Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: How many is enough?  (Read 6687 times)

Ron Rees

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: How many is enough?
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2016, 07:21:21 pm »

Thanks Ballastanksian,

She used to love poor old grandad, but that was when she was about 7, now she's 16 and turning into the psyco, gothic moo from hell.
I'm sure she'll grow up nice one day and talk to me sometimes again.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2016, 08:47:41 pm »

Had to smile reading this thread.

I have 5 motorbikes (4 Triumphs of various ages) and a Lambretta scooter. I live in Warwick but the scooter is being looked after by a friend in Cornwall! :)

I must admit I've spent a lot of money on various extras for one of the bikes e.g. 5 seats and some parts had to be smuggled in under the cover of darkness etc!

Model boats are proving to be far cheaper though I was slightly hesitant at buying a second one quite soon after the first one.

Building one is next on the agenda but before then I've got to build up the necessary collection of tools etc! 
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

Ship Worm

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2016, 10:23:00 am »

Hi Chris
You need to be very careful at this point. Justification is the answer. Any extra tools are 'obviously' needed for household repairs, refurbishments, decorating, storage (the storage part being shelving for paint, wood, etc. no need to elaborate on what kind). NEVER refer to as necessary for anything to do with model boats.
Restyling the garage for your boat building comes under the category of 'a clear out'
Similarly with the loft.
The garden shed is always a good place (unless of course SWMBO is a keen gardener, in which case maybe the answer is another shed)
Spare bedrooms can often be referred to as 'The Office'. Stick an old computer in there which doesn't matter if it gets covered in dust to provide the justification of spending so much time there.
In reality this only delays the inevitable - SWMBO will twig it sooner or later, so you will need a slush fund scaled from a new dress/handbag/shoes to holiday/new car/house level depending upon how many models you have by the time she realises the scale of the 'new' hobby.
I may be getting older - but I refuse to grow up!

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2016, 05:12:47 pm »

as of this weekend, add another 2 yachts and 2 tugs to my list! allfor £0
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2016, 10:21:06 am »

Hi Ship Worm - some good pointers there.  :-))

Trouble is I'm nearly coming to the end of my DIY tasks (currently working in a bedroom) and so my need for additional tools is somewhat limited!

A spare bedroom is my planned workroom.

One of the bikes is going next year anyway so brownie points will be earned.

My wife is pretty good in all seriousness and has only ever pulled a face when I have bought new cars without telling her beforehand. I did have to work on her over one or two of the bikes though.  :-)
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2016, 11:52:11 am »

I have always found it easier to ask for forgiveness rather than permission.

A box of chocs, bunch of flowers or other sort of prezzie presented just before confession helps as well.
Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2016, 12:26:45 pm »

Yes.......the following were instilled to me  <*< <*< when I joined our Australian Department of Defence  O0

"always easier to ask for forgiveness rather than permission", and "you can only be found guilty if you get caught"

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 21 queries.