Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Are model boaters Cheapskaters  (Read 7158 times)

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Are model boaters Cheapskaters
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2016, 08:59:14 am »

Hi all, an interesting debate.  I think a point for consideration is where we come from, technically that is. 
Many boaters make their models from a much lower start point, choosing a plan and assembling the where withall to create a model.  Model railway devotees  have the choice of buying an engine / carriage, etc  or admiring it from afar.

Take the point mentioned about batteries.  I remember some years ago asking if the (well known) trader had any bargains, he showed me some 9.6 volt 1.6Ahr batteries, nobody wanted at less than half the going rate.
I bought a pair and now I had a power supply I used the apporopriate motors and esc and battery charger (adjusted to suit) for this model. (Still going strong).  It saved some money to fund something else on the model.

I think a boater sees the component parts and decides what he/she wants to pay for and what he/she is capable of making, time = money.
Many of us are pleased that we can re cycle common and household items into parts of a model.

My current 'game' is to build a semiscale model only using accumulated items that are already in my workshop.   (See my Nordfjord else where on this site).  I have a second model also  nearly finished  and 'money neutral'.

I am also constructing a small model railway in the workshop but this is what I call 'self funding'  If I want a capitol item I sell something I am not using.  If my son sees a 'bargain' on ebay and wins it and sends it to me who am I to refuse?
It is difficult to construct an "OO" gauge loco from everyday items, if not impossible so you have to join that hobby with deeper pockets.
The ability to machine parts for oneself is a dieing art so we are dependent on others and there are now many kitchen industries to cater for this.

For example if you are building a large live steam loco then having the frames laser cut is a no-brainer, it is cheaper less effort and more accurate in a place where you need accuracy.

So I would say 'no' we are not cheapskates, just a bit more capable!

regards Roy
(also Secretary of a Model engineering society)

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2016, 01:38:03 pm »

YES....no...sometimes!

It is nice to see a railway modeller who isn't one.....surely an exception to the rule O0
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2016, 02:10:10 pm »

I would guess that the RC cars & planes / drones are mainly bought by 'younger' enthusiasts who are probably less worldly wise and have a now, now, now - must buy/have compulsion.

Most boaters that I have met are more 'mature' and so are happy to wait things out and to look for a proper price rather than just throw money at things.

Also, I look at some battleships that are absolutely covered in fittings - guns, railings, bollards, hatches, lifeboats, radars, winches, cranes, aircraft,   etc. and then you see sellers wanting £5 each and upwards for those fittings and you quickly do the maths - it adds up to be crazy expensive to get the ship on the water unless you search out bargains or learn to make your own fittings.

Railway modellers seem to be different - almost everything in their layouts is off the shelf - they seem to just accept the constant emptying of their wallets.

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2016, 03:45:10 pm »

I completely agree Plastic. Spending cash like that for a train-set is not a hobby - period! >:-o More like Harry Enfield's character in a model shop.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2016, 04:19:18 pm »

I completely agree Plastic. Spending cash like that for a train-set is not a hobby - period! >:-o More like Harry Enfield's character in a model shop.

so basically what you are saying is those folk who build these large scale models and literally spend thousands on the castings etc., are bonkers and its not really a hobby with them ... if you wish to go to the other end of the scale; in the modelling field - I have just been looking at Warhammer stuff and look at some of the prices of their kits/bits and pieces and that has a huge following by young kids up to adults.

The comment with regard to railway modellers seem to be different - mostly everything comes off the shelf - not correct, you need to look at the railway hobby - there are lots of things scratch built from plans - just look at the buildings etc. and model engines - if you think we have a bad case of rivet counters in the model boating fraternity - have a look at some of the YouTube videos about model rail layouts etc.

I sat and watched a bloke completely reconstruct a Dapol kit cos it wasn't quite in scale.
john
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2016, 04:45:07 pm »

so basically what you are saying is those folk who build these large scale models and literally spend thousands on the castings etc., are bonkers and its not really a hobby with them ... if you wish to go to the other end of the scale; in the modelling field - I have just been looking at Warhammer stuff and look at some of the prices of their kits/bits and pieces and that has a huge following by young kids up to adults.

The comment with regard to railway modellers seem to be different - mostly everything comes off the shelf - not correct, you need to look at the railway hobby - there are lots of things scratch built from plans - just look at the buildings etc. and model engines - if you think we have a bad case of rivet counters in the model boating fraternity - have a look at some of the YouTube videos about model rail layouts etc.

I sat and watched a bloke completely reconstruct a Dapol kit cos it wasn't quite in scale.
john

I would disagree with you about railway modellers - if you go to any show or see layouts at club displays, I would estimate 95% of the bits you see are off the shelf. There is always a hard-core of modellers who build everything from scratch - but most railway stuff is off the shelf - although 'some assembly required' for the buildings and roling stock models.

The main part that the modellers 'build' is the base-board landscape - but most of these are 2-dimensional flat 'shunting yards'.
The most notable fashion that I have seen emerging with railways is 'how slow can you go!' - electronic speed controllers allowing them to take 2 hours to move 10 feet. Exactly following their timetables.....

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2016, 05:20:08 pm »

have a look at this one - scratch built for Peter Waterman - I know he does have a healthy bank balance like :-) 

when I have been to Model Engineering displays - some of the layouts have been built from plans etc. even down to the track - if you have a look at PECO website some of their stuff can be used for scratch building.  I think it gives you a better idea/assessment of what some people do with regard to scratch building :-)

John

https://blog.the-saleroom.com/coming-up-at-auction/model-railway-fans-chuffed-chance-buy-pete-waterman-collection/
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2016, 05:31:03 pm »

have a look at this one - scratch built for Peter Waterman - I know he does have a healthy bank balance like :-) 

when I have been to Model Engineering displays - some of the layouts have been built from plans etc. even down to the track - if you have a look at PECO website some of their stuff can be used for scratch building.  I think it gives you a better idea/assessment of what some people do with regard to scratch building :-)

John

https://blog.the-saleroom.com/coming-up-at-auction/model-railway-fans-chuffed-chance-buy-pete-waterman-collection/

Doesn't he normally work in 1:1 scale?

tica

• Full Mayhemer
    • Skalamodelskibe
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2016, 06:12:18 pm »

For my part it's a Yes and a No

For my expendables boats (swap boats, jet boats and plastic fantastic) I will always use the cheap HK and EBAY items, this including the orange RX combined with a DX7 Spectrum TX.

So radio wise I'll use a quality brand, I have 3 Spektrum and 2 Graupner HoTT TX's. Unfortunately the Grupner RX is way to expensive compared to what the can provide 

In my Drumbeat of Devon I use a quality Leadgell cell and had 2 Graupner Navy R30 ESC that worked well (one did how ever release the magic grey smoke the second time I used it  <*< ) and they both burned out when she did the dive to the bottom last year  <:( They will be replaced by a dual ESC during this winter as a test.

I have experienced that some of the Grupner Navy ESC's are not the money worth, some of my usurers on my Danish forum have had problems with them as they did become very hot without load and burned out, I tested some of them and found that they actually had a idle load of 250mAh and that's expensive ESC's. 

So I use a bit of every thing and I'm prepared to pay good money for a superb model, but most of them are found out side Denmark and the pick up cost is ruining that.
My postings are only reflecting my own opinion and should not be read as the holy grail of truth :-)

inertia

« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2016, 07:17:42 pm »

Tica
As there is, to my knowledge, only one 'dual ESC' on the market (ACTion P94) I checked the price for posting one to Denmark. With insurance it's a little less than 10 Euro.
(Three hearty cheers for "Brexit" and the plummeting pound.)
PM me if you want further details.
DM

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2016, 07:51:30 pm »

I sat and watched a bloke completely reconstruct a Dapol kit cos it wasn't quite in scale.john

I was not referring to railway modellers in general at all, but as the OP is about the purchase of a particular train, I was referring to the purchaser of an extremely expensive, ready-built locomotive (which I doubt most railway types would ever build) and others who buy them as, in my opinion hardly credible hobbyists. It may depend on your definition of a hobby, but at least us boaters (or the majority of us)who  build our vessels and use our hands and minds on the finished object have a true hobby, not the wherewithal to buy the completely finished object. If you consider buying an object and simply owning it is a 'hobby' then fair enough.  This is my humble opinion, and you're implying that I thought some 'bonkers' is, well, ................ bonkers! 

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2016, 10:51:23 pm »

The first definition of "hobby" I found is: an activity done regularly in one's leisure time for pleasure.
(That matches what my understanding of the term has always been)

So buying expensive toys is just as valid a hobby as watching TV.
Is the man buying the expensive loco a modeller? I don't know - I don't class buying RTR things as modelling but he may also make small replicas of things in which case he is a modeller who also has another expensive hobby.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 22 queries.