Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Running gear set up.  (Read 2406 times)

Tid 65

Running gear set up.
« on: September 15, 2016, 09:38:47 am »

need some advice. I've got a tug with twin motors and single centre rudder and a mixer but wondered what I need regarding Esc?  Do I need two Esc or one and can I run it on one battery.

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Running gear set up.
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 03:10:29 pm »

If you want to use the mixer, you will require two independent speed controllers to run the two motors independently. I had the Caldercraft Resolve, which uses this arrangement. I set up a couple of variations of control while I owned it.
Firstly, I had the two motors, mixed on the LH stick of a four channel system, with the rudder, independent on the RH sticks side to side action. This was the most maneuverable option, but I did need to pay attention when driving the model, avoiding getting all fingers and thumbs! Usually I would operate the LH throttle up and down ( both motors operating together ), with the rudder control for steering in big areas. The turning circle was that of a pig! In close and on small waters, I would use the Left/Right function on the LH stick to mix the motors, using the rudder to aid the models tugs.
My other set up did away with the mixer and used both Up/Down functions on the set to operate the two motors, tank fashion, with rudder control on the RH stick as normal. I did find that it was easier to cruise about on one motor, adjusting the rudder to compensate, rather than keep constantly using both sticks and therefore both motors at all times. Good for making big bow waves though!!
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

Buccaneer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 08:20:23 pm »

My personal thought, probably due to the way I drive my boats, would be two ESC's and independent drive and control for both motors. With a single central rudder you will not be getting a lot of prop wash over the rudder and manoeuvrability (thank goodness for spelling checkers!) will not be great with rudder alone.

John

Buccaneer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 08:27:08 pm »

Sorry, forgot to answer all the questions. All my (4) twin motor tugs have been run off one battery, as long as you have nothing enormous. I run into an Action P92 or P107 Power Control Board. All the power goes in one side, through a P103 parallel power board if required, and the motors come out the other. Ideal for my simple brain.

John

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2016, 07:08:43 pm »

I worked on an old steam boat with this arrangement, the rudder was of no use until she was moving 3.5 to 4 knots through the water. So all berthing and turning tight round bends were done using the engines.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 21 queries.