Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The last time I deal with small photo etched bits!  (Read 868 times)

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
The last time I deal with small photo etched bits!
« on: April 21, 2022, 03:02:22 pm »

<*<

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
Re: The last time I deal with small photo etched bits!
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2022, 06:01:35 pm »

Very nice - I have Lord Nelson at 1/96 scale!

Cheers

Geoff

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2022, 07:16:49 pm »

Thanks Geoff, so you'll understand the size of the 1:350 bits of brass! :-))

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2022, 09:40:08 pm »

Ah, the last class of Pre Dreadnought with so many great ideas that were then ignored for Dreadnought.

Yours is a lovely model.

Pond weed is your enemy

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2022, 04:18:48 pm »

Technically they were post Dreadnought as they were completed after Dreadnought as resources were diverted to Dreadnought. The main benefit of Dreadnought was actually turbine propulsion which increased fleet speed and reliability.

The LN class were very powerful ships for their time and little inferior to the early Dreadnoughts particularly at closer ranges and therein lies the issue. When designed LN were to fight at relatively short range where their 9.2" guns were first rate armor piercing weapons. At long range their powers dropped off significantly and the mixed battery with different flight times became very problematical to control.

Dreadnought with a uniform 12" battery facilitated long range gunnery as you just need more shells to hit a target at long range. Uniform gun size also gave the same flight times of shells so were much easier to aim.

We tend to think of the old pre-dreadnoughts with their 6" secondary batteries as such but in reality in the 1899 time the 6" battery was considered to be part of the main armament to smother the enemy whilst the slower firing 12" guns finished them off. By LN and Dreadnought times the rate of fire of 12" guns had increases from one round every one to two mins to two rounds every min so there was a massive increase in actual firepower which again facilitated long range.

Longer range was also dictated by the invention of the heater unit in torpedo's and the gyroscope for accuracy so big ships had to stay outside effective torpedo range to fight, so again longer ranges came in. In fact the torpedo menace was vastly overestimated in real war situations. Battleships carried torpedo's as they were such a powerful weapon but (other than Nelson/Bismarck 1941 and that is disputed) no battleship ever torpedoed another battleship!!

A fascinating period in naval architecture.

Cheers

Geoff
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.