Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Trim tabs  (Read 6411 times)

pete_486

Trim tabs
« on: August 13, 2007, 12:35:47 am »

i hate trim tabs thats why you got some  ;D...........Pete

2772e

• Simon
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Sea Shall Not Have Them
Re: paint on hulls
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 08:49:21 am »

You dont need trim tabs if the boat is set up with the C of G. Just something else to slow the boat down.

Try adjusting the stinger.

Regards

Simon
Rubbin is Racin!

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 09:41:46 am »

No worries mate was teasing yaa,Simon thats asuming your boat doesnt need tabs some do .There are plenty out there who need them no matter where the boat balances .I installed them on mine cos i like them and it def makes adjustments at the lake easy ,i can alter them to suit the conditions in a matter of seconds.some hulls run well without while others dont ,what do you do if your hull has a twist or a hook in it? you will def need tabs then .My hull gets very flighty (design ) the only easy way to overcome it is tabs ,since installing mine i havent had a problem at all.If speed is a problem get a your zen modded that big lump of glass could def do with one  ;D.but then you will have to race a diff class maybe?.

2772e

• Simon
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 06:45:50 pm »

Hi Mart,

Long time, trim tabs on 1/1 boats are used mainly for leveling the boat when in a cross wind or cross tide. Bit difficult on a model. Where outboards, i/o or surface piercing is used adjust the leg/stinger for the ride height. Sunken is a whole new ball game.

Get your point though, all down to preference!

Winter project is a new motor and some tweaks, wanted to get this year under my belt and experience and test the water  ;D. Same class covers up to 50cc.
Rubbin is Racin!

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 10:52:10 pm »

hi simon the tabs pete gave me are double tabs so inner are used for ride adjustment up and down and the outer ones are for turns.you can also use them to overcome bad behaviour due to hooks.by the way try one of daves zen 7 motors you wont regret it a mate of mine has one and it flies.unstopable in the right boat.

pete_486

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007, 11:47:35 pm »

naw mart ive gone sikk :D

AC RAZOR 45

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 04:22:14 am »

hi pete sikk is the the way to go those zen 7s dont last a sesson when being raced, by the way mate makara loooking good..

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 08:31:41 am »

naw mart ive gone sikk :D
Sikk engines have issues from what ive read ? 2 bolt head? on a 4hp engine? id go with zens all the way.No one races them in the states that has to be for a reason.As for the zen 7 not lasting a season i think Dave will have something to say about that.

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 12:04:00 pm »

I've used International boat paints (Brightside) in the past, brush on and they level themselves really nicely. I've also used a brush-on 2 part epoxy primer from Hempel, bites really hard. I then use Multona over the top. I've done one boat with an automotive clear but it is too much hassle to fix when it gets damaged so I haven't bothered with clear since.
My hull gets very flighty (design ) the only easy way to overcome it is tabs
Try moving the cg forward with weight, that works as well or adjust the angle of your drive. I had trimtabs on my woody, were I to build it now I would leave them off unless I couldn't solve handling issues in any another way... If you have hook or twist in your boat then trim tabs are just masking the problem, fix the problem....Anything in the water is causing drag and slowing you down.......

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2007, 02:13:15 pm »

no hooks or twists in my hull mate in fact id say its better than some glass hulls ive seen  ;) from you know where.id say the drag caused by tabs is very minimal and well worth the slight loss in speed if any  ;).

pete_486

Re: Trim tabs
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2007, 09:22:13 pm »

oh by the way Mart a sikk motor is 5bhp and with the pipe ive got that boosts it to 6bhp plus with the 257 ported and polished carb who knows  ;D but ya can keep yer trim tabs  ;).........Pete

AC RAZOR 45

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2007, 09:48:57 pm »

hi pete the sikk in the form you have is touching 7 hp

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2007, 10:42:02 pm »

a  stock sikk is 4.5 hp with a pipe its 5 .5 hp asuming its 25.4 cc ? but with a 2 bolt head its asking for trouble.ive read a lot of bad reviews on them i wouldnt trust 2 bolts to hold it together at 4 hp never mind 7  :o.Pluss if you want the engine modded in the future the zen is probably the better option too pluss it has 4 bolts to hold the head on  ;D,that said im sure it will be fine  ;) .one thing i have read is to change the stock cylinder base gasket for a.005 copper gasket as the one it comes with blows out and then the cylinder will rock and break the bolt lugs off the jug ,theres that 2 bolt problem again also the reason a sikk puts out more power than a stock zen 260 is because the zen is stock the sikk is actually somewhat modded at the factory.All the records are held by zens not sikks too dont be fooled by the hp of a stock sikk as there arent any they are all modded(they are zen clones).zens made in japan sikks made in china (clone).Can you tell me how come youd pay more for a china copy of a japanese orriginal?.
http://www.oneillbrothers.com/rcboat/more_info/26cc_sikkmotor.htm

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2007, 11:27:37 pm »

CY SIKK otherwise known as CHUNG YANG,imported by sikk which is an american company who buy the CHUN YANG clones and rename them SIKK
http://www.davesmotors.com/store/cy23rcparts.html
http://www.davesmotors.com/store/cymarineparts.html

pete_486

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2007, 12:27:42 am »

its 27cc and is 5 bhp stock

pete_486

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2007, 12:34:55 am »

the two bolt jug does not have any probs what so ever.
and they do race them in the states plus the top omra boys use them as well

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2007, 12:45:42 am »

the two bolt jug does not have any probs what so ever.
and they do race them in the states plus the top omra boys use them as well

Pete they do have problems as ive just told you,do a search on rcu and read it for yourself.the sikk is a cloned zen with a 2 bolt head lots of guys think the sikk is more powerfull which isnt true the stock sikk as they call it isnt stock its modded at the factory unlike the zen which is not.Do the same mods to the zen and im sure you will see the same hp.If the sikk is so good why do they not hold any records?.When you say the top omra boys who are we talking about? some of blue fishys sponsored drivers? maybe thats because they run them as thats part of the deal to get his sponsorship?.How many engines do you know of that have 2 bolts to hold the jug together? stands to reason that 4 is stronger than 2 its just common sense.

kurt cave sikk 27

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2007, 10:40:39 pm »

martin.well.well well.what can we say,you seem to know it all once again mate,i really can not be bothered to get into this with you but it seems that you just like to say things to see who you can upset,you well know who i am and what i run,the sikk 27 engine is a good all round engine.giving good power and speed,and the only reason they dont hold any records yet mate is becouse they are new,unlike the zenoahs that have been around for years,i have modded my sikk and it flys in my cobra as most people in omra will agree,the 2 bolt head is not a problem at all,and i have never had a problem with the bottom gasket blowing out yet,so it would seem that the 2 bolt works well,garys boat is winning the championship at the moment with a sikk 27 engine,not a zenoah,so that counts for something,and as for the engines we run,we run them becouse we like them,nothing to do with the sponsor,i was running sikk engines long befor i was sposored,and i was also running zens,i just like the power the sikk gives you over the zen,and the size of prop you can pull with the sikk,all said and done it is what you preffer and that is what makes boating fun,as the choice is yours,mine is sikk.    kurt

AC RAZOR 45

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2007, 10:53:10 pm »

ill second that i have run the zens, and i have seen what the sikk engines can do so thats why both my ac razor and my makara have got sikk engines,............and huge props which thy are well capable of turning.........alan

pete_486

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2007, 11:42:37 pm »

well kurt what can i say  ;D
ive gone sikk because you rate them and my makara should be done soon with a bonzi quet(fook it i cant spell) pipe on it.
look forward to meeting you again ............Pete

kurt cave sikk 27

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2007, 12:06:08 am »

pete,my sikk engine speaks for itself,as you and everybody else that has seen it knows,looking forward to setting your engine up for you soon,so hurry up and get that boat of yours done mate,regards kurt

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2007, 01:06:01 am »

Kurt i do not know you from adam  >:(,sikk is a cloned zen as i said and have had problems for all to see.You say your sikk is powerfull ? well are you saying a modded zen cannot match it?.Im not here to upset you or anyone just stating facts.The sikk has had problems with the gasket blowing out and the lugs on the head breaking ,i even see some dealers selling sikks with a spare head i wonder why that is ?.Ive read a few bad things about the sikk but never any about the zen .I agree its personal choice ,when your engine blows a gasket or your lugs break off be sure to let me know so i can tell you i told you so  :D By the way how many of your buddys run zens ?.If your sikk can swing a big prop then surely thats down to the mods you did? any engine can be modded to put out higher torque same as they can be modded to rev high surely?.You seem to be saying the sikk is better than a zen which is just not true and you know it.Ive also talked to a few guys from the states who have been modding zens for years and a few of them say the same thing the sikk is made from inferior materials (cheap) and the zen is the way to go if you intend to mod them.im no expert on engines but ive done plenty of research on the sikk and the zen and i wouldnt  buy a sikk over a zen going by what ive seen and been told.Im glad your engine is doing well for you though but ill stick to zens thanks.I just dont trust the 2 boolt head ive seen what happens when a jug comes apart not a pretty sight.

kurt cave sikk 27

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2007, 05:20:25 pm »

lots of my  friends run zens,i have run them.i have even had one of daves zen7.ran them all mate.zens will not pull a 482 prop.sikk will standard,i run a 482 on my apachee 56",and the only zen that i have seen so far that is faster than my sikk is daves boat in his sigma,i race with people running zens martin,and i dont have a problem passing them at all,trying to finnish a race on the other hand is another story,i must learn that its not always about all out speed,upside down boats dont win races if you know what i mean,i understand that you are only going on about what you read,and some people may have the odd problem.but i have not.so on that basis i can only say what i know.i have been into boats now for 26 years and racing 1/5 th cars for at least 14 years and have tryed every small 2 stroke known to man and modded most of them.the zen is a bloody good engine but £ for £ you get better power and value for money with a sikk 27.now that they are £185,thats £145 cheaper than daves zen 7 and still able to pull a 482 prop.put a 482 prop on a zen and see what happens martin,i know what happens as i have tryed.i still have a boat with a zen in but it has a mhz conversion on it,runs sweet,i just like what the sikk gives you for your money,dont knock something untill you have seen one or tryed on,come to sale on sunday and have a look mate,there will be a few sikk engine boats running there and you can bring you weedwacker down and have a laugh with the rest of us kids,i leave it up to you the offer is there if you are interested ,i would just like for you to see some of these boats run,we are a friedly bunch.,,,,,,,,,,,,,kurt

2772e

• Simon
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2007, 08:55:42 pm »

Kurt,

What is happening this weekend!

Mart, check the OMRA website, a SIKK powered boat is running away with the championship this year. 5 wins on the trot i think, with no reliability issues. Racing puts a lot more pressure on them.

Speaks for itself?

Simon
Rubbin is Racin!

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2007, 09:24:36 pm »

no worries mate i dont get how a sikk puts out more power than a zen though? sikk is modded from the start they dont make em stock.anyways lets not get into that again hehe,thanks for the offer but ill pass ,my time for boating is limited to one day or nite a week so its dificult to travel so far to be honest.ill be at windermere to see you guys run in september.Maybe someone should run a zen 7 in a sigma in omra and see which ones faster  ;).
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.