Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hikurangi – classic 1960s wooden tug  (Read 10668 times)

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Hikurangi – classic 1960s wooden tug
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2016, 11:49:27 pm »

Thanks Ballastanksian, glad you're enjoying it. Attached is shot of the hook finished and painted. It's worth putting in the extra effort but doesn't seem so at the time.
Things are starting to fall into place quite quickly now. Glazed the windows without too much bother – that part can be a nightmare if it goes wrong, and was able to knock out the railings in an afternoon. I had thought that they would take longer but they came together pretty easily, considering the complex form of the top rail. They are brass rod, soldered and filed clean.
All painted and glued into position so the cabin is stating to look the part.
Still deciding whether to put the canvas siding onto the flying bridge railing. Tending towards yes at the moment.
The grab rails on the real boat are stainless steel but I've upgraded my Hikurangi to polished brass. She deserves it and it goes well with the polished teak.
Lots of touching up and tweaking left to do...

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2016, 09:42:44 am »

Very crisp - sweet lines! How did you get the prop shaft in? Would it have been easier to build the keel/framing/planking around it?

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2016, 08:41:42 pm »

Did you solder the parts whilst mounted on the roof and superstructure before removing it to fettle and paint? Otherwise your jig must have been as complex as the superstructure!

Excellent work Steve  :-))
Pond weed is your enemy

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2016, 07:44:38 pm »

Dreadnought – this one is just for display so the shaft's only about 50mm long. Just enough to let the prop spin freely. I cut out a section of the keel halfway through construction and added a short shaft tube. I probably could have planned that better. Hindsight is always 20/20.

Ballastanksian – dead right. Luckily it only has 2 rails so I took a punt and made it in position. Positioned all of the stanchions and then formed and put the top rail on, doing the 4 corners first. The top rail and stanchions were held in place with tape and blocks of balsa. Then I took everything off the roof and added the lower rail. If it had been 3 rails I would normally have made a jig and used etched brass stanchions, however the real Hikurangi has welded tube railings and I wanted to match them as closely as possible. Worked out OK but more to good luck than good management.

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2018, 03:05:08 am »

I've finally got the little 'Hik' back on the bench after 15 months of languishing in a cupboard. Turns out I can't work on two projects at once, had to wait to finish my last boat before I could get back onto this one.

Didn't take too long to get back up to speed, once I had figured out what was left to finish. I started working through the 'box of bits', glueing on the last remaining items, and re-aquainting myself with the model. The ventilators were printed at Shapeways - turned out alright.

This is where I'm at now. I had forgotten what nice lines the boat has. It really is a good looking hull design.

Still need to rig the derrick, install the wire railings, and the fenders are looming as a major task. I had initially thought that they were rubber but on closer inspection of the the old photos, they are rope. There are several places that sell model rope fenders but not small enough for 1/50. I experimented with a couple of ways of representing them but nothing looked even remotely decent. Looks like I'll have to make them in the traditional way – thousands of tiny hitches.

That should push the eyesight to the limit.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2018, 04:02:23 am »

Lovely job  :-))
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2018, 09:19:25 am »

Finally got this project back on track.
It has been sitting in a cupboard waiting for the last couple of items to be built. The main one being a rope fender.
I tried a couple of ways of making them but nothing look right so I ended up making them in the traditional manner – hundreds and hundreds of tiny hitches.
After a week's worth of evenings spent tying tiny hitches it is all completed – and dyed.
The Hikurangi was supplied with one large rope fender but the photos show it being used on the bow, and the stern at various times. I've opted to have it on the bow – as it was on the day when the Hikurangi first sailed into Gisborne port.
All I need to do now is attached it – hopefully that won't take another 12 months.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2018, 10:33:29 am »

Can't wait to see this lovely tug on the water!
   :-)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2018, 06:54:02 am »

Thanks Martin, but this one is for display only so it won't be getting wet anytime soon.

I had a look back through the last few posts and realised that the thread is not totally up to date.
I had completed the derrick and finished the railings around the bow.
The pulleys for the derrick were made from some etched brass that I had made at the very start of the project. The components can be made into a single, double or triple pulley block, the hook is attached to a wooden block.
Rigging the derrick was more fiddly than expected although it turned out OK.
The railings around the bow on the real boat are wire through steel stanchions. Mine are nylon thread and PE brass. They are fairly delicate so it's 'handle with care' from now on – I'm amazed that I haven't snapped off the bilge keels yet.
Only the towing bow/arc and fender to attach, and one small mast to make and it'll finally be finished.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2018, 09:18:51 am »

Ah, shame.    <:(
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2018, 06:20:41 am »

I had a reasonably good weekend finishing a few little jobs on the Kumea and Hikurangi. Hats off to you guys who have several projects going at once. I find it difficult to jump between them – can't walk and chew gum at the same time I guess. My wife's been telling me that for years.

With the Hikurangi's fender all finished I fixed it onto the hull. I put a couple of U bolts into the rubbing stip and attached them to the fender with some lengths of chain.

The fender is dyed very black and photos don't capture too much detail but up close the fender looks good. I'm happy with it. The weeks of hitching might just be worth it.

Also glued on the towing bow. 

Just about all finished but it has been over 2 years since I started this one and the rub-down dry transfers I'd had made for the ship's name on the transom have gone off – lost their stickiness. They come from Vancouver and are not cheap so I'll have to wait until I'm ordering some other transfers before I get them reprinted. Hopefully it won't be another 12 months.

And I realised that I have lost the searchlight – I know I had made one but I can't find it anywhere. Have to remake it.

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2023, 05:21:17 am »

Wow, I just checked the starting date of this build and it was almost 7 years ago. My last progress report was 730 days ago.

A lot has happened since then, although I can't think what. Tempus fugit.

Anyway, the Hikurangi has been 99.9% finished since 2018, only needing its name, forward radio mast, and searchlight attached. Mast - no problem but I couldn't find the searchlight anywhere. I'm sure I had made one ages ago, so made another and promptly misplaced that.

Then it went into a cupboard waiting for the name decals – and I forgot about it for 2 years. Well, I didn't forget about it I was avoiding it, I'd got sidetracked on some other builds.

After having all of my boats, tools and materials in storage for the last 2 years (house moving) I started unpacking everything in my new workshop last week and found the searchlight brackets – 3 of them but no light. Made another one and touched up some minor storage damage and the Hikurangi is now done and dusted.

Locksley

• Full Mayhemer
    • Echo Range Models
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2023, 02:21:28 pm »

Beautiful!  :-))
Alex

Hande

• Full Mayhemer
  • Dream being fulfilled after 47 years.
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2023, 07:16:53 pm »

I don't believe, what I see - an eyewatering example of a nice story combined with great implementation...
Your build occupies the same timespan as mine - I'm in a nursery of model building ("doing what I can"), whereas your work is in the category:"Doing what I want".
The end result is simply beautiful :-))
Trial-and-error doesn't spell failure - right?

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2023, 01:11:20 am »

Thanks Locksley – great work on that bantam tug. I've often thought of building a Bantam No.1. Such strange looking little boats.

And thanks Hande, I've picked up a few tips from your build. I wish my work was as clean and tidy as yours.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 22 queries.