Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tell us about your sinkings! 'Fes up !!  (Read 2832 times)

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
Tell us about your sinkings! 'Fes up !!
« on: August 31, 2016, 07:37:36 pm »

My latest was this afternoon when my destroyer was pootling around the lake and began to take on a strange 'drag-erse' look, like a Titanic in reverse! She slowed right down and stopped with the forward half pointing at the sky, whilst I was running towards the car-park to get my waders. It took me 30 seconds to return to the lakeside but she was gone. I had made a swift 'line of sight' from the slipway and was able to find her in 3 feet of dingy lake-water, by the white tip of her mast. Poured out about a gallon of lake and examined the guts. Good old Viper ESC was still blinking but receiver was assumed done for. I found the cause was the porthole Perspex had come adrift over the aft end at high speed and she had shipped enough through 8 ports to settle and take on more. However, after a few hours in the sun, all systems fired up and with a brush-down she was good as new and ready again.

At exactly the same spot some 4 years ago, my 'USS Missouri' did the same thing and survived the same fate to sail again - lucky or what?

What's your sinking story - good or bad ending?

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
Re: Tell us about your sinkings! 'Fes up !!
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 07:46:15 pm »

5ft HMS HOOD. maiden voyage done a high speed turn. she shipped water over the stern and sank in spectacular fashion. has not sailed since. been  3 years
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 08:00:43 pm »

Klunk - my destroyer is 'HMS Grenville' - ring a bell??  {-)

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 08:10:36 pm »

Don't talk about bells.
And yes. Did you get it off Andy?
full time penguin

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 08:14:14 pm »

I had better get this in, before someone else does.

My HMS Polyphemus semi-submersible went down in spectacular fashion at Wicksteed last year.  Turned out that a high pressure joint on the water ballasting system failed, so instead of pumping into the ballast tanks it pumped into the hull instead.  After drying out, a lot of repairs, and using barbed brass joints secured with wire, she is back sailing again.  Large heavy boats with almost no freeboard when trimmed down do tend to be vulnerable to even minor failures.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 08:24:43 pm »

Wasn't going to say a word bob! Just posy a link to the video

See you Sunday mate
full time penguin

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2016, 09:52:36 pm »

After a good few months of tinkering to get my old ww2 Darnell T class sub working,
I managed to get it all done running really well, all was going really good.

I brought it in for a check of the the watertight container as the watertight membrane had been renewed.
on top of the main perspex lid I had a screw cap for quick inspections and to access the switches. checked everything
all good watertight...perfect! I put it back in the water and took it out started the dive its going down nice and level..
then a voice behind says.... whats this cap from??
look at it and realise what I never did, look back at the sub as the casing goes below the water and then drops sharply out of sight,
followed by an air bubble popping up.

I managed wade out and get it back, took a while to dry everything out and new bits required  <:( <:( <:(

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2016, 12:05:25 am »

Sunk my TON12 on her maiden voyage - a windy evening with severe blustering, the hoisted nets acted like sails and when caught in a blast of wind, turned her over and sank her - it was near the edge of the lake so managed to get her back. I've since made the nets removable for sailing sessions, hang them back on for displays, she sails beautifully now. :-)

Regards,

Ray.

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2016, 12:12:50 am »

I can still remember a warship being hit by a fast powerboat on the Round Pond in Kensington Gardens.
It sank in a most realistic manner. (neither boat was mine, I only hit an A class yacht.  :embarrassed:
My Cervia sank on its first voyage after several years whilst showing it off to the family. The prop tube had dried out, (I have used grease ever since)
Fortunately I had a rough line of sight position so my son in law and I went swimming and he found it with his foot in about 5' of water.
Why do these moments always happen in front of an audience?

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2016, 12:23:12 am »

Another sinking (and subsequent recovery) was my Amaranth. Wasn't too windy that day, just a bit of a light breeze. I had her on the water with the mizzen sail rigged. Got distracted by a woman (nice), turned back to check the model just as she was going over to Stbd, whereupon she sank. Two more factors involved this time - I had the battery too high in the boat and not secured, there's also an oblong cut-out on the Stbd quarter, where the tiller rod exits to the arm of the rudder.
This model now sails only when conditions are calm. :-))

Regards,

Ray.

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2016, 04:25:33 am »

Haven't had a sinking yet...

But I have had

A U boat springer fill up with water, catch on fire, burn out two motors

My HMS Gnat on initial ballast trials I forgot to put the prop shafts back in! Dad had never seen me move so fast!

The lovely little French sub Marriott fill up completely with water but remained afloat.

HMS Velocity in very odd conditions on the lake turned very tight and it flipped onto its side and there it stayed at high speed shipping water and me trying to work out how to return it to the right way!!!
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2016, 05:17:48 am »

Seven sinks in one weekend, five on Saturday, and two on Sunday.
But that is also a testament to how quickly I can get the boat running again.
Earned the title of "Submarine Captain".

Oh, and the ferry boat May 2015, then the pond Drained February 2016.
Nine months under water, the boat is pretty much a write off, but,
the Mtroniks ESC still works.

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2016, 08:03:13 am »

Don't talk about bells.And yes. Did you get it off Andy?

I did. She runs well.

alan cantwell

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2016, 03:35:26 pm »

Nothing as grand as a acale model, but a 40 ic powered cabin cruiser, took it up to the local, very deep lake, with the lads from work wanting a go, ripping it around, it suddenly took off, bit of keel flying off quite clearly, touched down, and disappeared very quickly, it had hit a big log floating around,   That it? Said the guys?  Back to work then, its still there, i expect, sniff  {:-{ 

tica

• Full Mayhemer
    • Skalamodelskibe
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2016, 05:10:45 pm »

Last year we went to a get together at Egeskov  BTW a great place to visit if you are in that area http://www.egeskov.dk/en  And my Drumbeat of Devon was floating nicely on the pond, when I gave it a bit of speed it slowly went on its side with the stern low in the water and slowly sank. It was rescued later that day  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RF3DNapjY28&spfreload=10

ESC's, receiver and servo was a write-off. Motor's = Speed 900BB High Tough survived and the 12V/7A Gelcell did the same.

BTW we didn't locate the cause for this sinking but a qualified guess is that one prop caught some seaweed and jammed, this unbalance mixed with the way too heavy cabin construction did the rest.

I'm right now planning the rebuild with more ballast low and 2 3S LiPo cells to lower the point of balance.
My postings are only reflecting my own opinion and should not be read as the holy grail of truth :-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 23 queries.