Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Saturn 2.4 ghz 4 channel with 6 channel RX  (Read 3883 times)

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
    • My build of HMS Illustrious 87 1939-1942
Saturn 2.4 ghz 4 channel with 6 channel RX
« on: August 27, 2016, 04:31:02 pm »

I have a problem with my Saturn unit.  The receiver when switched on always flashes a slow blinking LED or None at all.  disconnected all components and just connected a 7.2 v battery to the ESC, connected a 4 cell BEC bty to connect 6 on the RX. connected the motor drive to connector 3 (throttle) (The BEC had the red wire connected on first test) and the rudder servo to connector 4. Switched on the TX unit and then the RX unit.  Red LED flashed slowly. Pushed the reset button on the RX for 2 seconds and the red LED just flashed very fast all the time.  It never stopped and I mean mins 4 or 5.

On the second test I used another ESC with the BEC red lead disconnected and the ran the same test, same result.  Removed the rudder servo and the the ESC unit and again tried . same result.

Left for a couple of hours to re read the instructions this time when I tried the last test the RX LED would not come on at all.

Also did the PDM test match and it made no difference.

Is the RX unit faulty?

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Saturn 2.4 ghz 4 channel with 6 channel RX
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 07:59:08 am »

With anything like this, there are two parts to the system.  The usual assumption is that the transmitter is working, but this can only be proved by binding it with another receiver.  If this is not possible, the problem could be at either end.
However,
disconnected all components and just connected a 7.2 v battery to the ESC, connected a 4 cell BEC bty to connect 6 on the RX. connected the motor drive to connector 3 (throttle) (The BEC had the red wire connected on first test)
using two receiver supplies of differing voltage might have compounded the problem.
Without a shedful of test gear, the only easy way to narrow down the problem source is by substitution, and that means another receiver and the hope that that is OK.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 07:51:34 pm »

will any make of 2.4 Ghz receiver work with Saturn  or do I have to have the same make of receiver.  Even Saturn seem to have changed their receivers some with two aerials and some with an X as part of the name.  Also some are marked as Air some have DMSX, DSM2 confusion reins

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 06:58:13 am »

I don't know anything about the Saturn system, but from your last post it sounds as though it is a Spektrum compatible system. Those receivers are Spektrum types. There were 3 different systems DSM, DSM2 and DSMX. These are not necessarily all the same, so you do have to find out which version your transmitter uses.
Provided you get the correct type, then a Spektrum or other compatible such as Orange or Lemon could work.

To start with however, I suggest that you remove the RX from the model and try to re-bind the Rx and Tx using just a receiver battery - not the ESC.
Having re-bound, then connect a servo to channel 3 and see if that works.

Barrie

Having done some Googling - all the Saturn sets I can find use the FHSS sytem which is not the same as the DMS/2/X system!

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 08:32:18 am »

will any make of 2.4 Ghz receiver work with Saturn  or do I have to have the same make of receiver.  Even Saturn seem to have changed their receivers some with two aerials and some with an X as part of the name.  Also some are marked as Air some have DMSX, DSM2 confusion reins

No.   Some might, but I don't know of any.  With the advent of 2.4GHz the manufacturers have seized the opportunity to totally avoid any common standards as far as possible.  Where cross compatibility between makes was once common, nowadays it doesn't always happen between ranges from any one maker.
Even where there are makes compatible with others, I suspect that the "master" producers are taking steps to ensure that any such compatibility comes to an end as soon as possible.

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 06:25:39 pm »

Malcolm

There is quite a selection of compatible Spektrum receivers available in the market place. I have successfully used three different makes with my DX5e transmitter. You still have to check the suffix to the DSM designation, but they do work. I have also seen some Futaba compatibles from the same suppliers.

Barrie

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2016, 06:49:37 pm »

I just put the question on goggle - http://www.modelflying.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=65705 - was the second hit.  Simple answer, no.  While there is a collection of "Spektrum compatible" radios, it is a good bet that the condition is not pleasing to Spektrum, and they will be working on it.

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2016, 06:59:44 pm »

While there is a collection of "Spektrum compatible" radios, it is a good bet that the condition is not pleasing to Spektrum, and they will be working on it.

Its quite possible, but I bought my first Orange RX for Spektrum about 10 years ago, and since then various other manufacturers have come along. In fact Spektrum have had to change their system three times to comply with the 2,4gHz regulations - hence DSM, DSM2 and now DSMX, and I'm not sure that is the latest. %)

Barrie

steamboat66

• Full Mayhemer
  • maybe it will float!
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2016, 09:11:56 pm »

dsmx is the current system. most spektrum dsmx transmitters will also work with dsm2, giving substantial backward compatibility. this is the reason i chose spektrum over futaba, futaba has two totally incompatible systems.

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2016, 01:48:09 pm »

Well I have found a supplier with two of the same type saturn receivers so have ordered them and will wait for them to arrive and then test them with the transmitter.   If they bind ok then I know the old was is damaged.

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2016, 08:57:23 pm »

New units arrived and worked out how to bind them all now working correctly.  Thanks for the advice and will note for future reference.  Can now run three boats from my one controller.  That has been a good thing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 22 queries.