Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ww1 dio help  (Read 2458 times)

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Ww1 dio help
« on: October 26, 2016, 08:19:37 pm »

Hi all as it was my birthday today my son bought me these.

He's head of history and casually dropped into the conversation that he was hoping they would be used in a commissioned dio for his school. The dimensions would be 4'×3' approx so will need more models, thing is he knows as much about modelling as I do about armour so I need a lot of help I have a 1/72 tiger moth could I use that in the same period, I'm pretty sure (without checking the stash not sure I have a glouster gladiator biplane in the stash also) not been an armour man the only tanks I have are a cheifton that's 1/35 and I'm pretty sure ww2 although I could use my forced perspective I used in the warspite gets a few scars dio) what other tanks and assorted vehicles would be used in a dio of this size, I have no idea at all, I will need to research the trenches and stuff, also can you tell from the markings on the tank where it was used, I think my son is thinking German trenches is the tank the tight markings for that and is the plane right also (blimey I can see this getting complicated)

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
Re: Ww1 dio help
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 08:41:25 pm »

Tiggy moth first flew 1931.
Bit later than WW1.

Ned

Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 09:18:37 pm »

Chieftain tank was post ww2 by a few years, so that ones out I'm afraid., and the G.Gladiator was post WW1, but pre WW2 as the famous trio of Gladiators Faith, Hope and Charity were the only air defence Malta G.C. had until they were able to reinforce with Spits and Hurricane's  months into the siege.

Jim.
life is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic!

bfgstew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 09:35:56 pm »

Not 100% sure but the tank was first used at the battle of the Somme, and is British.
Sopwith Camel and Fokkers mostly byplanes early part of war, triplanes bit later and monos near the end.
I would use a bit of artistic licence and not worry too much about historical accuracies!!!!!!
"Give me a ping Vasili. One ping only, please"

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 10:00:40 pm »

4' by 3' is 288*216 feet in scale.

...Pretty tiny, but a great basis for a WW1 frontline: at Vimy Ridge the frontlines were only about 90' apart. (The long axis of the board is a 'more typical low-end' distance for No-Man's-Land on the western front.)

I'd be tempted not to go for an attack dio: much of the time, after all, was spent hanging about, digging, passing the time. Detail attack and support and connecting trenches. The two planes can add interest, one chasing the other over the lines, both being pot-shotted at.

Your Mk1 tank, if used, places the dio after the autumn of 1916. Maybe have it broken down and abandoned (the most likely outcome) in some festering shell hole or other? Indeed, a WW1 diorama would seem to suggest emphasising the awfulness of the environment: broken ground, stumps of trees, pools of foul water in slimey shell holes, masses of wire, dead horses, broken carts, the lot.

Andy

Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2016, 10:18:47 pm »

Use only the models you have there... my head is all excited on this  %) %)
The Tiger Moth was a training aircraft from the 30's so forget it  :-))

Personally I would be looking at 2 dioramas, 1 would be of the trench system so you can see how they
were built with dug outs, firing steps, blocking wires to let the kids have a better idea of how it really was

the other perhaps a low flying Sopwith flying over the trenches and the german plane crashed into no mans land and the tank moving forward

Do you have Facebook?? if so search for Halton WW1 Trenches this would give you some ideas on how the trenches were laid out and built.
even better would be to contact them as they like giving tours, they are Based at RAF Halton where during WW1 the troops were trained prior to being sent to France on how to build the trench system.

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2016, 10:25:45 pm »

Thanks all for the replys and advice, many thanks.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2016, 10:35:08 pm »

Emhar do a number of WW1 tanks including the A7V Germany's first tank (less than 20 built and in a variety of styles detail wise that I can become veeeeery "xxxxx" about!!!!) Here is a link to Wonderland models that shows much of their range: https://www.wonderlandmodels.com/brands/emhar/

Trenches are surprisingly complex structures especially if you add in shell damage, modifications to include enemy trenches taken and joined into the defensive system, or hasty extensions to jojn large craters etc to the trenches by 'Sap'. But, knowing your skill with weathering and effects, you can blast this diorama into orbit in detail and feel. Whatever you do do tint the medium you make your earth/mud with before applying it so you don't spend the rest of your life painting out the pin pricks of white showing through!

Lots of wood and wattles were used (I was told that wriggly tin was not used later because it formed shards of slicing metal when fragmented by shell fire) Sandbags by the squillion (A friend of mine made thousands of them for a Bir hacheim terrain system by rolling sausages of putty and slicing into them at regular intervals as this is quicker than making them individually).

German trenches used concrete a lot in emplacements and bunkers.

I reckon you will do a great job Ken  :-))
Pond weed is your enemy

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2016, 11:01:58 pm »

Top idea, I'm a bit of a geek on this subject and I think you could recreate a period from late 1916 to April 1917 which is when the new Albatross fighters replaced the eindeckers in the German fighter squadrons which led to 'Bloody April' in 1917 the massacre of the RFC aircraft which forced the British to move quicker with the Sopwith Camel, SE5a, and Bristol F2A Fighters.
Interestingly the Sopwith Triplanes were mainly used by RNAS squadrons so you have a boat related subject too! :-))
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2016, 04:40:13 am »

Ok you have British and German infantry from 1914 to 15. after that the helmets  changed to metal ones. Sopworth trplane war ie 1916, fokker eiii is 1915 and the tank in 1916. So technically none of these should be on the same diorama.  But in the end only only purists care. GO ahead and do it with finesse. WHO cares what others say.
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2016, 04:44:25 am »

Also kpnuts. if you get the chance go to Hendon museum. They have a great section in WWI aircraft, which I have just been around. that took 2 hours alone and I was dragged out of their by my nephew.
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2016, 08:40:22 am »

Chieftain tank was post ww2 by a few years,
Jim.
Aye a good few years Jim we got ours late 60's

Jay

Ian K

• Full Mayhemer
  • In the workshop, going daft but happy!!
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2016, 07:00:13 pm »

Hi,

The MKiv male tanks first action was at the battle of Cambrai 20.11.1917. click the link below for details.

http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/battles/battles-of-the-western-front-in-france-and-flanders/the-cambrai-operations-1917-battle-of-cambrai/

They were used to proceed ahead of the infranty. using their 6 pounder and machine guns to clear the german trenches. The secondary objective was to crush and drag out the barbed wire defences. This would enable the supporting infantry to advance much easier. The MKiv male tanks were designed to work in tandem with the female variant, which was armed with machine guns only.

It depends how accurate you want to depict the scene, regarding infantry uniforms and aircraft. No pun intended but it can be a mine field!

Good luck and looking forward to seeing how you get on  :-))

Ian
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 22 queries.