Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Regional accents down under  (Read 3259 times)

inertia

Regional accents down under
« on: October 20, 2016, 11:22:12 pm »

Liz just asked me if there are regional variations in the Australian accent. I have no idea, but there are many members from all over Oz here.
Do they and, if so, how would a Pom tell which was which? Are there any particular words which give away where the speaker is from?
DM

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Regional accents down under
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 11:48:01 pm »

Hullo Liz.....how are those watercress sangers?  :D...opps sorry sandwiches

As Dave understands I am from the eastern [Sydney] side of OZ [first fleet convict area].......the greatest difference I suggest is in pronunciation

For us, words such as plant, Grant are good examples

Adelaide [South Australia] was a social experiment by the British and populated by free persons and even after a few hundred years still tend to use the Queens English........accordingly these folk say pllarnt and Graant... {-)

The size of the humble beer glass is another quazi fact....a schooner in NSW is 375 ml, a schooner in South OZ is about the size of a 200 ml Vegemite glass...so when in Adelaide I would be easily identified as an outsider when enquiring about ordering a beer :-X

Taxi drivers in both Sydney [Lebanese] and Adelaide [Indian] are usually gentleman with very dark skin.....universally they do not seem to know the name of any street even just around the corner {-)....they also have distinctive speech.....

We do have quite a few OZ MBM members in residence, BB & Old Shrimper are from up north, Peter below the border, a few 'Melbourianians' down south.... I am sure a number will respond with alternate thoughts

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats a hole in the water you pour money into!!!
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 02:23:20 am »

Hi Mate

I am south of Australia in Hobart, Tassie!!!
Wooden Boats on in February, great show.

Canabus

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 02:31:28 am »

SWMBO advises that I am from down south, which I are.
How does she know because of the way I speek.

Myself, don't notice any "accent" as such but there are differences in use/meaning of words, as Derek has mentioned.

Togs V swimmers.
Port V suitcase
chest drawers V lowboy.
Dinner V tea

However inter breeding between states and with Pommie migrants has now confused it all.

The ones who really stand out in any state are our Kiwi Cousins who still sound like Poms.
Gunna build those other boats one day.

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 05:11:06 am »

We are past the end of the 'Cranburn' (Cranbourne) line.  >>:-( >>:-( and live in Melburn <:( 

inertia

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2016, 09:31:45 am »

It's the accent, not the customs or the words themselves. 'Grarnt' and 'grant' is a good example of variations in the Australian accent while the size of beer glasses or the speech of immigrant taxi drivers isn't.
I know you can easily tell an Aussie from a Kiwi because of the way the Kiwis pronounce words like sent and gets (as sint and gits), and you can tell a Canadian from an American because if you call a Canadian an American he'll usually be insulted.
If you Aussies really can't tell a Kiwi accent from a Pommy one then which part of England are you thinking of, because I can't think of anywhere between Lands End and Berwick-upon-Tweed that folk sound anything like those from Wellington or Christchurch?
I did once hear an academic on the radio suggest that the Aussie accent itself originated from Suffolk, because a couple of hundred years ago the magistrates there were particularly fond of sentencing any minor miscreant to being transported rather than spending a day in the village stocks. He then began a sentence in a broad Suffolk accent and gradually "morphed" it into pure Strine - it was impressive and very convincing.
So if I were listening to two Aussies - say, one from Cairns and one from Melbourne - reading the same sentence then would it be easy for me to spot which was which? If so, which sort of words would give it away?
DM

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2016, 07:16:02 pm »

So if I were listening to two Aussies - say, one from Cairns and one from Melbourne - reading the same sentence then would it be easy for me to spot which was which? If so, which sort of words would give it away?
DM
"Reading".  That might be the problem?
Is the Oz habit of having a slight rising inflexion to the end of a sentence that makes statements sound like questions universal?
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

lakesidebob

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2016, 07:36:12 pm »

Lived in Adelaide in the early 70's, and i have a Brummie accent,the communication was very interesting indeed,but had some great laughs with the Aussies....

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2016, 07:55:35 pm »

My friend and I used to make day trips around the country and I remember that in one town they definitly had an australian twang to their accent. I cannot remember where it was but it was striking! I don't think it was in Suffolk but I will ask my friend if he remembers where the town was.

This does not help Mrs Inertia one bit sorry  :((
Pond weed is your enemy

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2016, 10:58:51 pm »

Has she tried googling Aussie slang?
https://thingsaussieslike.wordpress.com/speaking-aussie-style-2/ is one for Americans going to Sydney.
With all the migrants that have arrived over the years, the true Aussie accent has almost disappeared.
It can sometimes be heard in outback Queensland.
Word variations between states would take up considerable space and probably be out of date by the time you read it.  %%

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2016, 01:12:31 am »

Thanks BrianB6................I think your link was written by an American  :embarrassed: American......not an ex-pat Australian living in the land of the free.....

Rack = Cocaine {“They’re in the loo racking up again” } ?? ...I must admit not ever hearing the term  ......

Pohm = {Also: Pom; Pommie; Pommy; Pohmmy; Pohmmie}...this is a combination of some Yank taking th p*ss ....yes, what a load of crock :o...we only know this to be something about Ohms Law.......

Just digressing for Ms Lizzie........she could consider the "WPM Index"....essentially this is the Australian Standard AS 275B for financial words and phrases per minute which of course is based upon a Standard Text over the given minute

North Queenslanders often rate ~~ 32 WPM
Brisbineites.............................~~ 36 WPM
Northen NSWelshies................ ~~ 49 WPM
Sydneites................................~~ 51 WPM
Melbournites........................... ~~ 53 WPM

Tasweigiens.............................~~ 38 WPM........they are too busy eating apples {-)

So from the above, it is clear to see that the Northanger's are a far more relaxed lot of folk.............probably all that XXXX Beer O0

Adelaideanians don't actually rate as the cannot pronounce some of the words in the Australian Standard AS 275B listings

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2016, 03:46:07 am »

Our grankids have not used 'Maccas' for some years.  %)
'Muckies' for a burger and 'Yuckies' for the chicken place.
Our youngest daughter has published her first YA novel, one of a series of 4.  I have had to produce a glossery for our relatives overseas.
To long to put on here.  :P

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2016, 06:42:26 am »

Tried to put the glossary on here but it did not work as intended  >:-o

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2016, 05:07:17 pm »

When my parents first moved to Jersey in the late 60s I was mystified in St Helier, thinking 'That's Strine, no it isn't, it's Siff Ifrican'. But I soon learned to wait for the 'eh' at the end of a sentence to identify a Jerseyman.
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.

inertia

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2016, 07:32:27 pm »

That's more what I mean, Jonty. It's not the words I'm interested in as much as the different ways they are pronounced.
For example, a Brummy trying to say 'paraffin' always creases me up, while the Geordie version of 'floating voter' is more like 'floortin vorter". "Ah luvvit, hinny".
Still, none are quite as perverse as our long-rejected colonials over the pond. Just this week I've heard:
"I gaahdid over th'Innerned"
"You gadda sodder wun waah t' th'uther waah"...
And who is "Danuld Trurmp"?

(Aside - Isn't Trump a wonderful name for a windbag? You couldn't invent it, could you?)

Note for Moderator: Other Presidential candidates are available. This I know already.

DM

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2016, 09:40:49 pm »

It's as bad as Black Country lingo, I had the pleasure of working with a gang of guys from Cosley.
Every mourning when they arrived they would ask, ow am yer am  Youm alroit
Nearly as understanderble as our, ow at, at owrait greeting. One little gem they left me with was,
You 5 have been 4 guddins you 3 bin both together bay I.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 23 queries.