Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: First time sub build  (Read 3141 times)

django

• Full Mayhemer
  • I want to live forever, so far so good
First time sub build
« on: September 17, 2016, 05:13:36 pm »

After many years of model boat building (older tugs & coasters ) ,I am considering building a sub as my winter project . I have looked into it a bit & have decided a dynamic diver the less complicated for a first build . I think a kit is where I should start . The Krick  seems to be a kit that offers a lot of detail, which is a must for me, & a reasonable price . Would appreciate any comments or advice from more experienced sub builders .    Thanks  John

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
Re: First time sub build
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 05:29:25 pm »

You would be much better off getting a Revell Type VII and a conversion kit. Or if that is too small look at the Ark Model Type VII. Price does go a up a fair bit once you start going larger.

salmon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2016, 10:10:31 pm »

Going small may not be cheaper by much compared to the frustration of packing 10 kilos of stuff in a 5 kilo space. If I may, I would offer the 1/72 Skipjack by Revell or Moebius or the 1/35 scale Type 23 from Bronco. Both of those offer plenty of space and large enough that installing parts will not drive you crazy.
If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

rnli12

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 07:14:55 am »

Hi,
If you are interetsed I have a part built Robbe U47 on the sales section, Ive got too many other boats to finish.
Regards,
Rich
Regards,

Rich

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2016, 04:15:33 pm »

The Krick U boat (if it's the plastic version) will drive you to drink...I ended up filing mine under B1N.

As Andy says, either a Revell U boat with a decent conversion kit, or Tom's suggestions (Revell Skipjack or Bronco Type XX111) would be much easier to build and convert. Trumpeter's Seawolf is another easy one to work with, the little Kilo stretches the brain cells, but is an easy job once you've got past the ruddere plane linkages stage.

R&R Model Engineering make a superb conversion for the Skipjack...go to www.rcsubs.co.uk and scroll down to the relevant page.
Rich

K-157 Vepr. Akula-II (project 971U)
---------------------------------------------------------------

~~~~~~~  "Motorflotes need love too...."  ~~~~~~~

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

tsenecal

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2016, 04:59:21 pm »

I have seen too many people with issues due to size to recommend the type VII as a first submarine. anyone with hands larger than a small child will have problems stuffing things into the wtc, and it won't float at the waterline without a lot of fiddling.

on the other hand, there are a ton of build threads on, and upgrade kits available for the Skipjack.  It is only 6" longer than the type VII, but has about 4x the volume.  It is also a modern nuke sub with much less freeboard, so it doesn't need a large-ish ballast tank.

for anyone living in the UK, i agree with U-33.  get the skipjack, and the R&R WTC, and you will be in the water very quickly.

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2016, 05:51:45 pm »

I should have added that if you can't get hold of Ron (R&R) give me a shout and I'll give him a call him for you...he's up to his ears in moving into a new workshop at the moment.
Rich

K-157 Vepr. Akula-II (project 971U)
---------------------------------------------------------------

~~~~~~~  "Motorflotes need love too...."  ~~~~~~~

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2016, 07:44:44 pm »

a kit that offers a lot of detail, which is a must for me, & a reasonable price.

Don't think a  Skipjack or even a Type XXIII is going to hit the spot for someone wanting plenty of adornment on their model. A Revell is a bit wee, however i would say that if you go for Norbert Bruggens conversion kit, access is a bit easier, and certainly no worse than a Krick. Cost will be much lower, and you'll have a more accurate model too.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 22 queries.