Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Decking / Planking  (Read 32938 times)

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Decking / Planking
« Reply #75 on: July 26, 2009, 02:45:22 am »

Hi Marion the answer to this is, I don't know. But here is what I would do.

I would take a piece of paper and draw the outline of the deck area. Then draw on the planking arrangements at the width of plank used. Including the but joints at the ends of the planks, unless I was going to have a continous plank from fore to aft.

This will give me the number of pieces needed. I would then add for waste. If I was going to plank end to end in one go, I would add 4 or 5 planks, in case of breakage.

If there were going to be butt joints, I would make sure that a plank could give me two pieces of different length that I could use. I would also add about 10-15% for wastage, from breakage or cuts that did not work out.

If I were going to curve the planking, I would allow 20% for wastage as I know I will break stuff.

I would expect to have stuff left over at the end, but this would go into my box of timber bits for future models. Much better than running out.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Beagle1831

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #76 on: January 17, 2013, 08:40:41 am »

Just planning a deck planking attempt- this thread has been very useful. Another method I've read about is running a soft pencil down the edges of the planks before laying to simulate caulking. Does anyone have any experience of how this compares with the electrical tape approach?
Thanks!
James
Work in progress and RN history on Instagram @beagleshipmodels

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #77 on: January 17, 2013, 09:33:04 am »

Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #78 on: January 17, 2013, 02:24:49 pm »

Trawlerman has just used this method using the thick leaded carpenters pencil to very good results.
I myself use normal aliphatic resin glue, and put water based black paint in the glue mix and when the planks are squeezed together the glue oozes up to make the caulking effect.
it doesn't affect the properties of the glue either.
neil.

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #79 on: January 19, 2013, 09:40:35 pm »

Hi,I use the same method ie a soft pencil, to good effect. The deck then becomes as one when glued up in comparison to using tape etc. Remember the tape will act as a separator when gluing up therefore keeping each plank apart from its neighbour. It works for me. Nemesis

Beagle1831

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #80 on: January 21, 2013, 06:14:08 pm »

Thank you for the advice! Will try to post some photos of progress once I've got a bit done.
James
Work in progress and RN history on Instagram @beagleshipmodels
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 22 queries.