Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Are model boaters Cheapskaters  (Read 7155 times)

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
Are model boaters Cheapskaters
« on: October 13, 2016, 06:19:48 pm »

just after reading some of the topics and all of the whining going on about how much things cost and things not working properly when still in the experimenting stage and not speaking to suppliers before complaining on open forums - and then off they go over to Hong Kong and other countries looking for the cheapest deal that they can get - and when it all goes wrong - oh the moans :-)

The reason I am thinking this I have a friend, who has just spent, without batting an eyelid £8 grand on an  EWS engine plus another £6 grand on further electronics modifications digital I think - he isn't rich, he just enjoys his hobby - he says if he wants good reliable stuff he pays for it - like the rest of his friends  who do model rail hobby.   Its got me thinking hahah I think model boaters may fall into the category of being some of the tightest bunch :-)

John
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
  • I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me
Re: Are model boaters Cheapskaters
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 06:37:47 pm »

- he isn't rich,
John

Really - £14k on a single model ! - Who are you kidding!

C-3PO
I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 06:51:00 pm »

Yes, they squeak when they walk  O0  BTW way you have a PM, local knowledge request.
..well can you land on this?

Crossie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2016, 06:57:09 pm »

Wow! £14,000 for a couple of model items is serious money in my language whether train, plane or boat, his railway set-up must have cost many times that then, and even if it may be used for many years to come it is more than 10 years hobby spend to me and I consider myself pretty well off - no mortgage/HP/card debt etc.

I think though that there is one fundamental difference between these two particular hobbies, where apart from radio, motors and so on just about anything e.g, fittings, props, shafts, rudders can be made to greater or lesser degrees of perfection by not all, but very many boat modellers, and I very much doubt that many railway enthusiasts have the engineering facilities to make train wheels, cylinders and linkages and all the very many turned items which apart from any sheet metal, constitute the locomotive or rolling stock. Similarly some branches of aeromodelling such as gas turbine/ turboprop models are solely for those with lots of cash(or credit!) and a mere handful of highly skilled machinists.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2016, 07:04:29 pm »

:-)  here's a pic of the engine - he also bought track and other bits and pieces to go with it - but, like I say, he isn't rich and doesn't whine on about stuff when it goes wrong and he doesn't go looking for the cheapest of stuff.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2016, 07:17:50 pm »

The appropriate description having laid out 14K on a hobby is "not rich now".
I took up boats as a way of spending time without spending too much money that my family thought should go on stuff like food, clothes, mortgage.  But yes, cheapskates covers many of us, some by choice, some because that's the way that it is.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2016, 07:20:37 pm »

At smaller scales I think railway modellers can be just as tight as boat. But as with boats when the sizes get larger so do the prices.

That said the loco above looks like #1 which I'd expect to be maybe £1k-£3 depending on make, so £8k does seem a lot if it's just an electric job.
OTOH if it has a real multi-cylinder i/c engine in it then I can well believe the tag.

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2016, 07:22:31 pm »

£14k on a model strikes me as someone who knows nothing about anything - and is unbable to spot when people are taking the urine.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2016, 07:24:55 pm »

14K ?

Could have got a new one for that  O0

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

inertia

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2016, 07:30:34 pm »

John
While I agree with you completely I have to remind you that it was in North Shields that I was challenged to haggle over the price of a 380 motor mount (list price £1.50).  Only a Sand-Dancer would think there was any mileage in trying that!
It's probably all down to age and disposable income i.e. too much of one and not enough of the other. My opinion of buying the cheapest possible items from suppliers halfway round the world is too well-known to bear repeating here.
Dave M

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2016, 07:31:32 pm »

just been having a look round on the web to see how much the aircraft people spend on their models - cos - I know some their jet engines aren't cheap and when it all goes wrong for them - they end up putting their mess in a binbag and they do have something to whinge about but instead I got sidetracked - anybody fancy purchasing a jet engine - you want to see the model I am going to put this in - and will need a canny ACTion speed controller for this one Dave :-) and that wont come from Hong Kong hahaha

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROLLS-ROYCE-PEGASUS-105-JET-TURBINE-ENGINE-HARRIER-/302104455254

inertia

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2016, 08:02:41 pm »

John
Get back on your medication...NOW!!!
DM

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2016, 08:13:05 pm »

To give a general answer the question I would have to say yes they are I'm afraid.

LB

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2016, 08:43:34 pm »

John, I hope that if there was an emotican with a 'tongue in cheek' you would have used it! All I can say is - how can you compare your (non!) rich friend with a genuine modeller and typical member of Mayhem who only wishes value for his money and good service? 

Crossie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2016, 09:44:41 pm »

While reading through this thread I remembered that one of my now adult nephews was a model train hobbyist years ago- -may still be possibly- - though his setup was HO gauge,  so I've spent a little ''Googletime'' reading about N gauge which although a bigger scale is still only 32mm track, so not exactly large and the most expensive locomotive that I found listed anywhere was only a couple of £c and definitely not £k.  A lot less zeros after the £. so there must be something really special about the loco pictured ,and how much track, a km maybe?
 £14,000 would buy a lot of boats, hmmmm.... 3 Engle Type viic's , a couple of Deans Dreadnought, Zulu, Model Slipway Assurance , Trent lifeboat ooh and a few Coasters and stuff. Better leave a couple of grand to hire some builders, I won't have enough time %%

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2016, 10:44:42 pm »

John, what scale/gauge is that loco? It looks quite large from the photo.

Peter.

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2016, 10:47:41 pm »

While reading through this thread I remembered that one of my now adult nephews was a model train hobbyist years ago- -may still be possibly- - though his setup was HO gauge,  so I've spent a little ''Googletime'' reading about N gauge which although a bigger scale is still only 32mm track, so not exactly large and the most expensive locomotive that I found listed anywhere was only a couple of £c and definitely not £k.  A lot less zeros after the £. so there must be something really special about the loco pictured ,and how much track, a km maybe?
N gauge is smaller (about half) than H0 - 9mm track. 32mm track goes with Gauge 1 (aka #1) or G-scale depending on the prototype. There are plenty of LGB (G Scale) locos well into 4-figure money.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2016, 10:48:59 pm »

'N' gauge is about 9mm, I think you mean 'G' gauge which uses 32mm wide track.

I think, many hobbyists of all flavours are 'tight'. But this might be a response to it being funded by disposable income. As mentioned, may of us have a very finite budget and we must make it work as hard as possible.

I will not buy far east product as many of my friends have had fun with magic grey smoke and erratic behaviour from ESCs and receivers so, while I accept that many of the components that our indigenous companies use come from the Far east, I hope they test a batch of them first to make sure they are not faulty.

Having had experience with the larger gauges of live steam and similar locos at my old modelengineer club, the better ones will cost many thousands of pounds. I think that an IC engine for such a model especially a multi cylinder one would be a very costly asset.
Pond weed is your enemy

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2016, 10:59:56 pm »

I do get the impression that a number of people do chase the lowest prices even when they can afford better but a bargain is not always a bargain. I like to decide what I want and then get the best deal on that and am willing to pay a bit more to get exactly what I want or to support the UK retail trade.

As our wise sage Dave Milbourn never tires of reminding us, value for money doesn't always mean the cheapest price. I buy my petrol from my independent local village filling station. It costs me an extra 1p or so per litre over Tesco prices but I get a branded product and support a local business. If they closed then my nearest alternative is around 5 miles away.

Colin

Crossie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2016, 11:39:46 pm »

N gauge is smaller (about half) than H0 - 9mm track. 32mm track goes with Gauge 1 (aka #1) or G-scale depending on the prototype. There are plenty of LGB (G Scale) locos well into 4-figure money.

Thanks for putting me straight Plague! I certainly got my railway alphabet mixed up there and I'm lost as to why I thought N gauge , so time for a snack of Humble Pie. Personally I've only ever had two model trains, in the 1950's a Triang (00 possibly?) as a child and a 5" Simplex live steam that I built as an adult which only cost a few £100's to build though that was 20 odd years ago.

Chris57

• Full Mayhemer
  • Fishers Green mbc
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2016, 12:26:16 am »

Is this question of  cheapskateness more a question of cost and available funds? Or perceptions?

By this I mean, if you have a smaller budget, would that point you towards model boats as being a potentially cheaper option when compared to planes , helecopters, cars or giros, which all can ( and therefore will) fall out of the sky with expensive consequences.?

I believe this is why the retail industry ( shops) more and more cater for the air side of the r/c hobby, because of the more lucrative repair and upgrade market associated with it. Boats, whilst sometimes expensive up front as a kit of bits, has less scope for repair and upgrades, so no on going cash cow for the shops.

So boaters are not seen to spend money every weekend in the model shop , and are thus perceived to be 'tight' and cheapskates . Whereas in fact we are merely being prudent. Build it once, build it right, don't drop it, ( the only way it can fall out of the sky) no more to spend.

This argument does accept there will be exceptions within the boating community, fast racers will get hurt at speed, steam propulsion is an expensive side of the hobby etc.

Just some late night rambling thoughts!

Chris

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2016, 02:45:27 am »

Now Plague says......."There are plenty of LGB...."

In OZ....we may or may not hold a plebiscite on same sex marriage  %)........there is certainly plenty of talk about LGB, however I suspect it may have a different meaning to that suggested here....the scale of model train's?  {-)

Mind you ...we had a National Census conducted a few weeks back....they could have saved $27M if they asked the same question then

However I do apologise to the Rule maker DM........if I am getting a little away from the question of...'are model makers tight a**ed individuals?' {-)

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2016, 06:20:43 am »

For those that remember, I was speaking to John of Model Power many years ago at Warwick. He said of all the shows HD did, boat shows were the worst. He said model cars and flyers along with the helicopter peeps just went yo his stall, asked for the volt and amp battery and the type they wanted and handed over the cash. At model boat shows they came  up, asked the same criteria, then asked for a discount!
Now remember,  all the other disciplines use their batteries heavily, where as boaters unless they were fast electric users, tend not to drain the batteries to much after a couple of hours sailing
So are model boaters tight......
You bet we are!

As a side note.......how many of you bought the blue 50 amp esc's about 8 years ago for £4.
Then got the 100 amp versions that contained magic smoke!
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2016, 07:28:39 am »

I'm sorry but spending 14grand not on a hobby but just two pieces that go to make a hobby is definitely the province of somebody who has lots of cash. The average person couldn't afford to do it -- Hell I'd even blanch and think twice about spending that sort of money on a car!

It does open another question though, How much has the rest of his railway cost??? I'd hazard a guess at it being more than the cost of a semi detached home!

Hellboy Paul

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2016, 07:38:42 am »

John, what scale/gauge is that loco? It looks quite large from the photo.

Looks like a 7 1/4" gauge class 66 loco, if it is the one I think it is it's a kit is produced by Abbots Model Engineering. The basic 4 motor kit starts at £4000 and goes up from there, so depending on what you want to add £14000 is not unreasonable....

Paul...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 23 queries.