Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Action Electronics new P110 Noisy thing II  (Read 15989 times)

AndrewB

• Shipmate
Action Electronics new P110 Noisy thing II
« on: September 19, 2016, 01:59:36 am »

Hello
Has anyone had the pleasure of hearing one of these yet? Im just wondering of the sound quality of it.

Cheers
Andrew

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
Re: Action Electronics new P110 Noisy thing II
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 07:31:58 am »

Heard 1 at Haydock last month, very good, uses interchangeable sound cards so you can swap it
Into different boats by changing the card . It also has its own built in amplifier so it is easier to
Wire and takes up less room in the boat.

John

Tug Captain

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 07:42:37 pm »

Am about to order a sound module for my Portgarth tug.

Have three alternatives as far as I can judge:

Action new P110: Positive: not too expensive. Negative: can't find a sound test anywhere - strange that the manufacturer does not provide a sound sample

marbour masters: Positive: Very realistic sounds (Diesel, foghorn and ships bell). negative: Rather costly when shipping and import duties are added.

Biele ( or similar: Postive: veryrealstic sounds. negative: Expensive and rather complicated - it seems. Takes five video tutials to get the thing going.

Anyone does have a hands on experience of the Action module???  The Harbour models???

Regards
Claes

timgarrod

• Full Mayhemer
    • Alvaston Pirates Model Boat Club
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 01:14:10 pm »

I haven't used the other two but have got this one http://www.beier-electronic.de/modellbau/produkte/usm-rc-2/usm-rc-2.php?sprache=gb
so can only advise on this one but looking forward to see the new noisy thing in action.

It's easy to use if just uploading the defaults sounds templates. but if want it to program it to is full then its a bit tricky.

I got mine programed on my bermpohl to play a sound effect and activate relays/lights at the same time, bit like on this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffsQ-FvNFDY

Will post a video once the boats rebuilt.

cheers

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2016, 04:01:17 pm »

Hi there I cannot, at this moment, tell you what the new noisy thing is like cos I haven't got me hands on one yet - not long now.   But, I know that it will be built to the same standards and quality as the original one.   In my humble opinion that is pretty good - because - it was so simple to set up and so simple to play around with.

As far as sound quality on the new one - I should imagine the sound quality will be just as good, if not better, than the old one.  That is because of several factors which is up to yourself.  In other words, the quality of speaker you purchase and the position in the vessel you position it - where you download your file cards from and also the quality of those file cards - they will play the overall part and the quality of this item.   If you get poor quality of either of these, you cannot expect the machine to make a silk purse from a sows ear so to speak. {-)

John
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

inertia

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2016, 04:23:39 pm »

The P110 rather neatly sidesteps the limitations of "standard" sounds in that you can take any sound recording you like, copy it onto the SD card with the appropriate file name (in bog-standard audio .WAV format) and then play it back - as easy as that. The Class D amplifier is better than the chip fitted to the old P101 amp but, as John says, the quality of the sound is greatly dependent on the quality of the speaker used and the way it is fitted into the model.
This is one of the reasons why there are no sound samples on the Internet i.e. your laptop earphones or desktop speakers will likely give an unfavourable impression of what the actual effect sounds like when played through a decent amp and speaker.
I'm grateful to Bluebird for his kind comments on the build quality of the P100 because I personally assembled every single one of them  O0 !
P110 is a much more complex beast (imagine two x P100 plus one x P101 on a board the same size as P100) and uses Surface Mount Technology i.e. it's made by a machine.
Dave M

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2016, 04:40:00 pm »

RoboDave?! :o
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

TomHugill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2016, 05:29:51 pm »

Tbh I've been put off getting one because of the lack of demo material. Every other sound card manufacturer puts something up so it seems a shame action don't.

inertia

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2016, 06:31:21 pm »

Tbh I've been put off getting one because of the lack of demo material. Every other sound card manufacturer puts something up so it seems a shame action don't.

I think you need to read what I wrote again, Tom. This device isn't restricted to using 'demo' sounds - you can easily put ANY sound you might have in WAV format onto it. On the other hand if you want to pay more for something else just because you can get a faint hint of what it might sound like over your mobile phone earpiece or little tablet speaker then be my guest. No purchase is compulsory and the lack of samples on the website didn't seem to harm the sales of the old one.
BTW I don't believe that 'every other sound card manufacturer' does put samples out on the web.....but suit yourself.

DM

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
  • I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2016, 06:48:38 pm »

you can easily put ANY sound you might have in WAV format onto it.
DM

Can it play 48 kHz 16-bit two-channel WAV audio ?

I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2016, 06:52:56 pm »

Must have ears like Spocks dog to hear 48killers %%

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

TomHugill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2016, 07:18:50 pm »

I think you need to read what I wrote again, Tom. This device isn't restricted to using 'demo' sounds - you can easily put ANY sound you might have in WAV format onto it. On the other hand if you want to pay more for something else just because you can get a faint hint of what it might sound like over your mobile phone earpiece or little tablet speaker then be my guest. No purchase is compulsory and the lack of samples on the website didn't seem to harm the sales of the old one.
BTW I don't believe that 'every other sound card manufacturer' does put samples out on the web.....but suit yourself.

DM

Demo as in a demonstration of its sounds. Not canned sounds

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tidy Bench -Tidy Mind, Messy Bench - BUSY!!
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2016, 07:21:24 pm »

Been there, seen it, fitted it, got the T shirt, happy client!  {-) {-) {-)

Works just like it says on the tin!!

Great for twin engines on twin sticks as there are two sound systems in the box so start up engine one and let it tick over, then start engine two and away you go.

As easy as wiring a plug and play esc.  :-))

Mike
True Lifeboat Nutter!!

TomHugill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2016, 07:25:28 pm »

DM

I can go onto YouTube and get samples of a benedini, bier, ibu boat, etc etc with no difficulty. Sure you lose the some of the bass and don't get the full effect but you can hear how it handles the sound samples, what the transitions between throttle steps are like and get a feel for weather I like it or not. With nothing...well you don't get that. I'll be honest I like my benedinis, the TBS mini is  90 euros and it does way more than just (arguably) the best sound modelling out there. But I was just pointing out for me the lack of a good demo is a real turn off to buying.

inertia

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2016, 11:12:52 pm »

Thanks, Mike.

The Old Fart

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2016, 08:27:01 am »

Been there, seen it, fitted it, got the T shirt, happy client!  {-) {-) {-)

Works just like it says on the tin!!

Great for twin engines on twin sticks as there are two sound systems in the box so start up engine one and let it tick over, then start engine two and away you go.

As easy as wiring a plug and play esc.  :-))

Mike

I have one of these units.
Using the twin engine mode, when another sound is played then one of the engines cuts out.
Even on one engine, play a sound and the engine cuts out. depending if sound 1-8 or 9-16 is selected.

TOF

Iain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2016, 01:10:49 pm »

Concerned to see that there is an issue with your P110, but what I don't understand is why you didn't contact us - we will always help whenever there is a problem.
Please bear in mind that this is a very sophisticated unit & has only recently been launched. Whilst it has been extensively tested in multiple configurations, it is not impossible that some possible configuration or combination of equipment has been missed from our testing & is giving rise to this issue.
Anyway, this is something I will be looking into as a priority & trying to replicate the problem with the intention of producing a fix.
As always, if there is some issue with something we have supplied, just contact us so that we can do our best to put it right. Similarly if there is something that you feel is missing from any unit, its accompanying documentation, or the web site, please tell us so that we can do something about it, as not being psychic I can't rectify a problem I know nothing about.
Iain Lewis.
Component-Shop / Action Electronics

The Old Fart

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2016, 04:44:32 pm »

Concerned to see that there is an issue with your P110, but what I don't understand is why you didn't contact us - we will always help whenever there is a problem.
Please bear in mind that this is a very sophisticated unit & has only recently been launched. Whilst it has been extensively tested in multiple configurations, it is not impossible that some possible configuration or combination of equipment has been missed from our testing & is giving rise to this issue.
Anyway, this is something I will be looking into as a priority & trying to replicate the problem with the intention of producing a fix.
As always, if there is some issue with something we have supplied, just contact us so that we can do our best to put it right. Similarly if there is something that you feel is missing from any unit, its accompanying documentation, or the web site, please tell us so that we can do something about it, as not being psychic I can't rectify a problem I know nothing about.
Iain Lewis.
Component-Shop / Action Electronics

Hi Iain,
Sent message to Component-Shop.
TOF

Mike Fry

• Shipmate
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2016, 06:35:49 pm »

Hello
I too purchased a Noisy Thing 2, after hearing one working. I got one with a V8 petrol sound on it, it took me four hours at least to set up the " plug & play"It sounded ok and no more than that, it would speed up with no delay and ticked over nice. After one min it should go into a shut down mode, it didnt. Just a buzzing noise. I rang Component Shop, they said it was faulty and would Email a sound file. All i needed to do was put it on the SD card, errrr ok then and hoping it is that easy. One more phone call the day after and the Email turned up, i put them on the SD card. Now nothing works i did notice the origonal sounds on the SD card were Detriot Diesels anyway. So now some what fed up, i Emailed Component Shop
asking for some help and none came. I have bought loads of stuff and its always been very good, till now.

Dave Cook

• Cookie
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Keep on Rockin
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2016, 06:47:29 pm »

Hi All , A mate of mine as bought a P110 and it,s great , no issues at all.

ok2

Mike Fry

• Shipmate
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2016, 07:01:16 pm »

Hello
Maybe i was just unlucky but i spoke to club member last Sunday. He has the first version and the new one and also having problems too with p110.

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
  • The view from the shallow end of the gene pool
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2016, 08:34:52 pm »

Just a couple of comments from the developer....

1/. If you need sounds, use the .wav files on the P100 disk - these will work perfectly well on the P110

2/. The P110 has two sound channels: 1 & 2. If you want switched sounds AND a single engine sound - put one on channel 1 and one on channel 2. That way the switched sounds won't override the engine sounds.

3/. The preferred format for sounds is 16bit wave at 22KSPS max  if you want to play two sounds or 44KSPS for one. The system supports stereo which are combined for mono on the on-board amplifier.

4/. I have had the problems with playback reported to me and have units showing the fault. I am investigating the root cause of problem and will implement fixes to them. Please be patient - these problems did not manifest during several months of testing.

Wom
The prat in the hat - www.floatingwombat.me.uk - Have look & say Hi

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2016, 10:33:47 am »

Well hello there my old friend Wom, where you been hiding for the last few months.    One question for you my mate, do the new ones have the soundtrack "exterminate" on like my first one has ?     %%
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

inertia

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2016, 11:03:53 am »

Bloobs
There is a file on the original P100 disc, under Misc Sounds, called "Exterminated.wav". This is your friendly neighbourhood Dalek... You can simply Drag and Drop it onto the P110 SD card using Windows Explorer. That goes for all of the sounds on that disc and any other .wav files you have.
There are some "surprising and amusing" sounds in the Human Noises folder, too!
DM

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
  • The view from the shallow end of the gene pool
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2016, 07:41:12 pm »

Hi Bluebird - well getting back to things after a few dodgy years. Yup the daleks still work OK on the P110 - and you can have two of them.

TOF - yes if you are running two engines one will cut out when you play a sound. However this should be less an issue than  with a single engine sound.

With those who are having issues - please be patient, we are working on this at full speed.

Tim

The prat in the hat - www.floatingwombat.me.uk - Have look & say Hi
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 22 queries.