Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New to model boating  (Read 1894 times)

johnvb

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
New to model boating
« on: September 13, 2016, 12:01:45 am »

Hi all.

I'm a long time aeromodeller so experienced with brushed, brushless, nitro (glow), and diesel motive power, and turning balsa into shavings building kits, from plans, and own designs.   I am mostly interested in old-timer models - toy and competition models from the 30's-50's if you haven't come across them.

I've just started into model boating.  My interests so far are wooden powered RC boats.  I have just started on a Dumas Half Pint kit that has been sitting on the shelf for a few years.  I can see myself building a kit or two, then doing some building from plans, and then some scratch building from photos and full size 3 views.

My other long time interests are motorcycles and guitar

cheers,
John VB

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
Re: New to model boating
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2016, 08:58:14 pm »

Welcome to Mayhem John.

As you will see we have an enviable range of topics and tutorials along with much humour and daftness to lighten the tone. Sometimes we go off topic but 'Da Modz' bring us back in line (sometimes:O)

I look forward to seeing some boat modelling from you in due course.
Pond weed is your enemy

captain bligh

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats oh'd av um
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2016, 09:10:50 pm »

Welcome John
Good helpful bunch aboard here :-)) best of both worlds in my family I'm mad on model boats and my father likes his old British bikes I'm afraid to go near his  O0.
It's not a bad man who makes a mistake its a good man who can get over it.

jjolly3

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2020, 11:55:16 am »

Hello John,

I was wondering if you went forward with your build of the Dumas Half Pint.  I picked up two and am in the process of cutting and sanding in preparation for starting to work on the framing of the hulls.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2020, 02:15:42 pm »

Welcome John

I'm also interested in the older timber boats, namely Faireys, and motorcycles. Wish I could play the guitar!

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2020, 03:52:11 pm »

Hi all.

I'm a long time aeromodeller so experienced with brushed, brushless, nitro (glow), and diesel motive power, and turning balsa into shavings building kits, from plans, and own designs.   I am mostly interested in old-timer models - toy and competition models from the 30's-50's if you haven't come across them.

I've just started into model boating.  My interests so far are wooden powered RC boats.  I have just started on a Dumas Half Pint kit that has been sitting on the shelf for a few years.  I can see myself building a kit or two, then doing some building from plans, and then some scratch building from photos and full size 3 views.

My other long time interests are motorcycles and guitar

cheers,
John VB
Nice one. Im into flying RC helis and building ship models although it is hard juggling both disciplines!

Dave_S.

• Full Mayhemer
  • Member of Oxford Model Boat Club
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2020, 06:06:07 pm »

Hi John  - not another one! I've been making models, mostly the sort that fly (or should do) for over 50 years, also spent 40 years on two wheels and I'm a bass player, still gigging regularly until the virus put us all on hold. Today was my first day at the club's water for months, good to spend an hour or two mucking about with boats again.
Ruining perfectly good kits since 1969.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 22 queries.