Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Torpedo Boat Destroyer  (Read 2604 times)

GG

• Full Mayhemer
Torpedo Boat Destroyer
« on: September 12, 2016, 01:48:01 pm »

This model was built to provide some relief during some domestic renovation that seemed to go on and on.....
The idea to add to a series of British destroyer models, all built to a common scale of 1/144, appealed.  Finally a TBD from the early 20th Century period looked like a suitable challenge.  The aim being to outfit it with the easily obtainable small RC gear, rather than the micro stuff used in miniature RC aircraft and helicopters.
It looked "doable" on paper but a small test hull, some 18 inches (46 cm) long. was built for buoyancy and stability tests.  With a scale beam, this test hull floated and with judicious ballasting it was stable but had a somewhat unconvincing feel to it.
The final models beam and draught were increased slightly to produce an operating weight of about 12 ounces (350 g).  Construction is in balsa with a single RE360 powered by 4 AAA rechargeable cells. This produces a top speed just under 3 ft/sec which produces a wave pattern equivalent to the full size at 20 knots.
Its handling is smooth at all speeds and it even steers when moving astern.  I'll confess to not sailing when waves start breaking over the model, but stability has never been in doubt.
The white hull (tropical colours) was chosen to make this small model more visible.  Not for my benefit but to help other modellers who seem to have difficulty in seeing where their creations are heading.
Plans just sent off to the Editor of Model Boats and now I am free to try and learn how to fly the damn RC helicopter I've just bought!
Glynn Guest

Dreadnought

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Torpedo Boat Destroyer
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2016, 07:48:08 am »

Very nice! :-)

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2016, 08:55:38 pm »

And in a med paint scheme as well:O) Lovely job Mr G, I look forward to reading the article in due course.
Pond weed is your enemy

steve pickstock

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2016, 07:23:44 am »

Sweet! I will look out for that.

joppyuk1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 10:18:41 am »

Delightful. Not too big for those of us with restricted space either.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 23 queries.