Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LUNCH IN ST. NAZAIRE  (Read 2235 times)

Roger in France

LUNCH IN ST. NAZAIRE
« on: August 11, 2007, 07:05:11 am »

After much work around the house and garden I was given a day off for good behaviour! I spent it in St Nazaire about one and a half hours north of where I live.

I am assembling some photographs from that day and a local model show which I will send to Martin on a disc. The pictures will include the German submarine pens as they are today; the French sub. "Espadon" which is housed in one of the pens and open for an internal tour; and some close up shots of a modern tug which was moored in the inner harbour.

I also went and paid my respects at the memorial to the British Commando raid of 1942 and the wreck of "H.M.S. Lancastria" where 4,000 died on D Day.

My purpose in writing this message in advance is to gather some more info. on the tug before I send the photos. and commentary. There was nobody on board and so I could find no details of propulsion system; power and bollard pull etc. Does anyone know how I can search the Internet for info. on French ships?

Roger in France.

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
Re: LUNCH IN ST. NAZAIRE
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2007, 04:08:03 pm »

Roger

I don't want to teach granny to suck etc, but have you tried Googling (don't you just love these new verbs?) the tugs name or owner?  That should give you some leads.

HTH

Doug
Don't Assume Check

Roger in France

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2007, 06:37:46 pm »

Yes, I tried Google and a French Search Engine I found two photos on Ship Spotters.com but no information.

"Croisic" (the name of the tug" is also a small port in Brittany with an Aquarium, I can find more than enough info. on them (....some nice apartments overlooking the "Cote Sauvage"......) but nothing on the tug.

The French tend to be far more restricted in what information they make available on the Internet than the Brits. and seem to work from a premise, "Who are you and why do you want to know?". I caused a stir by innocently enquiring about who the Departmental Prefect  (the top Civil Servant with huge personal power appointed by the President) is here in the Vendee, I was accused of jeopardising security and making enquiries about things which did not concern me!

I was hoping there would be some central Register of Shipping but I have made no progress to date. The only other clue I have is that the owners have the insignia of a white capital letter B on a red square.

Roger in France.

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2007, 07:13:53 pm »

Roger,

As an academic exercise I googled "croisic tug" without the quotes> Got this:

www.schottel.de/uploads/PDF1157354321.pdf

www.schottel.de/frz/r_referenzen/referenzen.php?select=Hafen

bourbon-online.com/Fire-Fighting

bourbon-online.com/media/communiques/archives/en/pre_0367.htm

www.mariners-l.co.uk/EmpireT.html

www.oilpubs.com/oso/article.asp?v1=1483

uim.marine.free.fr/URO/nav-comp/URO/croisic.htm

These were all from the first page of results, I didn't look further. Is the french version of google controlled like the Chinese Version?

Anyway I hope this is of some use.

Doug

PS Christian Decharrière, 56 years, préfet of the Vendée since January 2005, is on the point of packing his bags. He will join the Loire. He will be replaced by Thierry Lataste, 53 years, current préfet of the Eastern Pyrenees. This change falls under the prefectoral movement decided Wednesday in the Council of Ministers. A movement which concerns eleven prefects in France.

This from http://www.inthevendee.com/vendee_news_story.php?news=2007-07-05
Don't Assume Check

Roger in France

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2007, 07:22:58 am »

Doug,

Your computing prowess certainly far exceeds mine, thanks.

Yes, I Googled as you did but did not get all those leads.

Roger in France.

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2007, 11:57:35 am »

Roger

No problem (20 years in the IT business must have given me magic fingers  ::)  or something).

Nice looking tug - possible next build for you?

All the best

Doug
Don't Assume Check

victorian

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2007, 10:59:53 am »

Forgive me being picky, but 'Lancastria' was sunk at the time of Dunkirk rather than D-Day, during the evacuation of France. Apparently news of the sinking was kept quiet at the time and people have only really become aware of this 'worst disaster in British maritime history' in recent years.

There is an interesting website about it here.

Roger in France

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2007, 04:25:14 pm »

Victorian.....of course you are right, sorry. Slack writing and even slacker editing on my part.

I start my return journey to France today, when I get back I will send off the pics.

Roger in France (currently in the Commonwealth of Dominica).
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 21 queries.