Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Berwick Shipyard -interesting read if you have time  (Read 976 times)

RST

Berwick Shipyard -interesting read if you have time
« on: May 22, 2020, 10:05:09 pm »

Hi,

One of my favourite movies was on last week:  "When Eight Bells Toll"

Couldn't watch at the time so I recorded it and watched it a couple of days ago.  Now, I know more than half the script of it by heart, but this time I was intrigued and learned from a few internet searches to put curiosity to bed...

• I learned the meaning of "8 bells"
  • I learned who Nathalie Deon was, she was stunnng!
  • I found "Firecrest" -the yacht which has intrigued me since I first saw the movie -"Tavit" in real life
...So as far as "superyachts" go I personally think the likes of what Berwick put out back in the day were really quite beautiful, not the modern monstrosities punted today.  Also glad to see a lot of their "superyachts" of the time" are still going.  I spent a lot of time on the website reading it all and the history of the other boats also.  A very interesting read for me anyway so I share the link here if you are interested...

http://www.berwickshipyard.com/

Hope you enjoy looking through the above weblink.  I thought it was very interesting, and a bit surprising for the location I never heard it much before as being a shipbuilding town!

Rich

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Berwick Shipyard -interesting read if you have time
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2020, 05:47:50 pm »

Brilliant stuff, Rich. We often walk round the walls of Berwick. I knew there had been shipbuilding there, but had no idea of the details. The area has been prettified in recent years; when we are allowed back again I'll have a closer look.
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.

RST

Re: Berwick Shipyard -interesting read if you have time
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2020, 12:49:49 am »

Brilliant stuff, Rich. We often walk round the walls of Berwick. I knew there had been shipbuilding there, but had no idea of the details. The area has been prettified in recent years; when we are allowed back again I'll have a closer look.
Hi, ya it's "down the road" for me but I know some parts of the town gereraly well enough to recognise the location off the old pics.  You can see from the old pics where it used to be (it was a very small yard!).  I was just a bit surprised how so many of what were considered "luxury" yachts of the time came from there.  If my lottery numbers ever come up I'll be looking for a Berwick yacht -they are almost all still out there aparently.  I'll not get my hopes up LoL
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 22 queries.