Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Right motor for Deans Marine SS City of Ely  (Read 2003 times)

XO

• Shipmate
  • The ocean is an object of no small terror!
Right motor for Deans Marine SS City of Ely
« on: September 08, 2016, 06:52:17 pm »

Hello to you all! I have recently bought a Deans Marine SS City of Ely and I am not sure what kind of a motor to use. Ships sailing weight is about 16 kilos and its length is 1.4m. I am also interest to make a working anchor winch too.. any ideas for that too?
Thank you already. :}

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Troubled to find a right motor
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2016, 09:17:46 am »

From the model dockyard site -

Recommended motors: One Deans Kestrel on 2:1 beltbrive reduction
Recommended battery: One 6v 2ah Nicad pack

This is probably a copy of the information from Deans which sadly lacks information like the size of the motor.  I suspect it might be a 385, so a 385 and a gear reduction.  For direct drive, a window winder motor from a scrap car would do a good job on a 6 volt battery.  Not brushless, but then, brushless tend to aimed at the speed and performance part of the market, which a Liberty Ship is not.
For an anchor winch, the simplest solution now is probably one of the 6 turn winches that have a body the size of a servo and an enclosed drum.  Engineering a "proper" system with the winch, clutches, gearbox, chain and chain locker is an entire subject of its own.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

XO

• Shipmate
  • The ocean is an object of no small terror!
Re: Right motor for Deans Marine SS City of Ely
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2016, 12:28:04 pm »

Many thanks of the answer! I'll guess that the right solution is in properly strong 6 V motor. For the anchor i was thinking a smaller motor with a gear and a enough large drum for the chain, but will see when i get to work. Just now theain motor is my consern {:-{

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2016, 01:26:43 pm »

hi there
I have just had a quick look on Deans site and I see the Kestrel motor is still available for approx. £13.  A long lost friend Dicky D used to swear by these motors and he used Deans motors quite a lot.   He used to use the Kestrel a lot too.

The Kestrel looks like a standard 500 motor of a medium amp drain which would be quite easy to substitute with a motor from MFA or better still Component Shop.   The only downfall is that the belt drive gear box which is suggested is no longer available.  There is one similar on the MFA site but it costs an arm and a leg pricewise.  Better still, if you search the website you will come across a section that allows you to pick out and select various belt drive pulleys and matching belts to make your own belt drive gear box up.   This is a lot cheaper.   

Another alternative would be direct drive.   Component Shop do do a motor which would be suitable for this model (Model length 50" long)  I believe its a 555 Low drain motor running on 12 volts.

Have a search on Component Shop's website - or see if you can get hold of a guy who doesn't speak much on this Forum now - he used to own ACTion and he no doubt will confirm and tell you what motor to use.   He has a couple of loose tea leaves that resemble brain cells and may still hold some knowledge on this subject :-)
http://www.componentshop.co.uk/mabuchi-555-dc-motor-mounting-bracket.html

John
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2016, 02:26:45 pm »

John,
Is FLJ your long lost brother  :} :}

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.