Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Billing Boats Calypso  (Read 13335 times)

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Billing Boats Calypso
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2016, 12:12:23 pm »

Most of the brass model props are really effective in reverse, I think the main problem I had with the billings props was they distorted under pressure, my diving support vessel with brass props can travel almost as fast in reverse as it does forward, great for stopping in a hurry  :-))
I haven't finished my full sized boat just yet but I look forward to trying out your little trick.

Phill
People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
Isaac Asimov

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2016, 12:31:37 pm »

Ah OK, the shafts are now 4mm but the props are still plastic. I'll go with them to start with & maybe change later on.
Interesting that you say they had little effect in reverse as marine propellers are much less efficient when going astern but this can be useful as at low speed the "paddlewheel" effect is enhanced which can be used to advantage when your boat has a single shaft & no bow thruster. On one occasion I used this technique to get around an obstacle & into a tight mooring space. Another boater actually ran up the towpath to ask my crew (wife) "how did he do that?" My hat didn't fit for weeks after.
I'm looking forward to comparing model boating to the real thing although twin screws are a different ball game to what I had.
Thanks for the reply.

After having boats all my life in my family until just a few years ago I'd love to have a cruiser again.

Sadly it was a family decision to sell the property we had with a landing stage and I don't want to get into paying for moorings etc.

Two family members have narrow boats but it's not my thing.

Getting into the Fairey Marine range of model boats is my fix!
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

neilesmith

• Full Mayhemer
  • What instructions?
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2016, 03:03:04 pm »

Most of the brass model props are really effective in reverse, I think the main problem I had with the billings props was they distorted under pressure, my diving support vessel with brass props can travel almost as fast in reverse as it does forward, great for stopping in a hurry  :-))
I haven't finished my full sized boat just yet but I look forward to trying out your little trick.

Phill

Interesting, I wouldn't have thought that these props would distort under the sort of pressure I imagine they will be under but I will keep it in mind.

What are you building full size?

Neil

neilesmith

• Full Mayhemer
  • What instructions?
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2016, 03:07:56 pm »

After having boats all my life in my family until just a few years ago I'd love to have a cruiser again.

Sadly it was a family decision to sell the property we had with a landing stage and I don't want to get into paying for moorings etc.

Two family members have narrow boats but it's not my thing.

Getting into the Fairey Marine range of model boats is my fix!

I have also sold my boat now & frankly wouldn't want another, not on the Thames anyway. Too many rowers & not enough mooring spaces, not too mention the expense. I'm not familiar with the Fairy Marine range, will check them out.

Neil.

neilesmith

• Full Mayhemer
  • What instructions?
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2016, 03:23:44 pm »

I'm getting a bit frustrated now as I don't have enough information to be able to proceed with confidence. The Haynes manual turned out to be a big help with HMS Victory but the Calypso book is still weeks away apparently. I hope that when it arrives it will be really helpful as my research on-line is not giving me what I need. Any leads on good information such as accurate plans would be very welcome.

Neil.

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2016, 09:45:29 pm »

Calypso started life as an American-built BYMS (minesweeper) for the Royal Navy. You may find information under that heading.
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.

tsenecal

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2016, 10:46:26 pm »

neilesmith,

i have that exact same "calypso" book.  I did not buy it for the calypso, but something else, a "part" of the calypso.  The book is more of an "artistic" collection than an "accuracy" document.  however, it does have a chapter labelled "Anatomy of Calypso" which may help, and of all things, the inside front cover and back cover have a lining that maybe best described as a "plan", with enough info in them that you could probably draft lines for an accurate hull from them.

FYI, I bought it for the illustrations on page 52.  luckily for me, i was able to find it used on ebay for $10 plus shipping.

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2016, 12:08:21 am »

Neil

Berkely Engineering mini tug boat :)

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
Isaac Asimov

neilesmith

• Full Mayhemer
  • What instructions?
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2016, 11:38:51 am »

Calypso started life as an American-built BYMS (minesweeper) for the Royal Navy. You may find information under that heading.

Yes, thanks I was aware of her history but it hasn't helped much. I even came across a guy who is converting the model back to minesweeper configuration as used by Finland if I remember correctly.

Neil

neilesmith

• Full Mayhemer
  • What instructions?
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2016, 11:41:49 am »

neilesmith,

i have that exact same "calypso" book.  I did not buy it for the calypso, but something else, a "part" of the calypso.  The book is more of an "artistic" collection than an "accuracy" document.  however, it does have a chapter labelled "Anatomy of Calypso" which may help, and of all things, the inside front cover and back cover have a lining that maybe best described as a "plan", with enough info in them that you could probably draft lines for an accurate hull from them.

FYI, I bought it for the illustrations on page 52.  luckily for me, i was able to find it used on ebay for $10 plus shipping.

Sounds a bit disappointing & I have paid £29 & still have to wait weeks for it.

Neil

neilesmith

• Full Mayhemer
  • What instructions?
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2016, 11:46:30 am »

Neil

Wow! I just googled them. What a great project, are you documenting the build anywhere? I would love to follow you to completion.

Neil

Berkely Engineering mini tug boat :)

neilesmith

• Full Mayhemer
  • What instructions?
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2016, 07:53:33 pm »

At last I have the book! There is a plan inside the front & back covers, it is a much smaller scale than the model so it's difficult to get really accurate measurements, but it definitely confirms that the forward hull is not tall enough so I will have to work out the best way to build it up.

neilesmith

• Full Mayhemer
  • What instructions?
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2016, 07:57:17 pm »

Meanwhile I have fitted cross beams to maintain the hull shape so the whole superstructure will be removable & started planking the deck.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2016, 10:26:42 pm »

Vac form can be hateful especially on smaller kits and parts so I salute your perseverence.

A lot of resin kits and small run kits in the lilitary modelling world are just as frustrating. Again, you spend much money on a product you expect to be tip top because the designer/manufacturers want to do better than the plastic it manufacturers but still sell a kit that needs lots of remedial work including not a small amount of scratch building. I bought one kit where despite the designer being a top classscratch builder, he could not make a door and its apeture the same shape! Madness sheer madness.

I look forward to seeing your progress. Stan (See his Schutz build in the Warships section and another fishing boat) has done loads of work to his models that started life as kits.

I appreciate that the manufacturers are cottage industries, but all the same, parts fit should be an important selling point.
Pond weed is your enemy

neilesmith

• Full Mayhemer
  • What instructions?
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2016, 02:53:39 pm »

Vac form can be hateful especially on smaller kits and parts so I salute your perseverence.

A lot of resin kits and small run kits in the lilitary modelling world are just as frustrating. Again, you spend much money on a product you expect to be tip top because the designer/manufacturers want to do better than the plastic it manufacturers but still sell a kit that needs lots of remedial work including not a small amount of scratch building. I bought one kit where despite the designer being a top classscratch builder, he could not make a door and its apeture the same shape! Madness sheer madness.

I look forward to seeing your progress. Stan (See his Schutz build in the Warships section and another fishing boat) has done loads of work to his models that started life as kits.

I appreciate that the manufacturers are cottage industries, but all the same, parts fit should be an important selling point.
Madness is right. If you are going to provide brass frames for the portholes why not laser cut the holes for them the right size? Billing made them all too small which is doubly stupid as the brass part has a lip which would cover an oversized hole.
The base for the crane doesn't fit where the drawing shows it either.

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2016, 03:11:19 pm »

P/M sent  having built numerous kits you may find that some parts are better disposed of and remade from sheet plastic. I have found  vac form  can be very thin in places and this can cause problems when gluing.

Stan.

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2016, 05:20:58 pm »

Hi Niel just a few pictures showing parts from a kit that have been  rebuilt using other materials. I find it easier to remake some parts than trying to make them fit.

Stan.

tica

• Full Mayhemer
    • Skalamodelskibe
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2016, 08:05:38 pm »

At last I have the book! There is a plan inside the front & back covers, it is a much smaller scale than the model so it's difficult to get really accurate measurements, but it definitely confirms that the forward hull is not tall enough so I will have to work out the best way to build it up.

Hi Neil

Just mailed you a link for some drawings, check them out and download them if you can use them.

Br
Carsten
My postings are only reflecting my own opinion and should not be read as the holy grail of truth :-)

neilesmith

• Full Mayhemer
  • What instructions?
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2016, 04:13:18 pm »

Thanks to everyone who has offered help & advice but my enthusiasm for this project has waned to the point where I have decided to abandon it and concentrate on my many other jobs. When I can find a suitable box to pack it I will be listing on E-Bay. In the mean time if anyone can collect from near High Wycombe for £300 cash they can have the complete kit as started by me plus 2 motors with couplings, 2 battery packs, 1 servo, all new & unused, and the book.

neilesmith

• Full Mayhemer
  • What instructions?
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2016, 09:08:56 pm »

Thanks to everyone who has offered help & advice but my enthusiasm for this project has waned to the point where I have decided to abandon it and concentrate on my many other jobs. When I can find a suitable box to pack it I will be listing on E-Bay. In the mean time if anyone can collect from near High Wycombe for £300 cash they can have the complete kit as started by me plus 2 motors with couplings, 2 battery packs, 1 servo, all new & unused, and the book.
Oh & 2 new waterproof ESC's

neilesmith

• Full Mayhemer
  • What instructions?
« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2016, 03:04:25 pm »

Oh & 2 new waterproof ESC's
ESC: - 2 x HM-50 Waterproof Marine ESC
 Coupling(s): - 2 x Perkins (JP5511XX) Cardan + correct size adaptors
 Electric Motor(s): - 2 x Mtroniks M500 6.0v - 12.0 + mounts
 Rudder Servo: - 1 x Hitec (HS-311) Standard S
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 22 queries.