Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: German type VIIC or VIIB Uboat  (Read 13906 times)

JosephHuntley

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: German type VIIC or VIIB Uboat
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2016, 05:01:47 am »

correct my first one will be american since my german stuff was so low quality and I got over 1000 factory drawings of the balao. most ppl do the gato but the balao was the next generation after the gato and at the time the largest class

JosephHuntley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2016, 08:31:39 am »

Ok so tonight was able to get all the planes located for all the bulkheads. tomorrow night after work I will work on drawing out the bulkheads and getting them onto the planes ready for surface lofting my hull shape

JosephHuntley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2016, 01:04:36 pm »

well I started tracing lines and was going to try and trace them and just go for it but my problem is lines run together and some hard to discern so i think I will try to find a good top view and profile view and loft it with minimal lines then use the loft for my intermediates. dont know how it will work but will try as this is getting frustrating as i am used to cleaner top and profile outlines and not compound shapes on the hulls because of a second part of the hull like subs have

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2016, 08:36:53 pm »

Joe,

Just an idea get the moderators to rename your build as American type...............?

Leaving it as German stops people finding your build
Gunna build those other boats one day.

johnredearth

• Full Mayhemer
  • Scratch building obsession
    • ScratchbuildwithJohn
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2016, 08:56:26 pm »

HI

I have got some nice plans but in your scale they would not be adequate I think.  Have you given thought as to how it will work?  The thing about scratchbuilding subs is that the end product is equally informed by the technical and the modelling.  I have scratchbuilt a V11C 1:50 and it was much harder than I thought it could be, but the work was satisfying. 

Cheers  John

JosephHuntley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2016, 10:20:44 pm »

well once i get things figured out will make new thread and delete this one

if you have them digital john and could share would appreciate as it would be a start I can always enlarge them i just need something I can loft the hull from then i can use that to get any extra formers etc i need

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
USS Pompantio Submarine
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2016, 02:04:24 am »

Joseph

Renaming your thread was simple.......it now has the name of USS Pompantino, but is still linked to your original postings

When you say....'good top view and profile view and loft it with minimal lines then use the loft for my intermediates'......you mean Plan view and Elevation view, however to loft lines, you still need End Elevation views looking from on the bow and also looking on the propeller

The latest end elevation view you show looking on the bow as you say is complicated with so many closely spaced frame profiles, however there is no reason why you cannot reduce these in number and hence improve the visual clarity. Trial and error here will assist...you could consider the inclusion of every 4th frame as a starting point

Naturally there will be areas of the hull where dramatic profile or changes in section occur and in these areas referencing back to a more detailed frame spacing will be required

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

JosephHuntley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2016, 02:12:26 am »

i dunno if saying it correct yes i need a top view and a side view dont need a front view.

the drawins show 3 basic parts the sub hull core (ie the main tube), the flat deck area on top of the core. and the side bulges of the outter hull.

what I need is just the center core i need the top deck and side bulges gone in order to do a proper loft as that gives me 3 things. the outlines for the top and bottom of the hull core so I can use them as guides, plus the bulkhead height in that location, and the bulkhead width in that location. I will see if I can find a screen shot of one of my aircraft lofts to explain what I mean

JosephHuntley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2016, 02:27:01 am »

as you can see here in the blue its just the basic shape then I loft the cowl turtledeck fins etc seperate later then I will cut out any shapes that need cut out in the body. you can see the red top and bottom guides that i used for the fuse former heights and widths

JosephHuntley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2016, 02:28:22 am »

by lofting in this way i get a clean smooth body shape and if there are more shapes like in this case the turtledeck I do them seperate. this makes the lofting of complicated things easier

JosephHuntley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2016, 04:35:44 pm »

well right now i jumped back to my 1/6th scale higgins landing craft while i try to figure out how to get the dimensions and outlines i need for lofting the hull for the sub. like I said the bulges on the side and the flat deck on top the sub hides the true outlines of the main sub body which is making it impossible to get the info I need to loft the hull

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2016, 06:11:15 pm »

Maybe if you seek out some photos of these boats 'in build', when viewed without their final structures fitted, it may become clearer as to which way to proceed.
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

JosephHuntley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2016, 06:35:55 pm »

well the problem is i need the top and bottom of center section and the sides to use as a guide for the proper dimensions for the bulkheads to size them for the loft. I will try to find a screen shot to explain as several ppl have messaged me kinda lost what I am trying to do

JosephHuntley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2016, 07:01:38 pm »

ok in the first picture you can see top profile guide, lower profile guide, and the red line is the side or the guide for the sides from the top view.

I need the guides to give me the proper height and width at each station then I need to use them for the loft to guide the shape

TomP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2016, 09:25:48 pm »

Hi Joe, don't know much about American subs but have this drawing of USS Cod are they of any use to you?

JosephHuntley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2016, 09:47:10 pm »

thanks I have shipyard drawings of a few subs but like what you posted the same problem the walkway and ballast bulges on the sides dont show the true shape of the pressurized hull. maybe i am being a little too "xxxxx" but i like to be as accurate as I can because a lot of my projects I do for museums and such so now trying to expand aircraft into boats and subs so that I can widen my work scope

JosephHuntley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2016, 12:53:27 am »

I was just messing around adding the TOO for my Higgins LCVP and it dawned on me maybe I can find the TOO for a sub. I have one for the Pompanito but the stern numbers are all covered with garbage from when the microfilm was copied. so maybe I can find some TOO for it online thats cleaner

JosephHuntley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2016, 05:43:38 am »

i am thinking of scratch building my own steampunk sub then I can have all kinds of cool tubing and gears on the outside etc and not worry about needing to be exact scale though that still wouldnt solve my urge to design a sub accurately

JosephHuntley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2016, 05:17:05 pm »

Last night i had got frustrated and had decided that for now just to get me a cool sub designed and not worry abt accuracy. to solve this I had decided to do something I havent seen before (but is probably out there somewhere) and do a Steampunk or Dieselpunk sub. would be cool with all kinds of gears and tubes on it. I still might but last night I had an epiphany and that is I need to trace the top view and profile view, then use those and the  body plan drawings and enlarge them to match the top and profile view at the highest an widest part of the boat. doing this should get me close to the ballpark, and then with so many bulkheads along the length it will naturally give me the shape of the pressure hull. at least that is the theory.

I know  most of this sounds like blubbering nonsense these posts, however there is a method to my madness. by posting my thought processes now as a totally lost noob, maybe others in my same predicament that are also lost but do not want to post admitting it, may learn. also as you just noticed above, by rambling along i may have just found the solution to my problem. I do stuff for the movies, museums, and military bases with my planes so they have to be as accurate as possible, and over the years I got very good at finding the info I needed and drawing them up. So I am very "xxxxx" when it comes to designing as I need it to be almost perfect. I am new to this and having a lot of problems with finding my info and unlike in the plane world not a lot of people share what they have collected, or just that the info isnt out there. so if this works out for my hull design it will be a major milestone for me and i will just have to accept it as the best I can do for now until I can find some sub drawings with tables of offsets for the boat. once I have TOO and decent number of drawings I can just make an excel sheet and import the curve files into my cad program.

so bear with me as i blubber my way into something here soon as this has been mainly my research and learning and once i get going it will become more interesting. in the meantime as I work out the kinks in my theory I think I will do something steampunk and see if I cannot design a sub that will blow people away.

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2016, 07:05:16 pm »

Blubbering away is an entirely acceptable method of designing a model. Certainly much more detailed than my version of CAD, Cardboard Aided Design.
For Steampunk and other Nautilus subs have a look at   http://www.vernianera.com/Nautilus/Catalog/

Many excellent designs on there, plus two of mine %)

JosephHuntley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2016, 12:20:07 am »

I got the nautilus drawings directly from Disney along with some other info like the real one is only 200 ft not the 300 odd many people do. I drew it up on commission need to rework for radio control but you see too many mine will be unique even thought about the red skull mini sub too will find out tonight when I get home from work and start drawing I have some red stuff from concept art I might mash up either way it will be cool

JosephHuntley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2016, 05:01:18 am »

heres my solidworks version i been working on for the nautilus

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2016, 08:05:03 am »

Goffs Nautilus is the gold standard of steampunk, even before the term existed. Very nicely done there.
Designing my Nautilus has taken a radically different approach to yours, evolving in stages and currently lurking in a box somewhere as a 22 inch Depron foam mock up. Which from time to time, gets extras glued on or filed off, before being stared at for weeks!
Both design options have their merits, but hats off to your method, most impressive.

JosephHuntley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2016, 05:35:13 pm »

well I found the perfect base for my sub looks really cool will make some modifications. will mess with it tonight after work. I worked on blocking it out but need to do some adjustments to get everything correct before I start.

JosephHuntley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2016, 04:30:56 am »

Well tonight started working on a second steampunk design as the first one is going to take a while to get all the proportions figured out. so this one will start with a basic cigar shape then add to it. will be much simpler for me for a first sub.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 23 queries.