Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Air Brush  (Read 3023 times)

Hover Tim

• Full Mayhemer
Air Brush
« on: September 27, 2016, 09:59:39 pm »

Hello all
i tend to use Halfords spray paint for my models as they are big at 5 foot by two foot this is my current project it cost a small fortune in rattle cans so i though about an airbrush but these tend to be small and i have not had much luck in the past with getting the mix of paint right and it ended up a clogged up mess but after watching all the car restoration programs they seem to use much larger versions but these may be too big for model use is there anything between them

Tim   

knoby

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Air Brush
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 10:20:44 pm »

I use a mini spray gun for everything but detail work. Generally cheaper than air brush, larger capacity, can spray thicker paint, easier to clean & can turn the fan down very small. Disadvantage is it uses more air & produces more overspray.
The path of excess leads to the tower of knowledge

tsenecal

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 05:15:58 pm »

I don't know what they specifically are called in your area, but over here, they are called "Detail Guns"....  basically a small version of a classic automotive airbrush, designed so spray "small amounts" of automotive paint.  capable of spraying much more than a standard model airbrush, but not as much as a fullsize airbrush

examples:
http://www.harborfreight.com/4-oz-hvlp-touch-up-air-spray-gun-61473.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Am-Tech-Mini-Touch-Up-Spray-Paint-Detail-Model-Makers-Gun-with-7oz-Feed-Cup-/151960381827?hash=item23618b6983:g:YWQAAOSwqrtWo9Z1

Paul Swainson

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
    • My build of HMS Illustrious 87 1939-1942
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 05:20:00 pm »

I wish some one could help new guys to air brushing paint how to mix the paint to get the milky mixture.  I use Humbro Acrylic   small paint tins but can I get the mixture correct. Could some one who does regularly help with say weighting the amount of paint and then the amount of thinners to get the milky mix.  Would be a great help.

tsenecal

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 05:25:53 pm »

I wish some one could help new guys to air brushing paint how to mix the paint to get the milky mixture.  I use Humbro Acrylic   small paint tins but can I get the mixture correct. Could some one who does regularly help with say weighting the amount of paint and then the amount of thinners to get the milky mix.  Would be a great help.

I think the reason its not easy is because each brand, and each type (acrylic vs lacquer, Humbrol vs Pactra) all use different ratios, and some company's recommendations work well, while others have to be tested and altered.  in addition to that, different airbrushes with different needles require different viscosities.

basically, what i am saying is its a black art to get YOUR paint to flow well through YOUR airbrush, and practice is the best answer.

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2016, 12:50:06 am »

If you have a look at Humbrols web site there is plenty of info on all there products ,video on spraying , decal fitting weathering ,paint mixing .
David
Two heads are better than one sheep head  as my old plant manager used to say
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 21 queries.