Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Digifleet  (Read 3326 times)

Andy cheeseman

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Digifleet
« on: September 09, 2016, 08:13:16 pm »

What crystals can I use with a digifleet 40mhz set please

Sub driver

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Digifleet
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2016, 09:32:02 pm »

Hi.
As far as i know...you can only use Digifleet crystals..they are very rare these days the radio gear never took off and was stopped production by the company a long long time ago. I  don't think anything digifleet is interchangeable....probably responsible for their early downfall.

You would be better off with a good second hand Futaba radio or go 2.4 ghz if its for surface craft.

Sorry to be so negative ...but...i stand to be corrected re the x tals.
Regards Sub.

chas

• Full Mayhemer
  • now in los montesinos Spain.
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2016, 10:17:59 pm »

Fleet radio, far from not taking off, was the gear of choice for many modelers. The range spaned  many years, I would guess around 20 plus. Very good build quality and reliability for the time, I still have a 40 Meg set, over 20 years old that has never had a fault and is as good today as when it was built.
  I have Fleet, and Futuba crystals, both are fine. As far as I know, any single conversion crystals are OK.
 I hope that helps,
Chas

chas

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2016, 10:40:42 pm »

I've just had a look and I also have a pair of Hi tec crystals, so those are OK too.
 I'm assuming we are talking about the Digifleet xp fm radio, I seem to remember  that they did a pcm outfit, and I can't comment on crystals for them.
Chas

Sub driver

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2016, 10:47:08 pm »

Hi
Glad you have the info you are after...said i stand to be corrected.
Regards Sub.

chas

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2016, 10:52:26 pm »

Hi sub, I can't remember that date but that may be  right. I think they were the last British manufacturer of RC gear. Cheaper manufacturing in the east probably killed them off, they built to a standard rather than a low price.
Chas

HMS Invisible

• MICROGYROS.COM
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Yes, it works!
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2016, 11:08:21 pm »

Legal issues apart, Futaba crystals seemed to work perfectly ok in Fleet sets. Hitec crystals will not work properly with Futaba radios so don't use Hitec crystals in Fleet.
I have scores of Fleet connector kits but you could use  Corona 40 MHz synthesised receivers with the transmitter.

You will get compatibility problems using Fleet servos with Futaba or any receiver with low amplitude TTL level pulses.
< All manner of contact methods over to the left.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2016, 05:47:47 pm »

Hi all, I have a Fleet set, as has been said very nice. 
Do not overlook the fact that the servo connector plugs / sockets have the plus and minus wires swapped over compared with Futaba etc.
regards Roy

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2016, 07:13:50 pm »

Nice old sets, with nothing too exotic inside. A common problem are the nicads leaking behind the main board, corroding and bridging circuits. Best thing is to replace them with either 3S LiFE or low self-discharge NiMH.

lakesidebob

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2016, 09:33:08 pm »

Had and still have my 35 meg Fleet Tx's and RX's from when I flew slope soaring gliders.Always quality,reliable equipment,felt solid in your hands,easy to operate,had tremendous range but also a very long aerial ready to poke someone's eye out...or stab it into the ground when you tripped up..no such probs with 2.4...Lakeside Bob.

spearfish99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2016, 11:57:44 pm »

Still have two unused Digifleet 40mhz sets, along with a couple of ESc's, one Fleet and one Astec.  Unfortunately, they both have "black wire syndrome" and need a new set of batteries each and a couple of wires replacing. Nice pieces of kit though.

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2016, 08:35:32 am »

Still have and using three Fleet Tx plus Rx, servos and chargers. Only attention needed has been new batteries when the originals became too old; I never had a problem with leakage or black wire syndrome. Bomb-proof gear.

It was produced very successfully by a  two-man band and when they retired the business was sold on. Unfortunately the new owner had neither the means (or the interest?) to fund EC type approval when this became mandatory. Thus, end of the (production) line.

Barry M

spearfish99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2016, 09:48:35 am »

Still have and using three Fleet Tx plus Rx, servos and chargers. Only attention needed has been new batteries when the originals became too old; I never had a problem with leakage or black wire syndrome. Bomb-proof gear.

Barry, I think mine only suffered from not being used.  With my other radios over the years ( Horizon 27mhz then Futaba 40mhz and 2.4ghz)  I haven't had similar problems as they were being used . Battery leakage wasn't an issue with my digifleets, only the black battery wires becoming brittle.

abreese

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2016, 11:05:19 am »

:-)) I run an old darnell U-boat on digi with futaba crystals works ok.
good sound gear in its day.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.