Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Ebay shady dealing again...  (Read 8490 times)

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
Ebay shady dealing again...
« on: August 15, 2016, 06:53:51 pm »

I ordered a new soldering iron today from Ebay and to all intents and purposes I bought it from a UK dealer as per the location below....

Super_stylish365
Postage:    Free   Economy Delivery
    Item location:Leicestershire, East Midlands, United Kingdom
    Posts to:   Worldwide

How surprising that when I got my Paypal confirmation it came out to this name......
You have sent a payment of £37,46 GBP to 深圳市易佰贸易有限公司 (Xixixi0598@163.com)
Thanks for using PayPal. To see all the transaction details, log in to your PayPal account.

I know we discussed this a couple of weeks back, but isn't it time that Ebay got its act together and displayed correctly who you are buying from? You try and support UK business yet are hoodwinked by Chinese companies.

I have no problem buying from Chinese outlets, but I want to choose where I put my business not be conned into buying from Chinese hiding behind UK names and addresses. Be upfront and let us make the choice.

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Ebay shady dealing again...
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 07:30:21 pm »

Hear. hear Brian.  O0  There is a forum on Ebay where you can put your points and air any grievances.
Not that it will guarantee any action, but it will make you feel that you are doing something.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 07:23:49 am »

I'll go have a look for it Nemo :-))

Vts99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Clydebuilt = best built
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 08:39:22 am »

Totally agree . Those that saw my post on Facebook page may of saw the speed controller I bought that showed uk supplier . Yet I have just received a mail in what can only be said as broken English asking if it's OK to refund half of my money and get it repaired locally so guessing from the wording this may if been a similar situation

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 09:09:41 am »

As has previously been postulated, we suspect many of these Ebay Sellers are full Chinese companies which ship products across in batches then distributed from an Arthur Daley style 'lock-up' under an out-of-town railway arch somewhere here in Britain.

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2016, 09:37:10 am »

I believe they sell nuclear power stations as well, if yours suffers a core meltdown they will send you another one for free....

Colin

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 09:39:15 am »

The only way you will reach satisfaction and get your goods from who you want, is not to buy on ebay but go directly to a company of your choice.

You may pay extra to those prices on ebay, but you pay for that choice. Buy cheaply, buy falsely

Caveat emptor, is a phrase I learned to my expense some years ago.

Jim.
life is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic!

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2016, 09:49:29 am »

Agree with Jim, I always try to support UK based companies whenever possible. OK, much of the stuff still originates in China but you do have somewhere to go to for redress if something goes wrong and there will usually be a good degree of quality control so less chance of that happening.

Colin

craggle

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boaty McBoatface
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2016, 10:24:46 am »

Happened to me recently too.
Ordered something from ebay that was described as in the UK and the paypal payment came back to a very similar Chinese name as yours.

It arrived however two days later using Royal Mail 48hr delivery and it has a return address in Gateshead. It's possible that the seller may be overseas but uses a distribution centre here to forward the items as Martin suggested.
Couldn't fault the service so left positive feedback.

Craig.

Model Slipway Envoy tug built.
Huge Lifeboat under construction.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2016, 10:56:38 am »

Revenue and Customs are investigating these types of sellers on Amazon (possibly ebay as well), because they are evading VAT. It may be that if enough of these things are reported to R&C the VAT man will put pressure on ebay, or even investigate the sellers.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

StarLocAdhesives/FiveStar

• Full Mayhemer
    • StarLoc FiveStar quality adhesives and glues at FMK
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2016, 03:05:53 pm »

Its no use reporting to HMRC, people need to get the law changed and it will not be easy as its not just the model trade , its common practice in the trade in most retail type items.

It seems to be quite normal procedure these days for people to stock an item in the UK as a freight forwarder,  the seller is outside Europe, eg. in China but delivery is made by a warehouse inside Europe such as the UK, Germany.

If you report it to the HMRC they say its quite legal, the transaction  is made outside of Europe and the companies are just freight forwarders no UK transaction takes place only import and vat as they enter the UK, they claim the VAT back and then... often... some sellers... they value the item blow an amount required to pay any when they sell to you as value is what they pay for it...

Many of the sellers use the same companies to deliver, known as fulfilment centres.

I bought solar panels, laser cutter, stainless chemical reactor, bottle cap unscrambler from stock held  in the UK or Germany this year and all delivered from UK stock but payment to UK or Germany sounding company location London or Hamburg, payment actually to China by paypal 
Formulators and manufacturers of quality adhesives and surface coatings for industrial , DIY & modelling sectors since 1988
See us online   www.shop-4-glue.com
on ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/gianthairyhedgehog/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

spearfish99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2016, 04:35:43 pm »

When I first started to buy items from Hobbyking  ( before their UK and European sites existed)  you knew that you were buying from the Far East and would have to pay appropriate shipping, but their web page had a section where you could choose what % of its actual cost went onto the customs declaration form stuck on the package !     They seem not to do this anymore

mook

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2016, 05:23:01 pm »

I've had this several times on Amazon should be a law against it. They should make it clear on the advert where the item is coming from

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2016, 05:23:23 pm »

The only way you will reach satisfaction and get your goods from who you want, is not to buy on ebay but go directly to a company of your choice.

You may pay extra to those prices on ebay, but you pay for that choice.
Jim.

That isn't correct anymore Jim. Quite often I have found Ebay seller price are the same or higher than normal outlets. The reason I use them nowadays is for free postage (yes the price is jacked up to cover it) But its far quicker to search Ebay for a dealer than any other method. Hence why I said I thought it was a UK seller, not a Chinese one in disguise. I never buy auction items - I've found that a waste of time and open to abuse. I only deal with sellers who have an online shop and a 'buy it now' price.

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2016, 07:02:28 am »

Bottom line, fleabay don't care, so long as they are getting paid.

The fault probably lays with Paypal, who facilitate these types of transactions. They also don't care as they get paid as well.

Gunna build those other boats one day.

Tug Hercules Fireman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2016, 10:26:46 pm »

Fleabay / e-Bay owns PayPal.; same company.
Tug Hercules
Fireman Rick

“Ideals are like the Stars; We never reach them, but like
Mariners of the Sea, we chart our course by them.”

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2016, 10:31:09 pm »

methinks Not

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2016, 11:41:15 pm »

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2016, 06:52:56 am »

Martin's link makes interesting reading. O0

Whilst no longer being "owned" by fleabay, there are links.

These people, are traders, have shops, and bring in revenue to both, Fleabay and paypal, so you can work out who has the upper hand.

Their conditions of trading, which are automatically accepted by you, when using their services make sure of that.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2016, 08:49:05 am »

Hi all, do not mean to divert the thread but under the heading 'dodgy deals' a friend bid and won an auction for a car to be told when arranging payment and collection that it had been sold else where.
I suggested he left negative feedback, but he pointed out it did not get him the car.
Not sure what the legal side is in this.
regards Roy

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2016, 06:49:00 pm »

Hi all, do not mean to divert the thread but under the heading 'dodgy deals' a friend bid and won an auction for a car to be told when arranging payment and collection that it had been sold else where.
I suggested he left negative feedback, but he pointed out it did not get him the car.
Not sure what the legal side is in this.
regards Roy

This is standard practice when the 'auction' doesn't reach what the seller really wanted or expected.
-ve feedback is good in these cases because it pre-warns the next unsuspecting buyer(s) bidding on the car when it is re-listed.

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2016, 02:46:23 am »

Been awhile since last used fleabay, seem to recall you cannot leave negative feedback????

And yes, it is common practice, for sellers to say item has been sold, or no longer available, if their "reserve", which is not made public, has not been reached.

Hellboy Paul

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2016, 07:02:02 am »

Been awhile since last used fleabay, seem to recall you cannot leave negative feedback????

Buyers can, sellers can't...

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2016, 07:09:22 am »

Buyers can, sellers can't...

Thank you  :-))

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2016, 09:00:47 am »

The last time I tried to leave negative feedback I was refused. I got a pop up telling me use the resolution centre first. Another reason why I don't use the auction function to bid for stuff. I use buy now. If I see something I want and the price is right I buy it from the dealer, never privately, which brings us back to the original question - how do we know who we are buying from!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 22 queries.