Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: wiring of ESC to three motors on 12 volts supply  (Read 3107 times)

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
    • My build of HMS Illustrious 87 1939-1942
wiring of ESC to three motors on 12 volts supply
« on: September 01, 2016, 08:54:53 pm »

Hi I have been trying to work out which is the best way (cost wise) to wire up the three motors for my HMS Illustrious.
Question 1, is it best to wire each motor to its own ESC and power supply working through a P40 (action) mixer.  Or would one ESC work all three motors with two 12v 7amp  wired in parallel with out the mixer.
Question two.  The ESC I can get will give out 320(A) full forward and 160(A) in reverse could this unit take all three motors or not.

[/size]Operating system : forward, reverse, and brake[/size]Power range : 7.2V-16VInput voltage(advise) : 6-12 cells NiMH/NiCd or 2-4 cells LiPo.Weight: 60g (including connectors and switches)BEC: 5.6V 2AOutput current : forward 320AHeat sink: HaveThe interference :HaveSize: approx. 47 x 34 x 42mmNet Weight: 82g

Kipper

• Full Mayhemer
  • Bodgitts Dry Dock Co.
Re: wiring of ESC to three motors on 12 volts supply
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 09:24:26 pm »

That ESC looks to be one of the cheap Chinese ones, 320amps is not to be believed.  :o
Im gonna need a bigger shed.

chas

• Full Mayhemer
  • now in los montesinos Spain.
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 10:52:09 pm »

Hi, I totally agree with kipper about the Chinese ESC. I recommend you visit the action electronics web site. There you will find many schematics for mixers and escs. If you don't find one to help, just ask them, they are expert and helpful.
 Lastly, I will be surprised if you need 32 amps, let alone 320. My twin motor Emden about 50 inches long runs on about 3 amps, well over scale speed.
Chas

inertia

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2016, 08:50:37 am »

PM sent.
DM

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2016, 03:55:17 pm »

We keep getting this about Chinese 320A ESC's.  If anyone actually made a genuine 320A ESC it would be the size and weight of a large car battery with power leads over an inch in diameter.  Who runs a motor that requires over 300ADC?
Why do we keep getting these meaningless Chinese "ratings" when clearly they have no existence in actual reality.

Another dumb "rating" which annoys me is 1400 KV motors, which clearly cannot run to over a million volts DC.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
  • I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 04:21:04 pm »

Another dumb "rating" which annoys me is 1400 KV motors, which clearly cannot run to over a million volts DC.

Bob - I thought unit "kV" referred to the RPM of your brushless motor per volt with no load.

C-3PO
I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

steamboat66

• Full Mayhemer
  • maybe it will float!
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2016, 04:38:34 pm »

a good sized ESC should take all three motors. not sure if mixing is required, if not, then wiring is much simpler.

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2016, 05:12:38 pm »

:-))  Thanks guys, I have run three of these cheap ESC with the voltage from 4.8 to 7.2 in my MTB with JP480 motors and a P40 mixer.  I know they are not 320A but when checked they are just over 15 amp and that well with in the usage range.  I have my eye on a unit which is fan cooled and can take voltage from 12v to 24V with connections for two motors.

The cost of a P94 and P80 is just over £100.00 and that's a lot of money for one model before you include the servo, receiver, battery and connections to suit.   

The motor's I am using are from the motor trade. The drive motor from a PSE pump from an Mercedes-Benz SL. the pump drives the air all the air operated system on the car.  It has an RPM of 6600 and draws free running 0.5amp on full load.  It has a high torque and should be suitable to drive a 21 inch prop with a 50 mm propeller.  So was thinking of fitting three fan cooled ESC with two 12v 7 amp bty in parallel along with a P40 mixer to help with turning this 8 ft boat hull.   They are belt drive connections to the prop so no in line connection alignment to worry about.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2016, 07:04:27 pm »

21 inch Prop???
Free running and full load are not the same, surely.
Confused I am.

Ned

Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Big Ada

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2016, 07:37:57 pm »

Hi Paul, How long is this Ship you are building? does it need 3 Motors only My 19 foot long Bulk Carrier manages very well on one motor. Have a look on Mayhem FB page for Model Boat Association Dover post of Regatta at Herne Bay ( 2 Posts ).

Len.

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2016, 07:43:25 pm »

21 inch Prop???
Free running and full load are not the same, surely.
Confused I am.

Ned
When I tested the motor with out anything connected (free running) and with out any load the maximum draw was 0.5 amp.  Each motor will drive a 21 inch prop-shaft with a 50 mm propeller attached. Hope that clears any confusion.

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2016, 07:46:25 pm »

Hi Len,  Sorry I do not use face book.  The hull is 8 ft  1.96 scale and when completed she should be in weight about 21 kg.  She has been built as she was in 1939-42 see my build lock on here.  So she had three engines when built so I will do the same to replicate the original ship.   

Vts99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Clydebuilt = best built
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2016, 10:24:01 am »

Just so u know the fan unit esc on eBay that's supposed to run single or double 540s motors will catch fire as soon as you wire it in . It also states it's a UK seller but this is just a shipping address.  I bought one for my Azteka Mexican patrol boat which had twin 540s in it so thought great match and easy to wire . I plugged it all in switched it all on and it sat for around 3 seconds then motors began to turn at full speed without touching controls and esc burst into flames within my fibreglass hull . If I hadn't ripped it out as fast as I did I would of lost the model so really wouldn't risk these things . Only going for action electronics electronize or mtronics now as don't trust any others
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.