Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New member  (Read 1335 times)

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
  • Never too old to learn !
« on: August 24, 2016, 07:29:47 am »

I have just retuned to r/c model boating as I start my belated retirement !

When I was a lot younger I used to help run the model boat club in Bath where we met every Sunday and some evenings at the Avon and Kennet Canal and also on the River Avon at Saltford, but we also travelled to meet up with friends at many other stretches of water in the area.

My interest then was ic model boats - my favourite being my Fairley Marine Swordsman that I built from an Aerokits kit that I  also raced in one of the early rounds of the off-shore championships when a small group of us travelled down to Torquay at "silly o'clock" one Sunday morning !

That model was powered by a Merco 61 twin-plug engine - we never used electric motors in the '60's but now these water-cooled nitro engines are seldom seen (or welcome) at any of the clubs I have visited recently.

I have lived up north for the last 30 years or so and I am now a member of the Southport Model Boat Club and enjoy going there most Sunday mornings.

My main interest now is in 1/24 scale coastal command model boats and hope to start building something very soon but in the meantime I enjoy running my 1/24 scale TID tug .......until I get something that I can make some "white water"with!

This weekend I could not resist buying a 1/24 scale Perkasa that was for sale at our club.  It is not exactly WW2 (!) but the scale was right, it has a glass fibre hull and is in need of a strip and refit  - and it is the correct scale.

One of my first postings (when I find out where to place it) will be to try and find a set of plans for this model to help me when I rebuild it - especially to try and find the correct location of the various parts as I rather suspect the model that I have has some fairly "random" placements and when I rebuild it I would like to  end up with a well finished model that at least looks like the real thing !

I apologise for my long "intro" and look forward to enjoying my membership of Model Boat Mayhem !

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats a hole in the water you pour money into!!!
Re: New member
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 08:42:29 am »

Hi Zooma

Welcome to the forum.
My mate is still building his Aerokits Swordsman(40 years or so), it is finally into paint.
Helped him out with a brushless motor setup which will give it about the same speed as the old MERCO 61, but, no starting problems.
My Swordsman has been lengthen(mainly to get the Lipo batteries in-between the frames ) and customized with a mix of Aerokits other designs.
Yes I have a PDF copy of the plans, so if you wish to build another you can have the file for FREE.

Can-on-a-bus

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
  • Never too old to learn !
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 10:56:27 am »

Thanks for the offer of the PDF - it is the 1/24 scale Perkasa I need the plans for.

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats a hole in the water you pour money into!!!
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 12:26:54 pm »

Hi Zooma

I will ask around 4 ewe!!

Other website build link http://model-boats.com/builds/view/13599

Ewe will have to log on to get full pics.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 22 queries.