Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Decking / Planking  (Read 32942 times)

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
Decking / Planking
« on: August 13, 2007, 05:12:54 pm »

Hi all, does anybody know of a supplier of ready made decking sheets in this country ? I got some for a previous build, from Micro-mark in the USA, but got stung on the customs charges when it was delivered. It would be nice to get it from the UK if possible. Cheers Dan.

R2-D2

Re: Decking / Planking
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 05:18:09 pm »

Try   http://www.deansmarine.co.uk/  they have some .
                   http://deansmarine.co.uk/order1/accp/Untitled-7.jpg
Luke

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 05:33:14 pm »

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 06:17:44 pm »

You could try :

http://www.yellowcatshop.co.uk/shop/default.asp?clientid=14&gid=4dmod&viewstate=32769&tabcatid=3500106&subcatid=3500120

They show sheet planking of various timbers but no pictures. There is a phone number at the bottom of the page.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Peterm

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 07:12:32 pm »

I got mine from The Dolls House.   Their web address is on Google.   Pete M
I`m not just old, I`m ancient

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007, 07:30:31 pm »

Hi Thanks for the web addresses. I've had a quick browse through them, they seem to do individual planks, the type I was after are glued togeather with black glue to simulate caulking, as in the pic. I've left a couple of e mails to see what they do. Cheers again for the help Dan.

R2-D2

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2007, 09:11:23 pm »

If you find the supplier can you tell us they look very handy.

Luke

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 03:34:01 pm »

If you find the supplier can you tell us they look very handy.

Luke
Hi I got these from the USA at www.micro-mark.com , they do various width planks at roughly £3.50 a sheet which is 3" X 36". The only problem is that sometimes you get caught by customs & they put another £10.00 on the price. the planks look great once fitted & stain up really nicely too. Dan.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2007, 10:52:13 pm »

Moderated A general plank is about 5" wide for a modern ship. I also notice that there is no "end" to the planks. Moderated I would suggest between 20 and 25 feet as a rough guide. The shift of butts is important. Get it wrong and you will destroy your decking. Difficult to say how to do it in words but the idea is to get as much separation between the butts as possible. I suppose 4.2.3.1. layout should look correct. Moderated. BY.

Notes from a simple seaman

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2007, 11:09:56 pm »

Bryan's post isn't altogether helpful but if you search "Planking" on the Forum there is quite a lot of useful information.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2007, 11:22:52 pm »

'Anyone can be polite to a king. It takes a gentleman to be polite to a everyone else.'

Sarcastic and demeaning remarks are never helpful and will not be toterated on this forum.

Strike One BY.

Admin.

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2007, 10:38:37 am »

never found planking ready printed that has the butts. if you find any one who supplies pleese share.
i made my own for one of my ships. cut indiviual planks to the correct lenght then glued them to black paper, edge down, in blocks of 30 or so. when the glue had dried just sliced them apart with a very sharp knife then glued them down to a false deck. very satisfying finnish, but toock forever.
good luck
colin
grumpy old XXX

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
  • Black, white and buff - not grey!
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2007, 11:25:05 am »

I adopt a similar approach. but I use black insulation tape to represent caulking. I also found it very difficult to align the butts if I cut the planks to length prior to gluing down, so now I use continuous strips and represent the butts with a sharp, hard pencil line. I usually use 1/16" thick obechi, to the appropriate scale width - in the illustration below 6" (1:96 = 1/16")

Rick

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2007, 11:37:19 am »

grumpy old XXX

charvey

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2007, 11:39:51 am »

I used stringing lines from a marquetry website http://www.marquetry.co.uk/main/acatalog/Stringing.html, I used 1mm "Black" on it's side to give about 0.75mm caulking and 3.2mm Teak, which they did as a special cut for me, though it was no more expensive. They also do line banding which may be useful.

Cut each plank to size before you fix it to the deck, this is especially important for the angled or shaped ends, though the square ends can be trimmed to length by a few millimeters if the length is not quite correct. Each "Plank" is glued to the deck using Dunlop Thixofix, spread on the plank and plastic deck.  Allow the thixofix to dry to the touch then press the plank onto the deck with a good firm thumb! Using Thixofix will allow you to move the planks slightly to get the positioning correct. and once you have done an area everything should hold it's self together.

I did the STD side first then left it a week and completed the port side planking (the order is not important ;-) ) then gently rub it down using a fine rubbing paper (I used wet and dry) wrapped around a small block, remembering to finish rubbing with the grain of the wood. I say rub gently, the wood is less than 1mm thick so it does not take much to sand through - I know I have done it! If any of the planks lift whilst rubbing down they can be reattached with thixofix applied on a pin or something.

This was my first attempt so the planking is simplified - I am sure though you could produce a more prototypical planking using this method.

The picture shows the planking rubbed down but not oiled - I have now used Robbe Wood Wax to really bring out the finish.

charvey

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2007, 12:02:09 pm »

Here is the cockpit floor, and the anchor locker detail.  The boat is a Robbe Comtesse.

Chris

sinjon

• Sinjon
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Model Bioat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2007, 12:36:57 pm »

I also use black insulation tape, same as RickF, I got the tip from Bryan Young, I think it works well, for me the best yet.

I lay my planks down on double sided tape, the deck marked with the planking shift - length of the plank divided by four, and each plank advanced by 1/4, so that every fifth plank lines up with the first.

Also on the insulation tape, I leave a few mm spare at the end, which I fold round for the butt.

Very, Very tedious, but it really does look good.

Colin
Colin

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2007, 10:06:33 pm »

Guys, in very simple terms, explain the insulation tape caulking please. I am about to start a planking project, it will be my first, although I have had a bit of a practise run on scrap wood. I cannot do any planking off the deck, it has to go straight on due to the curvature and shape of the deck. THe caulking needs to be grey, so I was thinking of grey insulation tape, or "gaffer tape2, which is a bit thicker, and grey!
So am I right saying lay a plank, allow to set, then a strip of insulation tape, then another plank, and so on?. If so, when rubbing down the planks for the final laquer, will you not rub the tape and cause it to fray or rip?.
It needs to be grey to replicate below.
Many thanks,
Paul
PS.... Any quick responses would be appreciated, going to the shows tomorrow so if I need to buy anythig, thats the day!
www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=6407663
www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=6407662

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2007, 10:23:29 pm »

If you have to lay the deck direct then you might consider using grey sewing/button thread between the planks. Use aliphatic or similar glue. (I assume that the base deck is wood). Then coat the deck in sanding sealer to stiffen the thread and planking and rub down with medium wet and dry before finishing with matt or satin varnish. I have used this method successfully with black thread and it looks OK. Time consuming though! Quick grab aliphatic does speed up the process.

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2007, 10:54:38 pm »

Thanks Colin, yes its a wood deck. If I use thread, is that thick enough? Does the thread have be be level with the top surface of the plank ( if you know what I mean) The pictures above all seem to be one level of caulking and plank. I dont mind spending time doing it, I started painting the hull 4 weeks ago, just doing a bit at a time!
Paul

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2007, 11:15:51 pm »

Yes, I know what you mean. I used thin stripwood which measures 0.6mm thick using my electronic calipers. The thread was button thread which is a bit thicker than standard sewing thread and is close to the thickness of the wood so no problems there. I "painted" aliphatic wood glue along the deck and laid the plank then laid the thread alongside it. Then I laid the next plank, pushing it up alongside the first one to sandwich the thread. I used a damp cloth to wipe the surface clean and bed everything down. It's tedious but not too slow and because the glue is water soluble you can fiddle about if the layout isn't quite right. The finished result looked like this at 1:48th scale.

Other people have different methods which work equally well. Depends on what you are comfortable with.

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
  • Black, white and buff - not grey!
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2007, 12:10:33 am »

With the "insulation tape method", you take a length of tape approximately three feet long and place it sticky side up. You then fit as many decking planks - ON EDGE - on to it as possible and rub down well. Using a sharp blade you then separate the planks. This gives you a number of planks with caulking attached down one side.

You then glue down your deck with your favorite adhesive and leave to set, All that remains then is to smooth it off. I find that if you start sanding straight away the friction heats up the excess tape and makes a mess. So I use a scraper initially (a Stanley knife blade seems ideal) then finally sand gently. I then draw in the butt joints and give it a few coats of satin varnish, sanding down between coats. If I'm feeling a bit artistic, I highlight/stain some of the longer planks between butt joints to disguise the fact that they are continuous strips.

Rick

sinjon

• Sinjon
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Model Bioat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2007, 06:33:52 am »

Hello Paul,
The technique I use for insulation tape caulking is - lay down a strip of tape sticky side up, secure each end with selotape. if you want thicker caulking, just keep adding layers of tape. My planks I have precut to length, and at the scale that I am working to, I can get about 20 to one width of tape, squeeze them tightly together & put edge on to the tape. Cut the tape leaving spare at each end,turn over & burnish the tape onto the planks, turn back over, then its a simple process of just running the finest scalpel between each plank. I start in the middle of the plank and cut out to each end - its easier to control the little bit of spare tape at each end, that you can fold round to cover the butt.
Its sands down well, with no fraying.

Colin

i
Colin

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2007, 09:23:48 am »

thanks to all! Its times like this that this forum comes into its own, where else can you get all this valuable info between 11.30pm and 6.30am! I will try the tape method, looks like its going to be a long job and a winter 1st launch!!
Paul

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2007, 01:57:51 pm »

I know I’ve posted pictures about this before but as we are talking about planking again I thought I would share my own technique.

One of the interesting aspects of getting into a new hobby is that you think a bit more out side the box and use ideas brought from many outside sources.  My method of planking is based on my observations of real deck work on ships during many dry docks over the years rather than established modeling practice and so is probably a bit unusual.  I don’t hold it up as the best but it works well for me and so I offer it as an alternative to consider.

The model in question  is the Mountfleet Ben Ain at 1/32nd scale and the planks are 5mmx1mm.

The first deck was the foc’s’le where I glued all the planks to a ply base separated by plastic spacers to give a 0.5mm gap around all the planks.  I couldn’t find any specific drawings of the time so I assumed that steam ships of this nature being built to a price may well not have had joggled planking, which is considerably more expensive, so I decided not to joggle mine.  I was also led down this path by the pre-printed overlay and I was well on my way before I realized that this could be considered.

Anyway after the planks had all set I made up my caulking mix of waterproof PVA and black powder paint and spread it all over the planks.  All a bit heart stopping to see all that nice work disappear under a pile of black gunge!  After it had set the laborious task of rubbing it all down started.  When the planks showed through I was very pleased with the results and a couple of coats of satin yacht varnish gave me quite a pleasing effect.

The next deck was the bridge deck which received a very similar treatment but was quite a bit easier for not having any fitted planks.

My technique was modified a bit though for the last deck, the flying bridge deck, based on earlier learnings.  Firstly I spaced the planks with plastic extruded angle which was far more consistent and, more importantly, a lot easier to handle.  Then, instead of coating the whole deck with the glue mix, I put it into a small syringe and piped it along the edges.  Strangely enough this is now exactly the same method used when caulking real planks when teak decking is laid on a ship.

Once again a couple of coats of satin to finish but only after the fittings had been glued to the bare wood first to enable the best possible bond.

I have actually just ordered a number of the plank strips from Micro-Mart for future non scale applications which I am looking forward to having a play with.  You could spend a lot of time on their web site!!
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.