Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Not quite such a newcomer to this Forum.  (Read 1849 times)

Ron Rees

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Not quite such a newcomer to this Forum.
« on: August 22, 2016, 05:16:03 pm »

Hi All,

I've only been a member for two years or so!! and have only just found out that I had post (In another area) So I apologise to everyone out there who had already sent me stuff.  Well, I better send off the Intro....I'm new to this Forum...bit, albeit a little bit late!!.

I am Ron Rees, a 68 year old retired Technology teacher and modeller since the age of 5 when my Grandad helped me build a Galleon out of a Log of wood!  It promptly rolled over. Since then I hope my efforts have improved a bit.  Like a lot of us 'Experienced' people I have been through the plastics, freeflight, R/C aircraft and helicopters and this is my second and much looked forward to return to building Model Boats. I was member of the Victoria MSC in Hackney back in the late sixties but had to stop all that because 'Life' and kids and work, got in the way....Although I did run my own model Shop in Essex till dear old Maggie T came along. I am now a member of a fine band of stalwarts who go by the name of the Fishers Green Sailing Club (Model Section) and we have lovely sailing waters and facilities near Waltham Abbey in Essex.

Now fully retired I 'play' with model boats of all types and enjoy devising new ways to make them, power them and so on. Some of my efforts have come to light through the auspices of Model Boats magazine and I really enjoy the feedback from modellers out there, Now I'm no Glynn Guest, although I have built a few of his and would hope, some time in the future that he may give credence to my innate drivel and efforts by having a go at one of mine
In the mean time best wishes to all and how do I post a picture on this damn thing!!!

Happy Boating.........Ron Rees.

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
Re: Not quite such a newcomer to this Forum.
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 05:25:01 pm »

Welcome aboard to the MBM

Seaspray

Ron Rees

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 05:32:24 pm »

Thanks Seaspray.

Got your message, it will be in the post tomorrow, enjoy, its a good book.

cheers...Ron.

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 05:34:17 pm »

looking forward to reading it thanks again

Seaspray

Ron Rees

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 06:13:32 pm »

Hi Seaspray again.

Went off, well packaged today about 11.am, let me know when it arrives.

Cheers.....Ron

Ron Rees

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2016, 06:18:20 pm »

PS...

Saw the new (old) aquisition...weird looking cabin, but hull looks pretty good, how big is it?. Looks a bit like the hulls a firm called MFA used to do like the Phantom etc. pretty fast hull if it is and originally designed for a .40 ic engine. Go for a chunky brushless motor, that'll really set your pulse racing.

Cheers.....Ron.

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2016, 06:36:47 pm »

Hi Ron

The cabin does look like an odd sod hence the idea of changing it to a MTB Its 48 inches long a good 9 inches wide big chunky hull and heavy  Too busy trying catch up on the Scotia build

Iam having trouble with my replies to as I lost my Live Mail Microsoft doesn't support it any more

Brushless motor another field I'll have study up on and go for that

Seaspray

Ron Rees

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2016, 09:03:29 am »

Hi Seaspray,

Glad it got there OK.

You mentioned possibly using a brushless in your monster when you get a chance. Have a look on the Hobbyking site. I only use brushless motors now, they are brilliant. I have a similar sized 'V' hulled boat and have bought a Turnigy G60, 400KV motor. This puts out 700 Watts of power on a 5 cell Li-Po pack, that is nearly One whole horsepower!!!. This will drive a monster 3 blader and go really well. They do a range like G25, G40 and so on with the number relating to the equivalent size in an i/c engine. Silent and powerful, fantastic and not really silly money.

Get back to me if you are unsure about anything brushless, glad to help if I can, and yes, I would change the cabin to something MTB-ish.

All the best, happy boating.

Cheers Ron.

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2016, 09:29:24 am »

Hi Ron
I'll keep in touch cause all that spec you said about brushless motors is gobly gook till I study up on them. Yea MTB is the way to go and have been looking at some of the plans at My Hobbystore

Seaspray

Ron Rees

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2016, 02:19:32 pm »

Hi again,

If you get Model Boats magazine, I wrote a simple to understand article about brushless motors back in 2013. (Model Boats June issue 2013).
It is still available to read on the Model Boats website or you can get a copy from their 'Back Issues' section.

I had a lot of good feedback from it at the time (also some 'Rubbish' feedback!!)....anyway, other people have also covered the subject, like Dave Milbourn, now working with Component Shop, which is also useful.

If you can't get hold of a copy let me know and I'll photocopy one.

While a basic article aimed at dyed in the wool Brushed motor users, it does explain what all the ' Gobbledy Gook' means. Suffice it to say you will never be happy with the performance of your new aquisition without using something like a Jaguar heater or starter motor. Brushless motors are Sooooo powerful.

Anyway, just thought that might help.

Cheers for now...........Ron.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 22 queries.