Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Artesania Latina Samson Tugboat  (Read 5926 times)

Phil Ciborowski

• Full Mayhemer
  • Live Long and Build Em All
Artesania Latina Samson Tugboat
« on: September 04, 2016, 11:09:59 pm »

This was one of those impulse buys after my GF looked a bit bored while I was messing around with my boats one day.

Picked it up (and being my first wood boat kit) was immediately slightly intimidated by the idea of bending planks to fit a curve.

The assembly went well enough - made things up on a homemade magnetic build plate and jigs.  I only had one minor issue with the build and it was what i feared.  The planks wouldn't bend how I wanted.  A few clamps and lots of wood glue later, things were all sealed up.

The inside may not be the neatest thing ever (I think I may have used almost the entire bottle of glue) but its water tight and there were no leaks.

I used some wood filler to smooth out the stem and keel areas, and sanded things down to a nice finish.

I painted it up with some rustoleum paints that were laying around. And yes... pink was not my choice, but it doesnt look half bad... best of all, the boss is happy

Once it was painted i sealed it with polycrylic and then I added some ballast to the boat with BBs poured into glue in between the frames.

Sea trials were successful - and this thing leaves a big wake!

Yes the box says weekend kit - but I think I worked on it longer.  And as an interm build  it wasnt bad either.  Best of all between the kit and cheapo ESC, i think I spent no more than 65 bucks on the whole thing.

I was able to mess around with it in the lake this weekend, and with the ballast in it, she sure leaves a nice big wake... the boss is pleased <*< :}
I am going to put some stickers and a flag on it to finish it off

http://philciborowski.weebly.com/

Stop by my site! It's always growing!

Carre55

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Artesania Latina Samson Tugboat
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 09:15:52 pm »

Just picked one of these kits up for £38 off amazon what esc did u go for can't find any recommended size details any where online
Cheers paul

Phil Ciborowski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 12:34:10 am »

Hi -
The ESC I was pointed to by someone else who built this kit, was the following:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320A-Brushed-Speed-Controller-ESC-R-C-AUTO-Car-Boat-Truck-With-Reverse-1-10-1-8-/292095365419?hash=item44023d912b:g:jKEAAOSwqfNXlyYC

it works pretty well - granted it might not have the fine range of low to high speeds some other higher end ESCs have... it does the job.   And like was mentioned, the build was to keep the boss happy... shes only used it 2 or 3 times but shes happy lol

Hope this helps!

tugmad

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 01:44:04 pm »

I have built one for my grandson,and I used an electronics speed controller.
But I found that using the kit prop the boat had no sternway at all,so at the moment I am rebuilding the stern end with a 4mm shaft and prop to get more control.

Carre55

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 02:54:11 pm »

It's amazing what you can do with this little kit I'm surprised there aren't more on the web my first wooden boat kit
I'm looking a perhaps fitting a kort nozzle http://www.modelboatbits.com/ROBBE-STEERABLE-KORT-NOZZLE-50mm but not had chance to measure anything yet

Phil Ciborowski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2017, 08:41:58 pm »

Weird - I never had that issue with the one i built. I am going to have to build one for myself... The more I look back at the build - I actually have an itch to build one of these up properly (and not pink lol)

Hande

• Full Mayhemer
  • Dream being fulfilled after 47 years.
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 04:29:02 pm »

Nice work! :-))

I like the relaxed, carefree, fun and eazy sentiment that these builds represent.
I also appreciate that it seems the average age among boat modelers may actually be less than 60  ok2

I am thinking of building a springer tug, in parallel to my years-long build of Ureka XIV (ex-Smit Finland, sister of Smit Nederland, based on the Billings kit). I am by no means counting rivets on her either, but I keep stopping at every detail and experiencing setbacks on a constant basis  {:-{ .
Even the bending of plywood is really eazy on a springer tug  %)

I may consider AL Samson, too, after running into this thread.

Trial-and-error doesn't spell failure - right?

Phil Ciborowski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2018, 11:39:31 pm »

Sorry for the delay in replying.  I forgot to subscribe to my own thread  <*<

In all honesty - it was a blast to build, and never have worked with wood in this capacity before it was an enjoyable learning curve. It has such a massive range of customization options, and you can make it fit any real life tug lineup.

I will be buying another one, and making it more realistic than this one (after all this was for the boss {-) ) this way we can have matching tugs.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2018, 11:46:19 pm »

Does your GF like her little tug boat? I do hope so. I have several friends whose significant others are supportive of their hobbys; from just being happy that their feller is not down the pub and is occupied doing something- right to getting stuck in, painting and even gaming occasionally (Most of my friends are wargamers and one fellow boat club member has a wife who sails.)

I would hate to be in a relationship where there is friction over an interest.
Pond weed is your enemy

Phil Ciborowski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2018, 06:52:02 pm »

She had her say during the build - especially with the colors %% And she is very happy of it.  Thankfully she boss is supportive of my hobby (addiction?) and often funds projects.  I am going to try and get her more involved with building  - we got a few Bandai  1/12 star wars kits, and we will be working on R2 together.  Its just another great way to spend time together.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.