Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Decking / Planking  (Read 32945 times)

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
Re: Decking / Planking
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2007, 02:22:17 am »

Saw this update on how full size are doing it, I was supprised how thin and Flexable it was.

Peter

http://www.newson.co.uk/boat/flexiteek-and-aikona-decking/

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2007, 03:29:31 am »

Hi,
An alternative is to use sticky back plastic - fablon. Lay a plank on its edge on the sticky side and with a scalpel cut the fablon alongside the plank. Glue the planks to the deck and when all finished rub down etc.

I have used this method with success a number of times. I have found that because the fablon is stuck to one plank and butted up to by the next plank, it doesnt move or fray when sanding down.

If you get any excess sticking well above deck level, before sanding trim with a v sharp chisel.

Works for me.

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2007, 07:57:17 pm »

Moderated A general plank is about 5" wide for a modern ship. I also notice that there is no "end" to the planks. Moderated I would suggest between 20 and 25 feet as a rough guide. The shift of butts is important. Get it wrong and you will destroy your decking. Difficult to say how to do it in words but the idea is to get as much separation between the butts as possible. I suppose 4.2.3.1. layout should look correct. Moderated. BY.

What on earth has gone wrong here? I was just wondering how a post on planking could be "moderated" and found that little lot! I never wrote that!
However, I was intrigued by the post by "Charvey". He seems to have done a lovely job with a sort of diagonal planking. My main problem with "Bluebird of Chelsea" (NOT "Bluebird of South Shields"), was that the planks themselves were curved. Cutting these was a horrendous waste of time, money and expensive timber. I never thought of doing it in stright diagonal lines. DOH!! Silly me. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2007, 08:03:56 pm »

Bryan's post isn't altogether helpful but if you search "Planking" on the Forum there is quite a lot of useful information.
I quite agree. Even as the supposed author of that drivel it had me confused! Something went wrong with something!
Just finished decking another one (without all the distracting details not attributable to me)......BY.

charvey

« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2007, 09:51:41 pm »

Hi Bryan,
My planking does curve, but only very gently to follow the line of the deck. This is one reason why I chose to use Dunlop Thixofix to glue the planks down. Here is the overall result:

Thanks

Chris

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2007, 09:53:01 pm »

I have done curved planking using cyno - worked ok for me.

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2007, 11:22:50 pm »

I know I’ve posted pictures about this before but as we are talking about planking again I thought I would share my own technique.

One of the interesting aspects of getting into a new hobby is that you think a bit more out side the box and use ideas brought from many outside sources.  My method of planking is based on my observations of real deck work on ships during many dry docks over the years rather than established modeling practice and so is probably a bit unusual.  I don’t hold it up as the best but it works well for me and so I offer it as an alternative to consider.

The model in question  is the Mountfleet Ben Ain at 1/32nd scale and the planks are 5mmx1mm.

The first deck was the foc’s’le where I glued all the planks to a ply base separated by plastic spacers to give a 0.5mm gap around all the planks.  I couldn’t find any specific drawings of the time so I assumed that steam ships of this nature being built to a price may well not have had joggled planking, which is considerably more expensive, so I decided not to joggle mine.  I was also led down this path by the pre-printed overlay and I was well on my way before I realized that this could be considered.

Anyway after the planks had all set I made up my caulking mix of waterproof PVA and black powder paint and spread it all over the planks.  All a bit heart stopping to see all that nice work disappear under a pile of black gunge!  After it had set the laborious task of rubbing it all down started.  When the planks showed through I was very pleased with the results and a couple of coats of satin yacht varnish gave me quite a pleasing effect.

The next deck was the bridge deck which received a very similar treatment but was quite a bit easier for not having any fitted planks.

My technique was modified a bit though for the last deck, the flying bridge deck, based on earlier learnings.  Firstly I spaced the planks with plastic extruded angle which was far more consistent and, more importantly, a lot easier to handle.  Then, instead of coating the whole deck with the glue mix, I put it into a small syringe and piped it along the edges.  Strangely enough this is now exactly the same method used when caulking real planks when teak decking is laid on a ship.

Once again a couple of coats of satin to finish but only after the fittings had been glued to the bare wood first to enable the best possible bond.

I have actually just ordered a number of the plank strips from Micro-Mart for future non scale applications which I am looking forward to having a play with.  You could spend a lot of time on their web site!!

Can you remember when it was that this subject first came up an what sub-heading/thread it was on? I am trying to find my original posts on the use of insulation tape. Thanks if you can help. BY.

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2007, 12:17:22 am »

"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2007, 12:56:50 am »

Hi Bryan, , to me they look grey, not black caulking. I am doing the interior of the boat in mahogany, with white caulking, but the deck will be a light colour, and I thought the caulking on these picc was grey, comments welcome! Too many late nights on this forum could have damaged my eyes, but why do you think grey will not work?
Paul

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2007, 01:00:18 am »

sorry, pics didnt work, they where there in the preview!!
have a look at the attachments in my previous  post please, see what you all think

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2007, 01:41:43 am »

Hi PMdevil

From the look of the foreseck photo the caulking does at first gslance appear gre. However i also see the dceck is in the process fo being scraped.
I am assuming the following. It is black caulking but becuase the surface is rouphed up it is reflecting/defracting light differently. As soon as it is poliched or varnished it will appear shiny black again.
A bit like balck plastic car fenders/bumpers looking grey until oiled/polished.

The other photo of the boat side on also the deck looks a bit grey. This is either because the deck is very scuffed up (hence the refurb in the later photo) or it is just a trick of the light/photography.

From what I can see that is. But what do I know.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2007, 01:59:43 am »

It looks to me, and I have no doubts about this, like you have a varnished interior with white caulking, which is slightly discoloured by the varnish, and the external deck is normal scrubbed teak decking with black caulking.

This would make sense to me as you would not want varnished walkways, which could be very slippery, but you would not want a rough wood finish in the interior spaces.  You will normally find varnished wood in areas that are likely to come into contact with people as it is so much more comfortable.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2007, 05:53:32 pm »

Bryan's post isn't altogether helpful but if you search "Planking" on the Forum there is quite a lot of useful information.
I am not too sure what you are talking about. Are you mentioning something that has been "moderated"? If so then that post whatever it said (I do not know, as it is in "blue") did not come from me. I am really not too sure where to go with this, but I think my password has been hijacked somewhere down the line. Could you please tell me what was "not helpful" so I can possibly read it for the first time.
From what I can gather, a very early post of mine describing the use of Insulation Tape as a method of caulking has been re-introduced to the forum under my name. In general..in fact as a rule...I do not post messages twice. Especially word for word with some offensive words added. I do not know what these "offensive" words are. Something is not right and it appears to be aimed at me. I joined the forum to shove in my pennyworth . Probably ruffled some feathers, but is that not what a "forum" is all about? What has happened to me recently has been malicious and unworthy of anyone interested in model boating. I hope this can all be cleared up soon. BY.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2007, 06:00:52 pm »

With the "insulation tape method", you take a length of tape approximately three feet long and place it sticky side up. You then fit as many decking planks - ON EDGE - on to it as possible and rub down well. Using a sharp blade you then separate the planks. This gives you a number of planks with caulking attached down one side.

You then glue down your deck with your favorite adhesive and leave to set, All that remains then is to smooth it off. I find that if you start sanding straight away the friction heats up the excess tape and makes a mess. So I use a scraper initially (a Stanley knife blade seems ideal) then finally sand gently. I then draw in the butt joints and give it a few coats of satin varnish, sanding down between coats. If I'm feeling a bit artistic, I highlight/stain some of the longer planks between butt joints to disguise the fact that they are continuous strips.

Rick
Hi,Rick.
Interested that you use a 3' length of tape! I find I am in trouble with anything over 6"! I also get only 11 planks off a length, but maybe you have access to a wider tape? I always leave about 0.25" sticking out beyond the plank ends to give me enough tape to fold over for the butt joints.
Can't get over the idea of a 3' length of springy tape though! Cheers. BY.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2007, 06:18:19 pm »

Hi Bryan, , to me they look grey, not black caulking. I am doing the interior of the boat in mahogany, with white caulking, but the deck will be a light colour, and I thought the caulking on these picc was grey, comments welcome! Too many late nights on this forum could have damaged my eyes, but why do you think grey will not work?
Paul

I would guess that you are building to a rather large scale. Perhaps !:12 or 1:18. If that is the case then my insulation tape method will not work.
You are now into the realms of very thin (equivalent thickness to 0.25") plasticard as caulking. And as far as I know there is no grey plasticard on the market. Cut black and you will get black, cut white and you will get white. Yachts and cruise liners often use white caulking, personally, I have never heard of grey. Could be wrong. But I bet you it was white!. BY.

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2007, 07:35:05 pm »

You can plasticard in all sorts of colours....
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1-5mm-A4-Plasticard-hips-Plastic-Sheet-Art-Craft_W0QQitemZ320091390101QQihZ011QQcategoryZ26258QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

OK I stand corrected. But do you think that a mega-bucks gin palace would have grey caulking? I think it would be white. Willing to be proved wrong though! But it would still be about 0.25"thick.(had to get that one in!). BY.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2007, 07:43:59 pm »

But do you think that a mega-bucks gin palace would have grey caulking? I think it would be white.

Yes, that's what you tend to see at the Boat Show - and why they make you take your shoes off before going aboard - and that's if you can blag an invite in the first place! Gin palaces are built to be looked at, not to do anything so vulgar as to go to sea!

kayem

• Full Mayhemer
  • .....excellent!
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2007, 08:25:21 pm »

Yes, that's what you tend to see at the Boat Show - and why they make you take your shoes off before going aboard - and that's if you can blag an invite in the first place! Gin palaces are built to be looked at, not to do anything so vulgar as to go to sea!

Very true. When I was involved with Moonraker Power Yachts, we used to get owners bringing year old examples back to the boatyard with the engine hours not even into three figures. When owners, probably the same ones, complained of poor performance, the service guys used to take them out to sea for an hour or so to give them a really good blast, after which they usually went a lot better.
"Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a book; inside of a dog, it's very dark" Groucho Marx

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2007, 08:49:55 pm »

When I lived in Spain the biggest boat in Puerto Banus never left the dockside in the three and a half years I was there. Always very clean though. The deck was too high to see the colour of the caulking from the dock.  ;)

Doug
Don't Assume Check

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2007, 10:51:50 pm »

But do you think that a mega-bucks gin palace would have grey caulking? I think it would be white.

Nice that you are still talking to me (or at me!) BY.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2007, 11:13:33 pm »

Always happy to discuss matters of common interest Bryan. We can all learn from your techniques in building superb models like Baroda. Have you thought of starting a build thread?

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2007, 12:12:14 am »

Thanks to all, Tigertiger, you are probably right about the true colour of the caulking, and bunkerbarge also. BY, its 4' long, Huntsman 28 (open rear cockpit), circa 1960,  1:12 scale?
THe same as in "From Russia with love". I was tempted to have the fuel barrells in the back, as in the film, but thats going too far (it would however hide some planking and  caulking!)
I picked up some sheets of grey plasticard for 10p each at the ellesmere show, looks like I dont need them now!
Paul
PS... Bryan, why would the insulation tape method not work on a model of this size? On the photos, the planks are quite narrow, and due to the deck being narrow there are not many of them, just wondering before I waste any time with the wrong method!

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2007, 06:09:59 pm »

Always happy to discuss matters of common interest Bryan. We can all learn from your techniques in building superb models like Baroda. Have you thought of starting a build thread?

Not really. For each model I make I try to find alternative ways of doing things. For an example (oh! not again!) I got fed up to the back teeth (if I had any) with some of the horrible results arising from using contact adhesive putting plasticard on to 2mm ply. Always seemed to "gas-up"- and this led me on to my favourite double-sided tape ((Not Again! I hear you shout). Another problem I have come up against is the "bleed" of superglue into veneer...it wrecks the veneer by bleedin in with a white stain. Maybe I should leave the unit for a day to "dry out".
To me, model building is not rocket science but just a matter of patience and "going the extra yard" so to speak. Many, many models would be so much better if the builders were not in so much of a rush to get the model finished and on the water. But it all comes down to what you want from a model I suppose. If you REALLY want to see a thread on my on-going build then I will do so, but I do not want to be accused of "hogging the site" like the last time around. PM me with your thoughts. Bryan.

Stavros

« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2007, 06:25:51 pm »

Having seem the Baroda it would be interesting to see your techniques of model building.If you are doing one how can you hijack the whole site it would be impossible to do so,so lets see you at work so to speak and lets all benefit from your years of kn owlage building models

Stavros
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.