Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Decking / Planking  (Read 32950 times)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Decking / Planking
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2007, 06:51:31 pm »

Quite agree with Stavros. We see your models more or less fully complete Bryan with only some coy hints as to how they got that way. A bit more info in the form of a build thread or just a series of short pieces on "how I did this" in respect of fittings or structural techniques would be welcome and informative.

Colin

Robert Davies

« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2007, 06:52:01 pm »

Raising our Game

A point that Bryan has made before is that we all should be encouraging each other to 'raise our game' in our modelling efforts. We can do this by knowledge transfer via the forum. Having seen the Baroda at EP I'm pretty sure that I could get a 'leg up' as it where, from studying and experimenting with some of the techniques that Bryan used during it's construction.

OK I'm singling Bryan out here.... but there are many people on the forum that have much to teach - Even such basic stuff as decking and planking, can be a minefield to the GRP and Plasticard era modeller such as myself. (Wood's funny stuff y'know....)

So go on Bryan, 'hog away!' :)

-Rob

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2007, 06:56:47 pm »

Having seem the Baroda it would be interesting to see your techniques of model building.If you are doing one how can you hijack the whole site it would be impossible to do so,so lets see you at work so to speak and lets all benefit from your years of kn owlage building models

Stavros

Thanks Stavros. Those are the kindest words you ever said to me!
OK. I will post an on-going "thingy" on my building of a ship called "General Havelock". Until recently there was a pub in North Shields called "The General Havelock". Pulled down to build a "Netto" (funny name for a shop?). The vessel was built in 1895 as s.s. "Leona" by Reids of Port Glasgow.
for the Humber Steam Shpping Co. Her displacement was about 1400 tons. (200' x 30' x 13'). She was bought by Hudsons of Sunderland and renamed in 1904. She traded between Sunderland and London from then until 1926 . She went eventually to Algerian owners and (I believe) she was not scrapped until 1948.
That is the pre-amble. Further posts will be under "Havelock" on the "our builds" thread. Hope youdon't get bored! BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2007, 07:19:42 pm »

Thanks to all, Tigertiger, you are probably right about the true colour of the caulking, and bunkerbarge also. BY, its 4' long, Huntsman 28 (open rear cockpit), circa 1960,  1:12 scale?
THe same as in "From Russia with love". I was tempted to have the fuel barrells in the back, as in the film, but thats going too far (it would however hide some planking and  caulking!)
I picked up some sheets of grey plasticard for 10p each at the ellesmere show, looks like I dont need them now!
Paul
PS... Bryan, why would the insulation tape method not work on a model of this size? On the photos, the planks are quite narrow, and due to the deck being narrow there are not many of them, just wondering before I waste any time with the wrong method!

I had not realised that you were building at 1:12. I thought it had to be of a largish scale but you (originally) did not specify. At 1:12, insulation tape is far too thin. I have only ever built one model at 1:12 (Bluebird of Chelsea) and eventually reached the conclusion that using thin strips of plasticard (your choice of colour...but I would go for white) was the only way to go. I cannot recall the thickness I used but whatever thickness equates to about a quarter of an inch will be ok. Do not worry about bits sticking up...they will trim off very neatly when all else is set. BY.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2007, 07:22:38 pm »

Quite agree with Stavros. We see your models more or less fully complete Bryan with only some coy hints as to how they got that way. A bit more info in the form of a build thread or just a series of short pieces on "how I did this" in respect of fittings or structural techniques would be welcome and informative.

Colin

OK. I gave in a few minutes ago. I surrender! Will do, but give me a bit of breathing space. BY.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2007, 07:52:40 pm »

Raising our Game[b/]

A point that Bryan has made before is that we all should be encouraging each other to 'raise our game' in our modelling efforts. We can do this by knowledge transfer via the forum. Having seen the Baroda at EP I'm pretty sure that I could get a 'leg up' as it where, from studying and experimenting with some of the techniques that Bryan used during it's construction.

OK I'm singling Bryan out here.... but there are many people on the forum that have much to teach - Even such basic stuff as decking and planking, can be a minefield to the GRP and Plasticard era modeller such as myself. (Wood's funny stuff y'know....)

So go on Bryan, 'hog away!' :)

-Rob

Thanks for the comments. It helps me tremendously that I spent 40 years "at sea" (I guess that leave periods take up a proportion of that) but my ships ranged from  Cable Repair Ship "Lady Dennison Pender" (built in 1918) to RFA "Fort Victoria" of recent vintage. It was only in 1966 that I got interested in model ships....ships as opposed to "boats". My first efforts were disastrous. Looked great, but did'nt work. Try again. Then I built "Recorder" (still going strong from completion in 1982). All I did was to "raise my game" and think about it....with copious amounts of the amber nectar (noy the Aussie stuff). Thought and pre-planning is the big idea. Before I do ANYTHING I ask myself "what is the downside" or "how will this affect what I want to do later". I hate "architectural" models where everything is so neat,precise, exact and antiseptic without any feeling for the ship. Apart from the obvious like getting the verticals and horizontals about right. I tend to do the rest by eye. Apart from having a rather "old fashioned" way of thinking ....well, how does that work? or would a man really be able to that job? Stuff like that. And I think that that way of thinking makes my models looked "lived-in". Keep talking. BY.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2007, 08:21:23 pm »

I hate "architectural" models where everything is so neat,precise, exact and antiseptic without any feeling for the ship.

I couldn't agree more. A good model is a work of art which brings out the essence of the original.

J.beazley

• Full Mayhemer
  • The building never ends
« Reply #57 on: September 09, 2007, 10:25:56 am »

Reading this entire thread ive come across the knowledge on how to plank which is great but noone has posted up many references to what width planks you use for different scales.

building in a scale around 1/100 im guessing the planks have got to be really small in width 3mm ??? :-\

Jay
1:48th scale for my ships. Large enough to show gratuitous detail, small enough to stay married.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: September 09, 2007, 11:21:51 am »

Surely the width of the planking used depends not only on the scale, but on the width of planking used on the original.  At large scales this is noticable, at smaller scales it is probable that the correct width is not available from stock anyway, and it all comes down to creating a correct impression - rather than the exact number of planks across a deck, just the difference between "many, lots and lots 'n lots".
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: September 09, 2007, 11:48:32 am »

For many 20th century vessels I think you will find that deck planking should be around 5 to 6 inches wide. (Titanic had 5 inch planks). I believe that some of the older battleships may have had 9 inch planking when you could still easily get planking of these greater widths.

With regard to thickness, it is well known that most of us modellers are as thick as two short planks so this would act as a basis for calculation.... ;)

sinjon

• Sinjon
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Model Bioat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #60 on: September 09, 2007, 12:07:20 pm »

I planked the decks of my Missouri 1:128 with advice from Ken Parker.
The plank length was 60mm, and the width 1.6mm. Hundreds if not thousands, it seemed to take forever,
all stuck down with Zap-a-Gap cyno. My fingers were always stuck together, I got through two bottles of de-bonder.
I now go Bryan's route, double sided tape and black insulation. Surprisingly quick once you get into the swing of it. Just finished the fore deck of my Bulldog at 1:48, plank length of 115mm x 2.9 wide (with caulking) now ready to trim out for bollards etc.

Colin
Colin

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: September 09, 2007, 12:07:45 pm »

in a scale around 1/100 im guessing the planks have got to be really small in width 3mm ??? :-\

or if 5" (90mm) planks then 0.9 mm then  :o
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #62 on: September 09, 2007, 02:02:52 pm »

in a scale around 1/100 im guessing the planks have got to be really small in width 3mm ??? :-\

or if 5" (90mm) planks then 0.9 mm then  :o

5" used to be 125mm do the Chinese make them smaller to make them cheaper ? ??? :-\
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #63 on: September 09, 2007, 02:21:32 pm »

building in a scale around 1/100 im guessing the planks have got to be really small in width 3mm ??? :-\

Jay
That'll make your planks in real life sizes, 300mm or 12 inches Jay.  ::)

J.beazley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: September 09, 2007, 05:34:58 pm »

so im looking at even smaller then 3mm Richard, man this is hard work :D :D

Jay
1:48th scale for my ships. Large enough to show gratuitous detail, small enough to stay married.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #65 on: September 09, 2007, 05:40:17 pm »

so im looking at even smaller then 3mm Richard, man this is hard work :D :D

Jay
5" or 125mm @ 1:100 scale is obviously 1.25 mm.
Rather you than me mate. O0

J.beazley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: September 09, 2007, 05:43:44 pm »

Will be sticking to the 3mm wide planks then  O0 see how i get on and see what she looks like then decide if they need to be thinner (i so hope not)

1.3mm wide would take me years to plank all 8 foot of her.

Jay

J.beazley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: November 06, 2007, 07:32:50 pm »

Right couldnt get on with 3mm wide planking so im going to plank the decks with 5mm wide planks as its easier.

What length should the planks be then now im planking in 5mm strips.
Will lay some planks down on the aft deck and maybe i shall start with my build thread for the battleship.

Jay

Ian Robins

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: November 07, 2007, 09:15:27 pm »

Hi all,
one of our members (Northampton and District Model Boat Club), does his planking by getting a piece of wood the right plank size eg 90mm x 3mm then he paints one side with magic marker (black).
He then holds the wood in the vice and sets up a hand plane to cut a slither of wood on each pass.
After 5 mins he has a pile of wood shavings all curled together. Then all he does is straighten them and stick them to the sub deck.

Wood shavings to wood  - white wood glue
Wood shavings to plastic - Epoxy a piece of paper to the plastic and when dry plank the paper.
The resulting planking is very thin and very light ideal for small scale models. He is currently decking an Arfix Cutty Sark.

To see the result view any of the three square rigged boats on our club stand this weekend at leamington spa

ro88o0

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: November 19, 2007, 07:22:20 pm »

I reckon that planks were made and fitted according to the lengths of timber available at the time. I think that anything between 20' and 30' would be acceptable....in my experience the general length was about 20'. But to continue on this thread, really, does anyone measure the width of a plank to within a half millimetre? On most ships you will find that 4" or 5" wide was "the norm"...except for "Capital" ships where the width could be up to 9" or a bit more. At 1:48 scale I reckon that 1/8th" looks ok and at 1:96 then 1/16" will bear scrutiny....unless you build static models when "scale" is very important.

J.beazley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: November 19, 2007, 09:08:23 pm »

Well reading the thread over and over im planking with Matchsticks  :o
Ive started on the aft end first to see how it goes and well the 10,000 matchs i bought arent going to last long :-\

On the plus side it loooks rather good and will look even better with a coat of varnish over the top.

Jay

Brian_C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: November 19, 2007, 09:56:17 pm »

hi all, planking the decks is a long and boring task, but with time and effort it  can really make the model stand out to look the part, hms nelson 96th scale, took app 4.500 planks on the main deck and app 1.100 on the boat decks, i used basswood and black elec,s tape for the caulking,  i wold never score the decks again, plankings the way forward to give a more pleasing look to the eye,,,, brian_c  O0

Ron1

« Reply #72 on: November 19, 2007, 11:45:35 pm »

I have planked my decks using the electrical tape for years, here,s some on IRON DUKE.

hazegry

« Reply #73 on: January 19, 2009, 03:25:14 am »

wow those are great I have a question how are you doing the butt joints? I have got to do this on my next model

marion2009

« Reply #74 on: July 25, 2009, 06:52:18 pm »

Has anyone built a yacht around 950mm [Robbe Comtesse] in length and planked the deck. I am wondering how much strip to buy as the postage is so expensive to have to buy twice.
I thought about 3mm x 0.6mm walnut strip.
Thanks.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 22 queries.