

I agree that the Olympics has become just like any other sport-sponsored and money driven. No longer about amateurs battling together, pro's shouldn't be allowed to take part in any events. I have nothing against the hi-tec equipment used but it should be the same across the board, same bike, same helmet, same gun, same bow, same running shoes etc etc etc. The skill should come from the athlete alone on a level field.

And to get back to the original thread: Was lovely to see Fiji excel and win, well done! Some of the giants fell away...so much for their prowess in the sport  :embarrassed:
My models are not nice, clean and ship-shape. They be mucky, grubby, rusty and smelly.

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2016, 10:56:14 pm »

Fiji played brilliantly and GB looked like lumbering carthorses by comparison. However, I'm not sure where the idea that they are all part-timers comes from, e.g. Leone Nakarawa has been playing pro-rugby for Glasgow Warriors for the last couple of years and is off to France for the coming season.

Barry M
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.