Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: BernoCo Models ships – 3D printed kits  (Read 3930 times)

BernCo Ships

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
BernoCo Models ships – 3D printed kits
« on: September 30, 2016, 12:44:57 am »

Hi Everyone! I'm Bernie! This is my first time on a model boat forum, so I am excited to share what I have done so far.

What I have 3d printed so far;
*1/35th Armidale class patrol boat (as I served on them). 1.7M in length with functional bow thruster. (1/24th design WIP)

*1/72nd Kanimbla class LPA (as I served on these too). 2.2M in length with bow thruster and built in ballast tank system (to save on transport weight). (WIP)

*1/72nd Smit class supertug. 1M in length. Functioning BT, final design with highest level of detail yet. (WIP)

*1/72nd Olympic class RMS Titanic. 3.7M in length! This one is still a work in progress, but she is designed as a glorified RC submarine for sinking. As such, ballasting needed to be permanent, resulting in 140kg of concrete lining her hull. Ready for launch before final detail fit-out, but currently looking for a trailer for transport.

A little about what I do;
For the past two years I have been developing complete model kits to use 3d printing as the method of producing them. I initially did this to please my own hobbies, but I have had a lot of interest in my successes. So I thought about sharing my creations with others by selling them as kits. Unfortunately I was not able to generate enough sales to develop kits full time, so I had to return to the work force which forced me to shut down my web page (due to lack of time to develop and manage). This is why the links to my web page are no longer active, and I apologize for any inconvenience.
The good news is, I am still working on kit development, and still selling the odd 1/35th Armidale kit when time allows me to do so (as its the only officially complete kit to sell).
I am still aspiring to someday make a full-time job out of this love of robotics and model boats combined, so I am working on dramatically lowering the price of my kits by cutting down the time it takes to manufacture them. I.e. build MORE ROBOTS! The more printers I have, the less time it will take to print a model = cheaper models!
I am currently designing a modular gantry style printer that will combine multiple 12 cubic inch printers into the one module. Not only to use for myself, but to develop as kits for others to buy. The printers that I design are specifically designed to handle large scale prints, and are perfect for printing remote controlled ships. I plan on someday developing an online kit and parts library for all who buy my printers to borrow the designs and print for themselves. I think that 3d printing will be a massive game changer for model boating all over the world, and I hope to be a part of this new and exciting method of creativity.

Future kit plans;
*1/72nd Tirpitz class battleship (with functional steering!)
*Re-designing the 1/35th Armidale kit to a 1/24th model.
*Static models such as the rockets from the space race
*Playing around with laser cutting robots, to design cutout bulkheads for a live steam driven 1/24th Titanic. That's right... your scale calculations are correct... it will be THAT BIG! I'm trying my luck at a kickstarter, as If it is successful the minister of home war & finance has given me approval to start this one earlier. Check out the video of what I plan to do in this link - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1521707595/worlds-biggest-working-titanic-model-kit?ref=user_menu

Let me know what you all think about what I have done so far. And thanks for reading. Hope to chat soon!

Cheers
Bernie

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: BernoCo Models ships – 3D printed kits
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 03:28:57 am »

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 06:25:15 am »

Welcome to Mayhem from another Armidale builder, although my "Rat", Ararat, took 3 years so anything to cut building time and increase sail time is very welcome.
So good to know that Oz is in the forefront of initiatives and I wish you well in your endevours.  :-))
No doubt the other antipodians will add there wishes.  %%

g6swj

• Full Mayhemer
  • Short Wave Jammer! -.-
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2016, 08:41:42 am »

Hello Bernie,

Very interested to read about your journey with your models. Some really amazing stuff..... I would be interested to explore what would be involved (apart from exchange of beer tokens) to produce an Armidale model here in the UK.

I have no experience of 3D printing but my interest is growing - almost to the tipping point of purchasing/building a printer. I would like to understand how simple/complicated it is to print something from a design file you have purchased from someone else (e.g. perhaps you).

Once the 3D printer has been 'calibrated' is it as simple as open design file for part X and click print?

I guess what I am interested in is how much knowledge do you need to have about the "3D" bit or is it now at a stage WYSIWYG simply open file/ click print / some time later part printed?

Regards
Jonathan

BernCo Ships

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2016, 11:50:27 am »

Hi Jonathan

To be honest, kind of is/kind of isn't easy. To do what I have done, I had to build my own printers. It was either that, or fork out $12,000 for the cheapest printer that would suit my needs. Basically, if you have the printer that will do the job, and the files ready to go, a print probably takes around 5-10 minutes of minor fiddling to get on.

Setting the print is the easy part. Its the learning how they work, knowing what you need it to do, learning how to design/build one, designing it for that need, gathering parts lists, building and testing, adjusting design and tweaking to get it to work, learning how to use 3d modelling software, learning how to convert that 3d model into a file the printer can use, building a very expensive prototype boat only to find out what parts fail mechanically for the final product, and spending hours... hours... hours... hours... and still many more hours to go, which is the hard part. To be honest, it f*#king sucks! I could have made 20 ships by now if I put the same time and effort into traditional model making. But I know that what I am doing now will someday be the foundation of getting someone like yourself up and running with ship printing pretty painlessly.

I am working on designing a printer kit that is specifically designed to print massive model ships. I have also developed a LOT of 3d model files of hulls, fittings, and some whole ship kits which I hope to make available for anyone.

My end goal won't be to sell ships, but printer kits. And to operate a "parts warehouse" in the form of a website. It will be a library of all sorts of 3d models for anyone to download and print FOR FREE! But there's a catch. Your profile will be ranked, starting at the bottom. Your rank will effect how many parts you can download a day, and what size parts you have access to. Of course there will be a monetary incentive to go up a rank, but you will also be able to earn your rank by making and uploading your own 3d models to the parts library. I hope that this will encourage members to add their own value to the website, and hereby building a MASSIVE free online catalog of billions of parts for anyone to print. As well as full support with any 3d printing needs to export your downloads into the real world.

Its only an idea at this stage, but the 3d printers I am designing are well underway. I will keep you up to date on the progress if you want.

Cheers
Bernie

Sonar

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2016, 04:29:11 pm »

This sounds like it is well above my head.

But if a std size 3d  printer is all that will be required maybe I am in with a bit of a chance then.

Atlantic Mouldings

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2016, 06:51:13 pm »

looking really good , watching with interest :-))

BernCo Ships

• Shipmate
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2017, 09:44:44 pm »

Smit London Ocean Tug 3d printing files are now available for download, as well as the older version of the Armidale Patrol Boat. You can find it here;

https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-print-models/hobby-diy/other/remote-controlled-smit-london-ocean-tug-3d-print-model

BernCo Ships

• Shipmate
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2017, 11:08:01 am »

Here it is ladies and gents! The hull and superstructure designs for the giant 1/72nd Titanic! All ready to be printed yourself.
Its just the prototype at this stage, but still fully functional and looking great!

https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-print-models/hobby-diy/other/giant-4-meter-rms-titanic-3d-printable-remote-controlled

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2017, 11:27:41 am »

My goodness it will never float.  %)  %)
Gunna build those other boats one day.

BernCo Ships

• Shipmate
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2017, 11:43:15 am »

Mine does, with 140kg of concrete in it. The trick is to check for ice before sailing. Haha

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2017, 01:51:54 pm »

Here it is ladies and gents! The hull and superstructure designs for the giant 1/72nd Titanic! All ready to be printed yourself.
Its just the prototype at this stage, but still fully functional and looking great!

https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-print-models/hobby-diy/other/giant-4-meter-rms-titanic-3d-printable-remote-controlled

What is this OFFER PRICE  all about...............will you take 20$ for it all.....................just don't understand your terminology to be honest.

mind you it wouldn't go in my flat I'm afraid.

Jim.
life is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic!

BernCo Ships

• Shipmate
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2017, 06:43:56 am »

It's not my terminology Jim. It's the site. It still gives people an option to offer a price, despite the listed price. At which case, if a price is offered under my listed price, I would kindly provide guidance in which slot to insert said offer. ;)

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2017, 08:52:10 am »

thanks for the explanation. O0 :-))

Jim.
life is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.