Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Same ship different year.  (Read 3772 times)

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
Same ship different year.
« on: October 02, 2016, 01:26:37 pm »

The Skandi Iguana, fresh out of the shipyard in 2013 and roll forward to summer of this year. I can't believe how DOF have allowed her to get in this condition, even if she is working out of Brazil - renowned for being hard on the oil support sector.

jarvo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Etherow model boat club
Re: Same ship different year.
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2016, 08:22:22 pm »

Judging by the amount of carbon deposits on the exhaust stacks, she needs a dry dock and at least a light re-fit, shame she is in such poor condition

Mark
Tugs are for pulling

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2016, 10:02:02 pm »

Cripes  %% She is in a state. I hope the engines while putting out some good carbon deposits are not too delicate or she might run ot of puff while doing something critical.
Pond weed is your enemy

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2016, 10:36:39 pm »

Beauty :kiss: .....[or lack of it] is only skin deep  .......

I understand they are developing reverse "catatonicononialic"  converters {-) which attract the carbon monoxide particles in the exhaust aperture's to save them being distributed in the atmosphere...so this could explain the visual appearance of the ships exhausts

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2016, 10:55:33 pm »

Well, the paint is a bit faded and discoloured (red is a paint colour that tends to fade more in the sun than most others), but it's still there, so the metal is protected. What's the problem, apart from looking a bit grubby?

jarvo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Etherow model boat club
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2016, 11:14:32 pm »

Hi plague, look closer at the waterline and above, she has no paint and is starting to corrode quite badly, much more and her hull will be weakened

Mark
Tugs are for pulling

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2016, 01:18:53 am »

When we see her on the blocks I feel sure adequate sacrificial zinc blocks will be evident

The cost of painting is only as good as the surface preparation.....the lack of paint at and below the waterline is I suspect not gross surface corrosion, but a poor quality or poorly prepared surface prior to painting which has resulted in the paint literally falling or being brushed off in the seaway

In these days of TBTO [tributyltinoxide] and self polishing co-polymer paint systems <*<...together with impressed voltage currents applied to the hull structure, visual corrosion is a far less concerning issue.......and only cosmetic

Derek

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2016, 03:54:42 am »

Truth be told the south american crews ( european shios are contracted out, and always crewed by locals) have no pride in the ships they work on, afterall they are not theirs! This sort of 'abuse' is always getting mentioned on the offshore forums. The crews might not do much for the hull paint but they could slap some around topsides, they choose not to. In one case a ship coming back off contract was in such poor shape inside and out that that Maersk sold it rather than have to carry out the refit it needed.

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2016, 09:10:24 am »

Hi plague, look closer at the waterline and above, she has no paint and is starting to corrode quite badly, much more and her hull will be weakened

Mark
Looking closely I realised that what looks like no paint isn't. You can still see the thruster markings. It's actually just staining and if you look at the 'new' picture there is already a stained bow-wave on her then.
There is a grey area adjacent to the bulb that may be where the top coat has gone and that's primer/undercoat, but it could also be a patch up or just a different coloured stain. But either way it isn't bare metal.
So although it does look bad at a glance I'm not sure that this is a vessel in terminal decline ... yet  :-)

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2016, 06:57:46 pm »

Why is it so bad out there, is there more detritus / sand suspended in the water?
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2016, 08:24:36 pm »

Why is it so bad out there, is there more detritus / sand suspended in the water?
Just algae I'd think - warm waters = things grow a lot :-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 22 queries.