Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another Italeri PT Boat rc conversion  (Read 4022 times)

Arjan

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Another Italeri PT Boat rc conversion
« on: October 07, 2016, 03:01:14 pm »

I built my model nearly two years ago and it has seen quite a bit of action ever since. I still like its handling and performance although I would probably go for a single brushless motor if I had to build one again . The main problem with these 1/35 plastic kits is that one has to keep the weight down as much as possible. For this reason I decided to go for two motors and two rudders instead of three. I also shaved off as much superfluous plastic from the parts, deck and hull as I could. I personally think that most rc conversions of this kit have resulted in rather heavy boats that lie way too deep in the water.

The disadvantages of this kit: the plastic details are obviously quite vulnerable and the seam between the deck and hull is not watertight ....

Arjan

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Another Italeri PT Boat rc conversion
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2016, 05:02:25 pm »

looks good nice paint job.

Stan. :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

Arjan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 06:12:22 pm »

Thanks Stan, I take it you also used WEM paints. At least,  the colours you used on your PT model look remarkably similar  :-) . I like your model a lot, do you happen to have any action pics ? I also bought Italeri's early PT 109  kit but haven't started on it yet. I think this earlier PT 109 version is more suitable for rc conversion in terms of weight, at least if you delete two of its four torpedo tubes. After all, the additional armament on the late PT version adds an awful lot of weight (and so it did in real life). On the other hand, a single Oerlikon looks a bit dull ....

Regards,

Arjan

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2016, 07:00:45 pm »

Nicely done.  :-))

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2016, 06:53:11 am »

Can you increase buoyancy by using foam or such materials in the hull ???
Gunna build those other boats one day.

Arjan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2016, 10:05:52 am »

Hi,

I'm not terribly good at physics and mathematics but I would say there is plenty of room for enough foam to be fitted inside the hull. I position my Lipo vertically in between the two motors and that leaves most of the forward section and inner sides free for attaching buoyant materials. I use a single Lipo weighing in at 180 grams, which means I can run the boat for about 15 minutes or so before I have to replace it. The boat only takes on water when it is handled roughly (tight cornering at full throttle) so thus far I have felt no need to stuff it with foam material. I have read that  liquid rubber might solve the problem of the leaking deck joint. Apparently this stuff can also be removed easily so I will give it a try. I fix the deck by means of screws and I have increased the number and altered the position of the original screw holes. Since this has not prevented leakage neodymium magnets might well be a better alternative (this isn't likely to result in a watertight joint either).

Regards,

Arjan

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2016, 10:40:52 am »

I use that self-adhesive foam tape around edges to stop water getting in - it's the stuff that goes around the underside of stainless steel sink when fitted into a worktop. It's about 3x thicker than door draught excluder foam tape.

I also fit bulkheads inside the hull to control the flow of any water that gets in and fill spare areas with polystyrene beads (from an old beanbag) make sticky with waterproof PVA to make a formable floatation blocks - should the worst happen, it will stay afloat.

Just an observation, from the photos, it looks like the weight of the boat is slightly too far forward preventing it getting properly up onto the plane.

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2016, 11:00:27 am »

Most of the weight in my conversation is sat in the rear I/e battery. During my sea trials before painting it performed very well. I changed my props this made such a difference used a 11.1 volt lipo driving 3 m f a  385 motors. When time allows will take some pictures on the water.

Stan.

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2016, 12:48:18 pm »

Hi Arian if you look at my post 're conversation you will see I have fixed the deck down using magnets also parts of the cabin area.

Stan

Arjan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2016, 02:47:43 pm »

Thanks for your response gentlemen.

Plastic:

I will check my local DIY store for suitable self-adhesive foam tape/strips. You may well be right about the weight distribution, perhaps I should move the Lipo farther to the rear (no problem, I used Velcro strips to fix it).

Stan:

I noticed you used magnets. What size are the props you have installed now ? Mine are Raboesch props with a diameter of 2.5 cm. I have 3 mm shafts with M3 threads at the end, this limits any upgrades (2.5 cm is the biggest diameter for M3 props). I tried fitting M4 props using Teflon tape but this didn't work, any suggestions to mount M4 props on  M3 shafts ?

Regards,

Arjan

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2016, 02:26:55 pm »

Hi Arjan 25mm props fitted on my model 2mm inner shafts. I think this supplier can supply them to suit 3mm shafts. What voltage are running on? Prop suppliers details below

Contact details   simonhiggins181@btinternet.com

Hope this helps.

Stan

Arjan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2016, 05:28:35 pm »

Thanks Stan. I run the motors on a single 2 S (7.4V) 20-30 C lipo. I tried hard to hide the various deck screws and I also tried to hide the receiver switch. I apologize for the filth, dust and cobwebs .

Regards,

Arjan

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 21 queries.