Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Graupner Seabex One Schottle Question  (Read 4354 times)

ir3

• Full Mayhemer
Graupner Seabex One Schottle Question
« on: September 05, 2016, 07:50:41 pm »

Having decided to keep the Seabex One I started on the forward Schottle assembly and have a bit of a problem. Graupner had a shaft coupling that is 37mm long. As the picture will show, this length of coupling would make the installation of the Schottle and motor perfect. I have searched high and low for shaft couplings of this length or slightly smaller with no success. There is a possibility that M.A.C.K products has one but they are not at home at the moment and probably on vacation. The available coupling with the correct fittings are the universal red or black ones that have the replaceable shaft inserts. Unfortunately they are 45mm long and the motor must be placed on spacers to make up the difference. This is a weak point. With some effort I can shorten the couplings somewhat but probably not a good solution.

Anyone knowing of a source for shaft couplings that will work please let me know. I have not looked into the stern Schottles but I think the problem will be the same.

Thanks,

IR3

Vts99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Clydebuilt = best built
Re: Graupner Seabex One Schottle Question
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 08:45:03 pm »

Have u thought about putting silicone tubing in place of the red coupling and then drill a 1 mm hole through each brass insert and fit sacrificial brass pins through the hose and the fittings . This will solve two issues . One being the length u need and the other being that if the prop jams on anything then instead of damaging the motor it will split the pins and allow the tubing to slip

ir3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 08:54:10 pm »

Thanks for the suggestion. If I can't rundown a different set of couplings in the next day or two, that is exactly what I will do.

Cheers,

IR3

Kipper

• Full Mayhemer
  • Bodgitts Dry Dock Co.
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 11:11:35 pm »

You may want to check out these 'safety couplings' by Mobile Marine, they could be the answer. http://www.mobilemarinemodels.com/safety-coupling-72-c.asp

OOps  :embarrassed: sorry, just noticed your location, I presume you would prefer to get them a bit nearer home than the UK.
Im gonna need a bigger shed.

ir3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 12:13:16 am »

Thanks for the link. When you are doing a Robbe or Graupner project (and others) the only source of goodies is England or the EU.

Cheers,

IR3

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 07:15:53 am »

Frank, at MACK products was having a surgery done last week.

He intended to be open September 6th, Tuesday.

ok2

ir3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2016, 07:19:10 am »

Umi, thanks for the heads up. I thought the shop staff was probably out on vacation and not coming back till the 6th. I'll call him directly Tuesday morning.

Cheers,

Iran

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2016, 07:50:38 am »

try this guy,    http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,54367.0.html

He will tailor make one to your size and specification, so led to believe.

Jim.
life is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic!

ir3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2016, 09:26:31 pm »

I finished the linkage to the Schottles. Not having the original hardware I had to use what ever was in the parts box and would fit. I managed to find some of the original couplings or copies that are the correct size so I will be using them. They are in the post as I write. Since this is basically a very slow swimming pool or small pond boat and having the props protected in their shields, I didn't see a need for the break away couplings. I can surely see the merit when using motors of fairly large power and sizeable props.

Using the wire couplers that are shown in the pictures and trying to keep the runs with as little bending as possible I cut slots in the bottom to clear the hardware and allow me access to the wire securing screws.

If anyone is interested I can turn this into a complete build thread. Let me know.

Cheers,

IR3

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2016, 11:46:59 pm »

Hi
I would be interested in following this build . I too have Seabex one to finish one day . Started it then but it back in the box due to the poor quality of the kit.
There is a guy on here from  Canada  gos by the name Oldiron made Seabex one . he changed the hatches so there was  better access.
A good place to look for Graupner parts is Ebay.De     Germany
john   

ir3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2016, 05:16:33 pm »

Hi John,

Thanks for the interest in the build. I moved it to RCGroups as there are more local modelers in Southern California that are tuned into the build threads here. I have tried most of the vendors on ebay.de but the majority do not ship to the US and not one single vendor would tell me why. I have drawn some conclusions, probably wrong, but will not attempt to purchase anything from vendors on ebay.de anymore. There are solutions to all problems building the Seabex One and I am pressing on.

As far as you finding poor quality in the kit, unfortunately I purchased my kit from one of the auction sites and found no strip wood. Luckily all the strip wood for this kit is very close to wood in the LHS so very little milling is required.  Everything else was there and with very careful handling of all the ABS parts it seems to be going together quite nicely. I think I am missing some parts from the fittings kit but there are a lot of sources for model ship fittings these days.

Good luck on your build.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2016, 02:39:45 pm »

I have tried most of the vendors on ebay.de but the majority do not ship to the US and not one single vendor would tell me why. I have drawn some conclusions, probably wrong, but will not attempt to purchase anything from vendors on ebay.de anymore.

Regrading the postage from Germany. As I understand it, this is to do with the postal system in Germany more than the vendors. Parcels have to be sent with a verifiable tracker number both internally and external of Germany, this is difficult sometimes impossible to guarantee in some countries. So its easiest not to try, I know because I order from Germany to Spain quite often, now I tend to use just 2 vendors rather than shopping around.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2016, 02:58:25 pm »

Iran/Brian........

With my small value [$20.00 to $200.00] & limited purchases from Germany, it appears that manufacturers/suppliers who do care can send parcels via a traceable air parcel postage system to Australia at very reasonable freight costs, whilst others simply use DHL which I understand is owned by the German Government........... with latter being near 10 x fold in air parcel postage costs

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.