Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hurricanes and storms  (Read 3507 times)

Stavros

Hurricanes and storms
« on: August 21, 2007, 02:00:08 pm »

Right then why is it that Hurricanes and Storms allways materialize during the hours of darkness?

Stavros

omra85

Re: Hurricanes and storms
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 02:07:53 pm »

And if you get three together on a satellite picture they look like the number 666
 ::) ;D

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 03:08:39 pm »

Weird  :(
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 03:45:51 pm »

Temperature differentials?
Don't Assume Check

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 04:12:23 pm »

All sh-t hits the fan during the hours of darkeness - part of Murphy's Law  ??? ???

MikeK  O0

Roger in France

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 06:20:55 pm »

I am not suggesting that anyone is making light of hurricanes, but......please be a little sensitive. I fly to the Caribbean next week to greet my new grandson! My wife is panicing and I am working on the stiff upper lip!

The flight from Paris to Martinique should be OK but then I have to transfer to the tiny island of Dominica ( NOT the Dom. Republic) and at the present time there are no flights or ferries. I look like having to charter a small aircraft!

Roger in France.

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 06:24:23 pm »

by the time you come to fly out, Dean will have blown itself out.  I dont think you will have much in the way of problems
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

Roger in France

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 07:57:55 am »

Yes, Dean has passed on leaving two dead, much damage and a lot of mud on Dominica.

The only inter-island flight available by scheduled airlines was Martinique to St. Lucia, then St. Lucia to Antigua and then Antigua to Dominica, a total of 8 hours! Flying over Dominica twice! However, I have found a 4 seat charter which will fly us direct in 30 minutes.

Incidentally, in Dominica they still make small fishing boats by hollowing out a log and extending the sides upwards with planks. I will take some photographs.

Roger in France.

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 11:19:49 am »

Getting back to the original question Hurricanes and storms do not only form at night and why that should be such a misconception I'm not sure.

I've been through many of both through the hours of daylight on various sizes of vessels.

As for Dean, this goes down as one of the strongest Hurricanes ever to make landfall with winds of 165 mph when it hit Mexico.  It has now passed over the Carribean area and most facilities are back to normal, including flights and hotels.  Mexico is getting a much harder time of it though.

However we are now in the middle of the hurricane season out here so where and when the next one is going to materialise is anyones guess.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2007, 12:08:07 pm »

Here is a great site for keeping an eye on such things, particularly if you are travelling and want to see what is happening in the area.  This page shows you Deans track:

http://flhurricane.com/googlemap.php?2007s4
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2007, 12:44:05 am »

Getting back to the original question Hurricanes and storms do not only form at night and why that should be such a misconception I'm not sure.

I've been through many of both through the hours of daylight on various sizes of vessels.

As for Dean, this goes down as one of the strongest Hurricanes ever to make landfall with winds of 165 mph when it hit Mexico.  It has now passed over the Carribean area and most facilities are back to normal, including flights and hotels.  Mexico is getting a much harder time of it though.

However we are now in the middle of the hurricane season out here so where and when the next one is going to materialise is anyones guess.

As a rider to Bunkerbarge reply. Hurricanes or Typhoons occur elsewhere. Notoriously in the South China sea. I would suggest (without denigrating the severity of the hurricanes that can lash the Carib. or the southern US) that the typhoons that hit countries in the SE part of Asia are more violent than those coming off the Atlantic. Most of the areas they hit are not on the Tourist Trail and so do not gather much news coverage. Remember the "Derbyshire"? After being caught in a couple of them off the S.Cihina coast I can assure you all that the film "The Perfect Storm" was a doddle.
Notes from a simple seaman

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2007, 02:35:42 am »

Australia gets them too, only they're called cyclones here. Cyclone Tracey obliterated Darwin in the late 70s, and Larry devastated parts of the north Queensland coast recently as well. Fortunately most of them cross the coast in unpopulated areas, especially those on the west coast. We often get the aftermath of them here in northern NSW, in the form of big seas, strong winds and heavy rain. I have often seen weather maps showing 2 or 3 of them queued up in the Coral Sea heading for the Pacific Islands and ultimately the Australian east coast. They're not nice :(
Peter.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2007, 06:55:20 pm »

Australia gets them too, only they're called cyclones here. Cyclone Tracey obliterated Darwin in the late 70s, and Larry devastated parts of the north Queensland coast recently as well. Fortunately most of them cross the coast in unpopulated areas, especially those on the west coast. We often get the aftermath of them here in northern NSW, in the form of big seas, strong winds and heavy rain. I have often seen weather maps showing 2 or 3 of them queued up in the Coral Sea heading for the Pacific Islands and ultimately the Australian east coast. They're not nice :(
Peter.

I just loved the way the "Darwinites" have now tied down their houses with steel cables over the roof. Sensible. Still too bloody hot for me up there though.
Notes from a simple seaman

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2007, 06:47:08 am »

Too hot for me too Bryan. The temperature stays at around 32 deg C during the day, winter and summer, but the humidity varies - from 80% to 100% ;D ;D. I once had a bloke from up North Queensland tell me, when I was visiting that area, that he never goes down our way, it's too cold, he always goes north for his holidays!! We are only about 50 miles south of the Queensland border, and classed as sub-tropical ::)
If I lived in Darwin, (not that I have any desire to) I'd be tying my house down too, having seen what those cyclones can do.
Peter
PS. We are leaving tomorrow with our caravan for Hervey Bay, about 350km north of Brisbane, where they have just had over 800mm of rain in 36 hours!!! That's an Australian record apparently. Thankfully, the system has now moved out to sea, and the weather is fine. P.

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2007, 07:53:24 am »

Peter,

The new record in OZ for rain now stands at 1 metre in 48 hours, more than I can drink mate.......... ::) ::)

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.