Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie introduction  (Read 1463 times)

dirkske

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Newbie introduction
« on: August 21, 2016, 10:37:19 am »

Hi,

I'm from Belgium, typically doing some very mild RC flying. 

Lately got interested in resurrecting my childhood Robbe Katja which was given to me as Christmas present, build by my dad.  God knows in what year.
She has seen water only a couple of times, NiCd's did not live long back then. Which was kind of disappointing for a kid, especially when dad wanted to do quite a bit of boating as well (on the same charge).
- I plugged a leak due to cracked hull ('hangar rash'). Used Tec7 since my dad's attempts (years ago) using polyester did not fix it but made for a mess I need to work around. The Tec7 seems to do a good job on both the ABS and polyester resin.   
- Still need to procure a speed controller (brushed, this things are apparently becoming distinct); the original one somehow 'disappeared' over time.
- I will be using a 2S 4.5Ah LiPo I have sitting idle
- Once back in working condition I'll be joining a local club so Katja can be where she belongs, in the water :)
- Next up most likely a Springer, or if I'm still feeling brave when starting, the RCM 1990 Santander (nostalgia, drooled over it back then, thanks to rcgroups I recovered the related article )

Well, that's me and my status relating RC boating...

rnli12

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Newbie introduction
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 11:30:18 am »

Hi,

Welcome to Mayhem, post up some pics as we all like to see who is doing what in the model boat world.

Regards,

Rich
Regards,

Rich

dirkske

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 05:53:23 pm »

Hi,

Welcome to Mayhem, post up some pics as we all like to see who is doing what in the model boat world.

Regards,

Rich

Current state of Katje, including some pictures of the not-so-nicely-executed attempt to fix the crack with polyester.
Still some seeping of water via drive shaft; even when not running (hull weighted down to exert some water pressure).  Hope some fat at the end will stop this, I don't think there's a way to work it into the shaft.

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats a hole in the water you pour money into!!!
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 09:16:38 am »

Hi Dirkske

I use plumber's silicone tap grease, works great.
Nice little boat!

Welcome to the forum, ask any questions we aim to help all.

Canabus
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.