Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New member......please be patient with me!  (Read 1718 times)

Trawlerman-Les

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
New member......please be patient with me!
« on: October 07, 2016, 02:53:25 pm »

[Hello to all.

I have recently retired after 44 years of HGV driving, so need something to fill up my days, (and probably nights too) whenever I can escape from the list of 'urgent' things to do supplied and constantly added to by my 'carer'.

Currently, my main pastimes revolve around rusty old cars. These are usually referred to as 'classics' by people trying to sell them. I have a '55 Triumph TR2 currently under restoration, a '55 series one Landrover, and a BMW motorbike and sidecar.

As for my model boat interest, I have recently completed an Artesania Latina 'Hellen', which came up on ebay. Enjoyed building it and joined the local model boat club. (Telford). Sail it every week. I have attended a couple of shows and was so impressed with Mountfleets Boston Typhoon, that I bought the kit at Haydock Park. Now I know you may be thinking that it's a very big jump from the Hellen to the Typhoon, and I agree....so I'm sure you will assist me when I ask daft sounding questions. I have read through any build logs several times and may write one myself from a newbie's perspective.

Thanks for reading this

Les
Shropshire
url]]

Kipper

• Full Mayhemer
  • Bodgitts Dry Dock Co.
Re: New member......please be patient with me!
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2016, 03:12:22 pm »

In this hobby, there are no "daft" questions, we all have to start somewhere & everyone has their own skill level.

An old adage is, 'Read the instructions > read them again > make a note of what seems different between the 2 readings > read them again'.  O0

The instructions may say to build in a certain order, but there will be times when it's easier to do things differently.
There is a wealth of knowledge on these forums, but not everyone visits every day, so be patient when asking questions, they will get answers.  :-))
Im gonna need a bigger shed.

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 03:32:40 pm »

Currently, my main pastimes revolve around rusty old cars. These are usually referred to as 'classics' by people trying to sell them. I have a '55 Triumph TR2 currently under restoration, a '55 series one Landrover, and a BMW motorbike and sidecar.

Les
Shropshire

Excellent pastimes I would say. :-)) :-)) :-))

LB Currently restoring 1972 TR6.

Crossie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2016, 05:35:10 pm »

Having owned old Landrovers , one learns patience!! Owning and maintaining old motorbikes teaches Infinite Patience <:(  There won't be much time for 'urgent' jobs in retirement, there's always much too much else to be enjoyed, have fun!

Trevor

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2016, 08:08:53 pm »

Hi Les and welcome to Mayhem.    :-)) 

I have built the Boston Typhoon and enjoyed the experience.  You should have no problems as it's well documented and nice to follow.

Any questions then please ask.

Cheers

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Trawlerman-Les

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2016, 10:39:46 pm »

Hi all

Thank you all for the welcome. Much appreciated.

Today, I made a start on the Typhoon. Just a small step, by cutting the main deck supports. As work progresses a bit further I will start a build log from a beginners point of view. I added a photo of my first (and only) build to my first post, so I know that I can add pictures linked to my Photobucket account. I now have several build logs saved in my favorites to provide inspiration.

Les
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 22 queries.