Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Are you a good DIYer?  (Read 2795 times)

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
Are you a good DIYer?
« on: October 14, 2016, 08:10:17 pm »

Have been wondering if good modellers tend to be good at DIY as well?

I'm guessing that those who have good skills in model boat building tend to be pretty handy at full size projects.

If it is the case I'm hoping that the skills transfer the other way as well. I'm pretty good and experienced at DIY but am yet to build my first model boat.
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
Re: Are you a good DIYer?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 08:15:01 pm »

I have built a Microwave plinth, a book shelf and am in the throes of designing a double bed. The key In my opinion is to be able to plan ahead.

I can slowly and methodically but not always on my feet so to speak  :((
Pond weed is your enemy

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 08:52:04 pm »

I'm doing a little bit of diy - converting a 2-bed bungalow into a 5-bed chalet.

I'll tackle anything except plastering - never felt the need to spend my lifetime stood in the naughty corner facing the wall.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 09:37:40 pm »

This year I have installed 6 double glazed windows in upvc removing the timber ones, 4 more to do and the whole house is done. I did the doors a couple of years ago. All the windows are the same size so no drama there. Also laid a new gas pipe into the house (bottled gas) and already planned for the spring installing a oil fired combi boiler

I'll diy anything except like above plastering.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2016, 09:47:58 pm »

As a mature aged student have tackled most home tasks.......all OK except electricity :o

Installed exhaust fans in parallel with the light switches in the loo, ensuite & bathroom......OK?...no......the fan in the bathroom slowly rotated with the switch turned off

Turn the light switch on and beauty behold lots of lux or lumens are emitted from the globe  :-)) by the fan stops  {-)

Too complicated...I call an electrician who miraculously has it working properly after 2 minutes  :-X

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2016, 09:53:03 pm »

As a mature aged student have tackled most home tasks.......all OK except electricity :o

Installed exhaust fans in parallel with the light switches in the loo, ensuite & bathroom......OK?...no......the fan in the bathroom slowly rotated with the switch turned off

Turn the light switch on and beauty behold lots of lux or lumens are emitted from the globe  :-)) by the fan stops  {-)

Too complicated...I call an electrician who miraculously has it working properly after 2 minutes  :-X

Derek

This room has too much electricity!

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2016, 12:33:18 am »

Being modest, definitely yes.

Avoid 240V electrical lighting, tendency to be lethal.
Power points, AKA general purpose outlets are no problem but lighting is different. Derek's post above is a good example.

Might I suggest, that the ability, (existing or learnt) to be able to effectively use hand tools, transitions to model boating/modelling in general, not your DIY ability.

Plastering teaches sanding and finishing skills so give it a go.
Gunna build those other boats one day.

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2016, 01:16:40 am »

Re electricery.
Rule 1: turn off at the switch
Rule 2: turn off at the mains
Rule 0: leave well alone unless you know what you are doing

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2016, 09:00:31 am »

Derek
He probably figured out that the fan should be in parallel with the lights, not the switch. 
Each to his own.  One day, I might find out how to draw a straight line where I really want it and be able to cut along it.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2016, 01:27:04 pm »

I have just started to dabble with furniture and cabinet making.
The biggest problem is sourcing timber. There is a big lumber yard here, but it is really only supplying construction companies and furniture factories.
Finishing used to be a nightmare as nearly all product was PU for flooring and spray guns. But now I have found a source of OSMO Polyx, brilliant stuff. My work isn't great, but it is getting better.

The most recent projects are the desk and stool, and then the other shelving to go around it. This allows the desk and stool to be moved when desired.
The last item is the cabinet to hold all of my wife's Buddha paraphernalia.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2016, 03:52:00 pm »

You have worked very hard! That is a lot of furniture.
Pond weed is your enemy

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2016, 05:30:51 pm »

Thanks for the replies - unsurprisingly there is certainly some very competent DIYers on here.

For my part I've installed a new kitchen, albeit some years ago, including the floor and wall tiling, electrics and plumbing. Refitted the utility/toilet, again with the tiling and the wc and wash basin and moved the door over to allow installation of a radiator.

Replaced most of the skirting board and architraves throughout. Have done some plaster patching but any more is for the professionals!

Outside I've built a quite large area of  decking along with guarding to two sides which I've just sanded down and given a couple of coats of decking oil ready for the winter.

Some of these jobs I never want to do again, not helped by getting older!

I'm itching to have a go at building a boat but have a bedroom to do first before my youngest son gets back in early December. This includes replacing some floor boards damaged when I had the heating replaced, skirting boards, architraves etc. and then redecoration.

What I am able to though, boat wise,  is to produce the drawings (upscaling) for the Fairey Swordfish. That is something I am well able to do as I was an architectural technician and building surveyor etc. and over the years have produced hundreds of drawings, both on the drawing board and latterly on the computer.

I'm really enjoying doing the model boat drawings.

Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

inertia

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2016, 05:47:25 pm »

Chris
I always thought the Fairey Swordfish was an aeroplane (the original TSR2)? Is there perchance a boat with the same name? Which page of The Big Book   ok2 is it on?
I'm allegedly a good DIYer. Every time I ask Liz to do something for me she says "Why not be a good boy and do it yourself...."   %)

Dave M

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2016, 05:56:50 pm »

Me? I'm fricking great at it  :}

But now the law in the UK has been clamped around a lot of it, it's becoming more and more just the small or simple stuff.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2016, 07:38:18 pm »

Chris
I always thought the Fairey Swordfish was an aeroplane (the original TSR2)? Is there perchance a boat with the same name? Which page of The Big Book   ok2 is it on?
I'm allegedly a good DIYer. Every time I ask Liz to do something for me she says "Why not be a good boy and do it yourself...."   %)

Dave M

Doh! Thanks for pointing that out Dave!

I've always been careful not to fall into that trap and have now failed miserably.

Could have been the predictive text on my tablet though!  %)

Chris
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 23 queries.